Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:02 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,161,265 times

Advertisements

What does this mean to you, I see people quote it all the time, yet there always seems to be disagreements on what it means and always 2 opposite directions of what it means as well.

Jeremiah 31:31-33

31 “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them,[a] says the Lord. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

and

Hebrews 10:16-18

New King James Version (NKJV)

16 “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,”[a] 17 then He adds, “Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”[b] 18 Now where there is remission of these, there is no longer an offering for sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 05:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,871,401 times
IMO, it is saying, the same thing Jesus said (Matt 5:17) "“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

He came to move faith, love and rule-following from our head to our heart; making them a living commitment ... as was always God's intent.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:07 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,958,132 times
Jesus "fulfilled" Law by reducing the intent of law to one "new commandment." When we live in that love which is vested concern for the well-being of everyone, there is no need for "law," but our actions will proceed from that heartfelt concern.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:41 AM

See here are 2 examples already.

It means the law wasn't abolished and everything still stands or the law was fulfilled and now replaced with Love One Another.

So which is it?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:47 PM

439 posts, read 427,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
What does this mean to you, I see people quote it all the time, yet there always seems to be disagreements on what it means and always 2 opposite directions of what it means as well.

Jeremiah 31:31-33

31 “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
There is no question... I know what this means. (YOU DID SAY, "What does this mean to you")

New = new, fresh
Covenant = between God and man: alliance (of friendship), covenant (divine ordinance with signs or pledges)

God says He's going to make a new covenant with His people, not like the one He had with the ones in the OT. He's going to bring forth a new covenant and it will be a law! By receiving this new covenant we know He will write the law in our minds and on our hearts, He will be our God and we shall be His people. But what is this new covenant? I'm glad you asked...

Quote:
Hebrews 10:16-18
New King James Version (NKJV)
16 “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,” 17 then He adds, “Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.” 18 Now where there is remission of these, there is no longer an offering for sin.
Since you quoted it in NKJV, I'm going to show you the KJV and back it up a verse! You missed the KEY to all this. You also didn't include the rest of the scriptures after it. So I'm going to add some in to show you what the new covenant is...

15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, 16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; 17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. 18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

Ok, we see in verse 15 (the one you left out) the Holy Ghost! The Holy Ghost was given as part of the new covenant.

Did you see verse 18? Now we no longer have to offer up offerings for sin like they did in the OT. Now more goats or lambs had to die to atone for the past years sin. The covenant has changed.

Now look...

23 Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise.
26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.

What is the promise in verse 23? And notice how verse 26 says you can still sin after you receive this knowledge of truth, and if you do, the sacrifice is no more.

The Promise:

Acts 2
33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Back it up... Let's see this Holy Ghost...
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

So now, we see what the promise is. It's the new plan of salvation, the new covenant. It's a free gift and it's for everyone who calls on His name. We can have this promise just by calling on Him and we can receive it.

So, if you want my opinion about the written law... you now have it =) The written law is a new covenant, the new alliance between God and man, a new sign, HIS PROMISE! The promise of repentance, baptism and the Holy Ghost (speaking in tongues as the spirit - God -gives the utterance).

Last edited by JuniPearl; 02-04-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 06:57 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,432,123 times
What does "The Law Written On Our Hearts" mean to you?

"A new heart of flesh; and renewing of the mind, as Old things have passed away."

Old 02-05-2014, 04:09 PM

9,699 posts, read 10,056,360 times
When believers get born again in the spirit they receive Jesus Spirit which is inbred with this character of God and the law written of the heart is this Spirit ...... Then is law which is written of the heart through the spirit of God a some of these laws can be corrupted by tolerances which believers can water down the fear of God and resist the lead of the spirit and the law can be overruled by believers , and Jesus will honor the tolerances which are not of Jesus and His spirit , but the character and the love and fruit of the spirit and rules of ethics can be renewed when believer forsake the corruption and follow Jesus instead of their own determination ........ See Jesus sees self determination , and Heavens determination and who the believer will follow

Old 02-05-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
See here are 2 examples already.

It means the law wasn't abolished and everything still stands or the law was fulfilled and now replaced with Love One Another.

So which is it?
What is the reason for law?

Old 02-05-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
What is the reason for law?
To point out our sins and bring us to Christ according to Galatians 3, but that means they have to still be valid in order for us to even know what sin is.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
To point out our sins and bring us to Christ according to Galatians 3, but that means they have to still be valid in order for us to even know what sin is.
Not really an answer because it still leaves the question of sin. What is wrong with it? What does it do? What do we have if there is no sin? Why would law point it out?

Look for the bottom line in other words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity