Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:36 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Correct, but we are speaking English so use Jesus. We don't use any other name in it's original language, say like Paulus, Moshe, etc.
I agree. I dont think God is all caught up on the linguistics that the sacred name movement make him out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 03:38 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Jesus expects His followers to know Him and His identity , so You can call Jesus anything you like , as long as Jesus know it is He that you identify with as there is no one but the Son of God who you can identify with , and where the righteousness for salvation come from .... So if your righteous prayers are answer from the perfect will of God , and grace of God through the blood of Jesus , and Your prayers are answered then Jesus knows your heart ..... If your prayers are not answered then you have the wrong God , and any faith is basically legalism motivated , where Jesus Holy Spirit is still waiting for you

Old 01-09-2014, 03:57 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
Yeshua, Yehoshua, Yahoshua, Joshua, Iesous, Iesu, Jesu, Jesus, Emmanuel,
does not matter at all !! The Shepherd knows His flock.
And plenty of people spoke Greek around Jesus.. so he certainly was called
"Iesous" aka English "J"esus (the letter J was not invented until about the 16th century)

Old 01-09-2014, 04:26 PM

668 posts, read 690,856 times
I recall back in the 1990's there was this guy who had a radio program on WLAC at night. You could hear it over much of the US. He started out as a "Jesus" only preacher. At some point he changed and decided that since Jesus was also God that he must be called "YAHWEH" therefore the real name of the savior must be "Yahweh" and he started preaching "Yahweh" only.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:01 PM

33,238 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
God identified Himself to Moses both as 'I AM', and by His name YHVH. So . . . not a pagan name.

Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM" (הָיָה אֲשֶׁר הָיָה; ’eh·yeh ’ă·šer ’eh·yeh); and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Exodus 6:2 God spoke further to Moses and said to him, "I am the LORD; 3] and I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name, LORD (יְהֹוָה; Yhvh; Yahweh), I did not make Myself known to them.

Pulpit Commentary on the translation 'I AM THAT (WHO) I AM'.

Verse 14. - I AM THAT I AM. No better translation can be given of the Hebrew words. "I will be that I will be (Geddes) is more literal, but less idiomatic, since the Hebrew was the simplest possible form of the verb substantive. "I am because I am" (Boothroyd) is wrong, since the word asher is certainly the relative. The Septuagint, Αγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν, explains rather than translates, but is otherwise unobjectionable. The Vulgate, sum qui sum, has absolute exactness. The idea expressed by the name is, as already explained, that of real, perfect, unconditioned, independent existence. I AM hath sent me to you. "I am" is an abbreviated form of "I am that I am," and is intended to express the same idea.
Exodus 3:14 Commentaries: God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Apologetics Press - Did the Patriarchs Know Jehovah by Name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And they are wrong

Such a translation [in English] as “I am what I am” appears to be ruled out completely by the fact that the verbs [in Hebrew] here are imperfects. “I am” is the normal translation of the Hebrew perfect, not an imperfect. ... The translation offered here relates this explanation of the name to covenants with the patriarchs. As such it was a basis of assurance concerning Yahweh’s presence and support. This thought is made explicit in the verse that follows, and the proper name Yahweh, the memorial name, is made synonymous with the description “I shall continue to be what I have always been.” This makes the description a restatement of Yahweh’s faithfulness an assurance that he will fulfill the covenants with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.—J. Wash Watt, Professor of Old Testament, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, 1930-1968, A DistinctiveTranslation of Exodus With An Interpretative Outline, 1977, pp. 140–1.

The translation I am [in English] is doubly false: the tense is wrong, being present; and the idea is wrong, because am [in such an incorrect translation] is used in the sense of essential existence. All those interpretations which proceed upon the supposition that the word is a name of God as the self-existent, the absolute, of which the Septuagint’s ho ohn is the most conspicuous illustration, must be set aside ... the nature of the verb [in Hebrew] and the tense peremptorily forbid them.—A.B. Davidson, “The Theology of the Old Testament”, in The International Theological Library, 1920, p. 55.

And they ignore VS 15 totally.
Actually, according to this site - Home [THE NAME OF GOD AS REVEALED IN EXODUS 3:14; An explanation of its meaning, by K J Cronin] there has not been a consensus of the correct meaning of ’eh·yeh ’ă·šer ’eh·yeh in 2300 years. In part one of this site it gives a comprehensive study on how Exodus 3:14 has been translated with regard to ’eh·yeh ’ă·šer ’eh·yeh in Jewish Bible Translations, the Talmud and Midrash, Medieval Jewish thought, the Kabbalah, Modern Jewish Philosophy, Contemporary Jewish interpretation. And after going into a textual Analysis of Exodus 3:13-15 the author concludes with;
In summary, therefore, the words Ehyeh asher Ehyeh of Exodus 3:14a are God's Self-identification to Moses, just as they are understood in the Septuagint, and the absolute Ehyeh of Exodus 3:14b is the Personal name of God and translates into English as I AM. The two Ehyeh of Ehyeh asher Ehyeh are identical in meaning, as proposed by Maimonides and Sarna, but they have complementary functions within the Self-identification, as explained above.
So if you want to play scholar versus scholar, go ahead. But you will have to do it with someone else. I side with 'I AM WHO I AM' as being correct in that God was stating His eternal and absolute self existence. If you don't agree, that's your choice.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:25 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
His name went from Ioesus to Iesus to Jesus. It started out as Yahushah which mean Yah is salvation. Its after all the transliteration we get Jesus, but the real transliteration of Yahushah is Joshua.
Jesus was a Hebrew with a Hebrew name, there is no way his parents would have named him a Greek/Latino name. Just like a man in Africa is not going to name is son Chung Li Tong or a Chinese naming their son Babtoomday Kaharaw
We do not have any manuscripts written in Hebrew with his name. The NT was written in Greek, and it was written as "Iosesus", as you said, or "Jesus". The apostles wrote in Greek, and they wrote it that way. I see no reason why we should call him anything else.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:50 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,529,224 times
I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board for it looks like the Most High as Ahayah Asher Ahayah is out. Read on;
Quote:
Trying to discover the true name of the Most High has been a toiling task. Time after time I have come across a name which I have thought to be true only to discover later that , that name also is false and a deception. Up until recently I have been teaching that the name of the Most High in the Hebrew is ahayah asher ahayah, however in light of information that has been brought to my attention, I must regrettably conclude that ahayah asher ahayah IS NOT the name of the Most High power. I apologize to everybody for teaching this error and I am currently adjusting my blogs in which this name has been mentioned and subsequently erasing the name and the teachings thereof. A two hour plus conversation with a close friend of mine in which we both went through the evidence together clearly shows that the name ahayah asher ahayah is in fact linked to the Kabbalah, JewISH mysticism, black magic, the forces of darkness and evil. Once again, I apologise for this prior teaching of error but this simply shows everybody here that man is not infallible and that he does make mistakes. Ahayah Asher Ahayah | Exposing Corruption Under Every Rock

Old 01-09-2014, 05:52 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
I believe the whole sacred name movement leads to Pride. I think it's clear that any doctrine that leads to sin is false doctrine.

God is pleased with submission, obedience, and trusting Him from the heart. I don't believe that the sheep that loves Christ and is in submission to Him in His Words calling Him Jesus not Yahushua or Yeshua matters at all to God.

Some would suggest they are praying to Zeus by using Jesus or Baal when using Lord but I think that is silly and unfruitful. God's looking at the heart.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:25 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
I AM, and WILL BE with YOU.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:29 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board for it looks like the Most High as Ahayah Asher Ahayah is out. Read on;
That is generally the fruit of the sacred name movement as I've experienced. A bunch of debates regarding how to pronounce and spell the name correctly. I don't think God is glorified in any of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity