Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:30 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,133,422 times

Advertisements

Even in anyone on here chose Sunday or a different day for rest instead of the biblical Sabbath, does anyone on here actually do what is required n the Sabbath

-Do no work
Exodus 20:9-10

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

-Make no purchases and dont conduct business on the Sabbath
Nehemiah 13:15-17

New King James Version (NKJV)

15 In those days I saw people in Judah treading wine presses on the Sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and loading donkeys with wine, grapes, figs, and all kinds of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the Sabbath day. And I warned them about the day on which they were selling provisions. 16 Men of Tyre dwelt there also, who brought in fish and all kinds of goods, and sold them on the Sabbath to the children of Judah, and in Jerusalem.
17 Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said to them, “What evil thing is this that you do, by which you profane the Sabbath day?

-Turn away from all your pleasures that have nothing to do with God Isaiah 58:13-14Isaiah 58:13-14

13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

While Neh & Isaiah are not in the Torah, those 2 verse are used by Sabbath keeping crowd as to what you can and cant do on the Sabbath as to how you can keep it Holy.

Which brings the question back up, On Sunday if that is your day or rest, do you not buy anything, not go out to eat, not watch any TV, or refrain from going on the internet for fun or doing anything of pleasure that is not focused on God. While this may seem extreme, this is actually what is required to keep the Sabbath Holy we were are going by scriptures. So I dont think we can say any day can be a Sabbath, because even if you kept Saturday, it is alot you cant do in this modern world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 09:48 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Keeping the Sabbath is a lot like tithing, prayer and "fear" of the Lord --- It's for OUR benefit, not God's - because it helps us keep our priorities and relationship with God rightly ordered. These things are also only understood when one obeys ... not as an intellectual exercise. This is what Jesus meant when He taught, "Man is not made for the Sabbath; the Sabbath is made for man".

One can 'legalize' the things of God or submit to them. For example, one can make such a big deal about a particular 'Sabbath day of the week', that they lose track of “keeping the Sabbath in their heart” (aka: "straining at a gnat, yet, swallowing a camel"). Love the Lord with your heart, mind, soul and strength ... and the rest will take care of itself.

Last edited by jghorton; 01-14-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Keeping the Sabbath is a lot like tithing, prayer and "fear" of the Lord --- It's for OUR benefit, not God's - because it helps us keep our priorities and relationship with God rightly ordered. These things are also only understood when one obeys ... not as an intellectual exercise. This is what Jesus meant when He taught, "Man is not made for the Sabbath; the Sabbath is made for man".

One can 'legalize' the things of God or submit to them. For example, one can make such a big deal about a particular 'Sabbath day of the week', that they lose track of “keeping the Sabbath in their heart” (aka: "straining at a gnat, yet, swallowing a camel"). Love the Lord with your heart, mind, soul and strength ... and the rest will take care of itself.
I think alot of folks attach modern Christianity about the Sabbath is because we will make every excuse as to why not to observe it when God says to keep that day holy, but will go out their way to back other days not commanded by God.

Honetsly, I would if God even really cares about the whole Sat vs Sunday debate that mankind goes over now adays.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:17 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I think alot of folks attach modern Christianity about the Sabbath is because we will make every excuse as to why not to observe it when God says to keep that day holy, but will go out their way to back other days not commanded by God.
Honetsly, I would if God even really cares about the whole Sat vs Sunday debate that mankind goes over now adays.
Under the old Constitution of the Mosaic law [ Romans 10 v 4 ] God DID care which day was the Sabbath.

Since Sabbath keeping was only part of the Mosaic law for only one nation, the nation of ancient Israel, and that old law was replaced by Jesus NEW commandment of John 13 vs 34,35; 15 vs 12,13 to have self-sacrificing love for others.

Bible principles and standards still apply, but Christians are to keep the anniversary remembrance of Jesus' day of death.
-Luke 22 v 19

What does Colossians 2 vs 14 say but that the Constitution of the Mosaic law [ written document ] is blotted out.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:33 PM

6 posts, read 6,977 times
Did not God, our Creator, set apart the 7th day as a particular time and space well before there were “Jews” or “Law”? Doesn’t Genesis 2 indicate that God acted as an example for His creation by setting-out the 7th day from the other 6 days? Surely it wasn’t God, the Creator, that needed the rest. [by the way…the Hebrew for “REST” (shebbat) and “SEVEN” (sheba) come from the same Hebrew root (sh-b-t=shin bet tav). “Seven” and “Rest” are intertwined.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:50 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodWanderer View Post
Did not God, our Creator, set apart the 7th day as a particular time and space well before there were “Jews” or “Law”? Doesn’t Genesis 2 indicate that God acted as an example for His creation by setting-out the 7th day from the other 6 days? Surely it wasn’t God, the Creator, that needed the rest. [by the way…the Hebrew for “REST” (shebbat) and “SEVEN” (sheba) come from the same Hebrew root (sh-b-t=shin bet tav). “Seven” and “Rest” are intertwined.
Jesus gave only one day to set aside for Christians [ Luke 22 v 19 ] in the Hebrew Lunar calendar that day is the Spring month of Nisan and the 14th day. In other words, Jesus replaced the Passover Day with the Anniversary Day of his death.

According to the apostle Paul, God's Genesis 7th day rest was still on going in the first century.- Hebrews 4 vs 4 - 10

God rested from his creative works. In other words, God stopped with his doing any more creating for earth.
However, Jesus was clear that, although God was Not doing more creative works, God is still working - John 5 v 17

Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Jesus gave only one day to set aside for Christians [ Luke 22 v 19 ] in the Hebrew Lunar calendar that day is the Spring month of Nisan and the 14th day. In other words, Jesus replaced the Passover Day with the Anniversary Day of his death.

According to the apostle Paul, God's Genesis 7th day rest was still on going in the first century.- Hebrews 4 vs 4 - 10

God rested from his creative works. In other words, God stopped with his doing any more creating for earth.
However, Jesus was clear that, although God was Not doing more creative works, God is still working - John 5 v 17

I am sorry...I didn't derive from the reference in Luke that he was discussing Sabbath.

If God is finished or not creating (Hebrew=bara) or making (Hebrew=asah) this may make an interesting discussion but may not be helpful to the "Sabbath" discussion here...although there may be merit pondering the "re-creation" after the deluge/flood and its similarities with the "first creation".

My participation is more a textual issue and less a moral/religious issue. I have found direct Catholic Church statements that clearly show THEY (the Catholic Church) changed Saturday worship to Sunday worship...because they had both the power and authority to do so. How do you argue that? Either they do have the authority or they don't. I can read the early church history and study the various church councils and see WHEN the change was made but it doesn't solve IF the change should have been made. I have to rely on TEXT not Opinion (the "churches" or anyone else's).Sunday Worship (i.e. “the first day of the week”) is taken from only eight verses from the New Testament:

Matthew 28:1In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first [day] of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Mark 16:2 And very early in the morning the first [day] of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Mark 16:9 Now when [Jesus] was risen early the first [day] of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

Luke 24:1 Now upon the first [day] of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain [others] with them.

John 20:1 The first [day] of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

John 20:19 Then the same day at evening, being the first [day] of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace [be] unto you.

Acts 20:7 And upon the first [day] of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

1 Corinthians 16:2 Upon the first [day] of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as [God] hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

FIRST, you must be conscience of how the translator places words from the Greek text into English. Any words that are NOT in the original manuscripts (copies) but are added to the English text to help “smooth” the English reading are placed in brackets [] to bring attention that the word(s) inside of the bracket are NOT in the original manuscript (copies) but are simple ADDED by the translator to help the English reader better understand the meaning that the translator thinks the passage is trying to convey.

There are several Greek words for “day”, the most common for the 24 hour—or specifically the daylight portion of a singe “day”—is the word “hemera”. In NONE of the above references does the word “day” or ANY Greek equivalent appear in the text, but it was ADDED BY THE TRANSLATOR to support his own understanding of the event(s) happening within the original manuscript.

Illustration how this is true:

Matthew 28:1In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first [day] of the week…
De G1161 Now (or) At this timebut 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132
Opse G3796 At the End in the end 1, even 1, at even
sabbaton G4521 Of the Sabbath sabbath day 37, sabbath 22, week** 9
Epiphōskō G2020 As it began to dawn begin to dawn 1, draw on 1 “to begin to grow light”
Eis G1519 Toward into 573, to 281, unto 207, for 140, in 138, on 58, toward 29, against 26
Mia G3391 First one 62, first 8, a certain 4, a 3
Sabbaton G4521 [day] of the week sabbath day 37, sabbath 22, week** 9
Literal Translation Matthew 28:1: “Now, the end of the evening of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward one Sabbath…”

Matthew 28:1 is special because it contains the same Greek word TWICE but is translated into English as two different words with different English meanings. Even the Greek transliteration is evident of what the original manuscript is actually saying by the use of the Greek word “sabbaton”.

The translator is trying to solve a dilma by “smoothing over” a complication where a Sabbath is ending which is leading to another Sabbath. But this is the literal translation of the verse. If you were a Greek reader, reading the original manuscript, this is just how you would understand this verse. [The explanation of the Sabbath leading to another Sabbath, or a certain, or first Sabbath, makes perfect sense in the Hebrew/Jewish mindset, but is way too complicated for this post.]

68 times that the Greek “sabboton” is correctly translate as a literal “Sabbath” and indicates “the Jewish Sabbath Day”—EXCEPT for these 8 places (9 places including the aforementioned verse in Luke 18:12).

A check on the remaining 7 references to see if the English is faithful to the Greek manuscript or if the Greek text has been modified to English readers:

Mark 16:2And very early in the morning the first [day] of the week…”
Kai G2532 And and 8173, also 514, even 108, both 43, then 20, so 18, likewise 13
Lian G3029 Very exceeding 5, greatly 4
Prōï G4404 Early in the morning in the morning 5, early in the morning 2, early 2, morning 1
sabbaton G4521 [day] of the week sabbath day 37, sabbath 22, week** 9
Literal translation: “and exceeding early in the morning, one Sabbath day…”

Mark 16:9 “Now when [Jesus] was risen early the first [day] of the week…”
De G1161 Now (or) At this timebut 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132, also 18, yet 16, yea
anistēmi G450 When [Jesus—added word] was risen arise 38, rise 19, rise up 16, rise again 13, raise up 11
Prōï G4404 Early in the morning in the morning 5, early in the morning 2, early 2, morning 1
sabbaton G4521 [day] of the week sabbath day 37, sabbath 22, week 9
Literal translation: “and now at the rising up in the morning of a certain Sabbath Day…”

Luke 24:1 “Now upon the first [day] of the week…”
De G1161 Now (or) At this timebut 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132, also 18, yet 16, yea 13, so 13
Literal Translation: “but a certain Sabbath Day…”

John 20:1The first [day] of the week cometh Mary…”
De G1161 Now (or) At this timebut 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132, also 18, yet 16, yea 13, so 13

John 20:19 “Then the same day at evening, being the first [day] of the week…”
Oun G3767 Then therefore 263, then 197, so 18, and 11, now 9, wherefore 8, but 5
ekeinos G1565 The same that 99, those 40, he 40, the same 20, they 14
hēmera G2250 Day day 355, daily + 2596 15, time 3
opsios G3798 At evening even 8, evening 4, in the evening + 1096 1, eventide + 5610 1, at even + 1096 1
Ōn G5607 Being being 36, when was 8, which is 17, that is 8
Literal Translation: “then, that day, at the evening, which being, one Sabbath….”

Acts 20:7 “And upon the first [day] of the week, whenthe disciples came together to break bread…”

De G1161 Now (or)
At this time
but 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132, also 18, yet 16, yea 13, so 13, moreover 13, nevertheless 11, for 4, even
En G1722 Upon in 1902, by 163, with 140, among 117, at 113, on 62, through 39
Literal Translation: “Now, upon the first (or a certain) Sabbath Day…”.

1Corinthians 16:2Upon the first [day] of the week let every one of you lay by him in store…”

Kata G2596 Upon according to 107, after 61, against 58, in 36, by 27
Literal Translation: “accordingly after one Sabbath let every one of you lay by him to store up….”.

A very interesting verse because literally it was determined that AFTER the Sabbath a collection should be taken up…not during the Sabbath, 7th day, which was determined that no business transactions should be done during this set-apart day, but that the following day (Monday, or 1st day of the week) would be lawful to conduct such business transactions.

**NOTICE:WEEK” is used instead of “Sabbath” only in these 8 verses (and once in Luke 18:12) and nowhere else in the NT. All other places in the NT the Greek “sabbaton” is correctly translated “Sabbath”.

The phrase “first day of the week”, which was used to prove that the “Lord’s Day” was the 1st day of the week (Sunday), in all 8 instances (9 counting Luke 18:12 passage), literally reads that the “sabbaton” (7th day) as the “Sabbath”. I am always drawn to texts that have deviated from the “normal” translation in order to make a doctrinal statement.

Anyway, I don't know if this helps furthers the discussion...but I thought it an interesting textual variant that is worthy of a discussion concerning “Sabbath”.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:01 PM

Sorry...don't know what all the junk is...I copied it out of my text editor?

Old 01-14-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post

I am sorry...I didn't derive from the reference in Luke that he was discussing Sabbath.

If God is finished or not creating (Hebrew=bara) or making (Hebrew=asah) this may make an interesting discussion but may not be helpful to the "Sabbath" discussion here...although there may be merit pondering the "re-creation" after the deluge/flood and its similarities with the "first creation".

My participation is more a textual issue and less a moral/religious issue. I have found direct Catholic Church statements that clearly show THEY (the Catholic Church) changed Saturday worship to Sunday worship...because they had both the power and authority to do so. How do you argue that? Either they do have the authority or they don't. I can read the early church history and study the various church councils and see WHEN the change was made but it doesn't solve IF the change should have been made. I have to rely on TEXT not Opinion (the "churches" or anyone else's).Sunday Worship (i.e. “the first day of the week”) is taken from only eight verses from the New Testament:

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first [day] of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Mark 16:2 And very early in the morning the first [day] of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Mark 16:9 Now when [Jesus] was risen early the first [day] of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

Luke 24:1 Now upon the first [day] of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain [others] with them.

John 20:1 The first [day] of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

John 20:19 Then the same day at evening, being the first [day] of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace [be] unto you.

Acts 20:7 And upon the first [day] of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

1 Corinthians 16:2 Upon the first [day] of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as [God] hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

FIRST, you must be conscience of how the translator places words from the Greek text into English. Any words that are NOT in the original manuscripts (copies) but are added to the English text to help “smooth” the English reading are placed in brackets [] to bring attention that the word(s) inside of the bracket are NOT in the original manuscript (copies) but are simple ADDED by the translator to help the English reader better understand the meaning that the translator thinks the passage is trying to convey.

There are several Greek words for “day”, the most common for the 24 hour—or specifically the daylight portion of a singe “day”—is the word “hemera”. In NONE of the above references does the word “day” or ANY Greek equivalent appear in the text, but it was ADDED BY THE TRANSLATOR to support his own understanding of the event(s) happening within the original manuscript.

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first [day] of the week…

De (G1161): "Now (or)At this time"=but 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132
Opse (G3796) "At the End"=in the end 1, even 1, at even
sabbaton (G4521) "Of the Sabbath"=sabbath day 37, sabbath 22, week** 9
Epiphōskō (G2020) "As it began to dawn"=begin to dawn 1, draw on 1 “to begin to grow light”
Eis(G1519) "Toward"=into 573, to 281, unto 207, for 140, in 138, on 58, toward 29, against 26
Mia (G3391) "First"=one 62, first 8, a certain 4, a 3
Sabbaton (G4521) "[day] of the week"=sabbath day 37, sabbath 22, week 9

Literal Translation Matthew 28:1: “Now, the end of the evening of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward one Sabbath…”

Matthew 28:1 is special because it contains the same Greek word TWICE but is translated into English as two different words with different English meanings. Even the Greek transliteration is evident of what the original manuscript is actually saying by the use of the Greek word “sabbaton”.

The translator is trying to solve a dilma by “smoothing over” a complication where a Sabbath is ending which is leading to another Sabbath. But this is the literal translation of the verse. If you were a Greek reader, reading the original manuscript, this is just how you would understand this verse. [The explanation of the Sabbath leading to another Sabbath, or a certain, or first Sabbath, makes perfect sense in the Hebrew/Jewish mindset, but is way too complicated for this post.]

68 times that the Greek “sabboton” is correctly translate as a literal “Sabbath” and indicates “the Jewish Sabbath Day”—EXCEPT for these 8 places (9 places including the aforementioned verse in Luke 18:12).

A check on the remaining 7 references to see if the English is faithful to the Greek manuscript or if the Greek text has been modified to English readers:

Mark 16:2 “And very early in the morning the first [day] of the week…”

Kai (G2532) "And"=and 8173, also 514, even 108, both 43, then 20, so 18, likewise 13
Lian (G3029) "Very"=exceeding 5, greatly 4
Prōï (G4404) "Early in the morning"=in the morning 5, early in the morning 2, early 2, morning 1
sabbaton (G4521) "[day] of the week"=sabbath day 37, sabbath 22, week** 9

De (G1161) "Now (or) At this time"=but 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132, also 18, yet 16, yea
anistēmi (G450) "When [Jesus—added word] was risen"=arise 38, rise 19, rise up 16, rise again 13
Prōï (G4404) "Early in the morning"=in the morning 5, early in the morning 2, early 2, morning 1
sabbaton (G4521) "[day] of the week"=sabbath day 37, sabbath 22, week 9

Literal translation: “and now at the rising up in the morning of a certain Sabbath Day…”

De (G1161)0 "Now (or) At this time"=but 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132, also 18, yet 16, yea 13

John 20:1 “The first [day] of the week cometh Mary…”

De (G1161) "Now (or) At this time"=but 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132, also 18, yet 16, yea 13,

Oun (G3767) "Then"=therefore 263, then 197, so 18, and 11, now 9, wherefore 8, but 5
ekeinos (G1565) "The same"=that 99, those 40, he 40, the same 20, they 14
hēmera (G2250) "Day"=day 355, daily + 2596 15, time 3
opsios (G3798) "At evening"=even 8, evening 4, in the evening + 1096 1, eventide + 5610 1
Ōn (G5607) "Being"=being 36, when was 8, which is 17, that is 8

Literal Translation: “then, that day, at the evening, which being, one Sabbath….”

Acts 20:7 “And upon the first [day] of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread…”

De (G1161) "Now (or)At this time"=but 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132, also 18, yet 16, yea 13
En (G1722) "Upon"=in 1902, by 163, with 140, among 117, at 113, on 62, through 39

1Corinthians 16:2 “Upon the first [day] of the week let every one of you lay by him in store…”

Kata (G2596) "Upon"=according to 107, after 61, against 58, in 36, by 27

Literal Translation: “accordingly after one Sabbath let every one of you lay by him to store up….”.

A very interesting verse because literally it was determined that AFTER the Sabbath a collection should be taken up…not during the Sabbath, 7th day, which was determined that no business transactions should be done during this set-apart day, but that the following day (Monday, or 1st day of the week) would be lawful to conduct such business transactions.

**NOTICE: “WEEK” is used instead of “Sabbath” only in these 8 verses (and once in Luke 18:12) and nowhere else in the NT. All other places in the NT the Greek “sabbaton” is correctly translated “Sabbath”.

The phrase “first day of the week”, which was used to prove that the “Lord’s Day” was the 1st day of the week (Sunday), in all 8 instances (9 counting Luke 18:12 passage), literally reads that the “sabbaton” (7th day) as the “Sabbath”. I am always drawn to texts that have deviated from the “normal” translation in order to make a doctrinal statement.

Anyway, I don't know if this helps furthers the discussion...but I thought it an interesting textual variant that is worthy of a discussion concerning “Sabbath”.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodWanderer View Post

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first [day] of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first [day] of the week…

De (G1161): "Now (or)At this time"=but 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132
Opse (G3796) "At the End"=in the end 1, even 1, at even
sabbaton (G4521) "Of the Sabbath"=sabbath day 37, sabbath 22, week** 9
Epiphōskō (G2020) "As it began to dawn"=begin to dawn 1, draw on 1 “to begin to grow light”
Eis(G1519) "Toward"=into 573, to 281, unto 207, for 140, in 138, on 58, toward 29, against 26
Sabbaton (G4521) "[day] of the week"=sabbath day 37, sabbath 22, week 9

Mark 16:2 “And very early in the morning the first [day] of the week…”

Kai (G2532) "And"=and 8173, also 514, even 108, both 43, then 20, so 18, likewise 13
Lian (G3029) "Very"=exceeding 5, greatly 4

De (G1161) "Now (or) At this time"=but 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132, also 18, yet 16, yea
anistēmi (G450) "When [Jesus—added word] was risen"=arise 38, rise 19, rise up 16, rise again 13
sabbaton (G4521) "[day] of the week"=sabbath day 37, sabbath 22, week 9

De (G1161)0 "Now (or) At this time"=but 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132, also 18, yet 16, yea 13

John 20:1 “The first [day] of the week cometh Mary…”

De (G1161) "Now (or) At this time"=but 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132, also 18, yet 16, yea 13,

Oun (G3767) "Then"=therefore 263, then 197, so 18, and 11, now 9, wherefore 8, but 5
ekeinos (G1565) "The same"=that 99, those 40, he 40, the same 20, they 14
hēmera (G2250) "Day"=day 355, daily + 2596 15, time 3
opsios (G3798) "At evening"=even 8, evening 4, in the evening + 1096 1, eventide + 5610 1
Ōn (G5607) "Being"=being 36, when was 8, which is 17, that is 8

Acts 20:7 “And upon the first [day] of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread…”

De (G1161) "Now (or)At this time"=but 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132, also 18, yet 16, yea 13
En (G1722) "Upon"=in 1902, by 163, with 140, among 117, at 113, on 62, through 39

1Corinthians 16:2 “Upon the first [day] of the week let every one of you lay by him in store…”

Kata (G2596) "Upon"=according to 107, after 61, against 58, in 36, by 27

**NOTICE: “WEEK” is used instead of “Sabbath” only in these 8 verses (and once in Luke 18:12) and nowhere else in the NT. All other places in the NT the Greek “sabbaton” is correctly translated “Sabbath”.

I dont think many have actually taken the time to realize why he took up collections on the 1st of the week and that Paul was not saying that churches are to gather on the 1rst day to take up an offering.

Like you mentioned, you could not conduct business on the Sabbath and the only reason he was taking up an offering was to help the needy in Jerusalem. So putting 1 Cor 16:2 on collection envelopes is kinda milking a verse to get offerings that will help the church and not the needy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity