Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:10 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,889,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post

1 Corinthians, chapter 12

1: Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
2: Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.
3: Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
4: Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5: And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6: And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

7: But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8: For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9: To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10: To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11: But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every
man severally as he will.

12: For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
13: For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
I am rather amazed that you would quote 1 Cor 12, which applies to the manifestation of the HOLY SPIRIT. That scripture has absolutely NOTHING to do with Lisa Williams, or any other medium! If you read the Bible, you'll find that it forbids consulting (listening) with mediums. I believe this means not watching them on TV, or in person, or having anything to do with them at all, period. Mediums are a very good example of the FALSE
gifts of the spirit at work. (mainly false word of knowledge, and false word of wisdom) For every good gift of the Spirit, God's Spirit, there is a false imitation from the devil. They are false because people think they are from God. As we get further into the last days, we can expect more of this stuff. Please listen to the Christians who have made replies...they are telling the truth...read the Bible and see for yourself. Beware.

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 10:40 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,894,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I am rather amazed that you would quote 1 Cor 12, which applies to the manifestation of the HOLY SPIRIT. That scripture has absolutely NOTHING to do with Lisa Williams, or any other medium! If you read the Bible, you'll find that it forbids consulting (listening) with mediums. I believe this means not watching them on TV, or in person, or having anything to do with them at all, period. Mediums are a very good example of the FALSE
gifts of the spirit at work. (mainly false word of knowledge, and false word of wisdom) For every good gift of the Spirit, God's Spirit, there is a false imitation from the devil. They are false because people think they are from God. As we get further into the last days, we can expect more of this stuff. Please listen to the Christians who have made replies...they are telling the truth...read the Bible and see for yourself. Beware.

Bud
Good points, bud!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 PM

3,870 posts, read 4,084,347 times
How much does this chick get paid? Not a bad gig if you can get away with it I suppose. Wake up people! How gullible can some be........quite a bit it sounds like. Penn and Teller should have her come along for the ride, she'd fit right in. I prefer the Blue Man group myself, but Lisa could be entertaining too!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:29 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,795,029 times
Whether Lisa Williams or the others are the real deal isn't quite the point being made. I think the point trying to be made is for Christians to wake up and realize that these kinds of practices, TV shows, etc., whether real or for entertainment, goes against God and his word. We should not participate in any way, shape or form with these practices. We should not turn a blind eye and pretend it's inocuous or innocent fun that doesn't hurt anyone when, according to God's word and our faith, they definately are neither. Our beliefs tell us this type of practice is the gateway for evil to enter our lives. We need to realize this and not just 'pooh-pooh' it away and especially not get it confused with the gifts from the Holy Spirit, which are different.

At least, that's my take on it. Please, correct me if I'm mistaken.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:34 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,657,672 times
Paul and Silas Imprisoned
Acts 16:16-23

16 Now it happened, as we went to prayer, that a certain slave girl possessed with a spirit of divination met us, who brought her masters much profit by fortune-telling. 17 This girl followed Paul and us, and cried out, saying, “These men are the servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to us the way of salvation.” 18 And this she did for many days.
But Paul, greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And he came out that very hour. 19 But when her masters saw that their hope of profit was gone, they seized Paul and Silas and dragged them into the marketplace to the authorities.
20 And they brought them to the magistrates, and said, “These men, being Jews, exceedingly trouble our city; 21 and they teach customs which are not lawful for us, being Romans, to receive or observe.” 22 Then the multitude rose up together against them; and the magistrates tore off their clothes and commanded them to be beaten with rods. 23 And when they had laid many stripes on them, they threw them into prison, commanding the jailer to keep them securely.

Coming from a person who use to believe in this, God is the only one who knows your future , the devil can only guess due to familar demonic spirits knowing what you do daily.... truly.... it is just a trick to take you far away from the Lord.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:37 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,894,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Paul and Silas Imprisoned
Acts 16:16-23

16 Now it happened, as we went to prayer, that a certain slave girl possessed with a spirit of divination met us, who brought her masters much profit by fortune-telling. 17 This girl followed Paul and us, and cried out, saying, “These men are the servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to us the way of salvation.” 18 And this she did for many days.
But Paul, greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And he came out that very hour. 19 But when her masters saw that their hope of profit was gone, they seized Paul and Silas and dragged them into the marketplace to the authorities.
20 And they brought them to the magistrates, and said, “These men, being Jews, exceedingly trouble our city; 21 and they teach customs which are not lawful for us, being Romans, to receive or observe.” 22 Then the multitude rose up together against them; and the magistrates tore off their clothes and commanded them to be beaten with rods. 23 And when they had laid many stripes on them, they threw them into prison, commanding the jailer to keep them securely.

Coming from a person who use to believe in this, God is the only one who knows your future , the devil can only guess due to familar demonic spirits knowing what you do daily.... truly.... it is just a trick to take you far away from the Lord.
That was the exact scripture I was looking for. Great job.

mams, that's the scripture I asked you about in that message!

Great job, stargazer, what a great poster you are!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:04 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,795,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
That was the exact scripture I was looking for. Great job.

mams, that's the scripture I asked you about in that message!
I was looking it up when I got here ...

Yes, great job, stargazer. Isn't it a "coincidence" you happened to post that passage just as Alpha was informing me about his view on that passage privately? That's the work of the Holy Spirit

Old 12-01-2007, 10:22 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,459,766 times
Much of the Holy Bible was received through Psychic Phenomena and many of its stories are about Psychic Phenomena.

The Eternal Law ordained to govern all Creation is in effect today just as it was in Biblical times.

AND GOD hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, after that gifts of healings, helpers, governments, diversities of tongues. -I Corinthians, 12:28

Old 12-01-2007, 10:27 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,648,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Totally of the devil! She smells like smoke!
have you actually smelled her?

Old 12-01-2007, 10:31 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,459,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I wonder if people in authority follow her predictions..I would hate to think that the people in authority make their decisions based on "readings" from medioms
President Reagan did I know for sure! Maybe not her predictions but someones.....

Last edited by Miborn; 12-01-2007 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity