Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 10:41 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
You don't?
No I don't.

Can you describe the voice of God? What does God say to you? When does God talk to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 11:17 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You need to read the history of Christianity.
Try AD 381 Nice book with the facts

Old 12-24-2013, 11:19 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
No I don't.

Can you describe the voice of God? What does God say to you? When does God talk to you?
I have found that those who claim God speaks directly to them, are not hearing anything.

Now listening to what God has said in His Word the Bible will allow us to "hear" Him, if we read out loud.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:55 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,072,655 times
The RC Church always, until sometime in the 20th century, most definitely taught that all non-Catholics were doomed to hell.
I have heard or read of a great many Catholics who were taught that position, growing up. Read Frank McCourt's novel "Angela's Ashes" - or any bio of Rose Kennedy. Sometime in the 20th century, the Vatican's official position got more flexible.

During the long dictatorship of Generalissimo Franco in Spain (from 1930s until 1975), RC'ism was the only recognized religion in Spain. Protestants and others were not allowed to advertise, to publish or sell heretical literature, or to be military officers or government officials.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Try AD 381 Nice book with the facts
We can only approximate the facts.

But, we do know that Christianity was fractured into different sects. Some did not even accept the divinity of Christ. The Arian concept of Christ is that the Son of God did not always exist, but was created by—and is therefore distinct from—God the Father.

Marcion wanted to get rid of the OT.

The Nicene Creed brought order to Christianity. It clearly forms the mainstream definition of Christianity. Theodosius the subject of the book issued decrees that effectively made Nicene Christianity the official state church of the Roman Empire.

It is what it is. There is no point at castigating men that thought like men of that era. What really saddens me is to see men in this era that think exactly like these men did more than a 1500 years ago.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
The RC Church always, until sometime in the 20th century, most definitely taught that all non-Catholics were doomed to hell.
I have heard or read of a great many Catholics who were taught that position, growing up. Read Frank McCourt's novel "Angela's Ashes" - or any bio of Rose Kennedy. Sometime in the 20th century, the Vatican's official position got more flexible.

During the long dictatorship of Generalissimo Franco in Spain (from 1930s until 1975), RC'ism was the only recognized religion in Spain. Protestants and others were not allowed to advertise, to publish or sell heretical literature, or to be military officers or government officials.
At least you quote more recent history. Nevertheless, that is not the position of the CC today. Just read the Catechism with regards to other Christians.

From the catechism:
(see bold)

838 "The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist."324

Old 12-24-2013, 12:30 PM

668 posts, read 690,531 times
Quote:
No I don't.

Well you need to become a follower of Jesus Christ so you will.

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Old 12-24-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I have found that those who claim God speaks directly to them, are not hearing anything.

Now listening to what God has said in His Word the Bible will allow us to "hear" Him, if we read out loud.
Well put! That is how God speaks almost exclusively today.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
At least you quote more recent history. Nevertheless, that is not the position of the CC today. Just read the Catechism with regards to other Christians.

From the catechism:
(see bold)

838 "The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist."324
So when did the official stand of the RCC change to this new concept? I don't recall hearing about it.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
So when did the official stand of the RCC change to this new concept? I don't recall hearing about it.
It all started with Vatican II in 1959.

But, even after that people continue to say and spread the old Catholic Church.

We need to leave the Dark Ages behind.

In the 1600s the RCC thought Galileo was a heretic for advancing the heliocentric theory and in the early 20th century Monseigneur Georges Lemaître, a Jesuit priest and physicist was the first MAN to propose the Big Bang based on pure mathematics. Lemaître was not considered a heretic. That is progress, even if it took 300 years.

The Pontifical Academy of Sciences is headquartered in the Casina Pio IV in the heart of the Vatican Gardens. The academy holds a membership roster of the most respected names in 20th century science, including such Nobel laureates as Ernest Rutherford, Max Planck, Otto Hahn, Niels Bohr and Charles Hard Townes. That is progress!

So what we have in the 21st century are a bunch of Christians that are stuck in the Dark Ages. Many of them post in this forum regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity