Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:11 PM

222 posts, read 715,840 times

Advertisements

I am very attracted to Christianity, but I was not raised in a Christian home. For the past few months, I have attended a Protestant church and have frequently read the Bible. I am at the point that I can say that it is very possible that Jesus is the Messiah spoken of in the Old Testament. The problem is that I am not 100 percent sure even though I'd like it to be true. How I can make that leap of faith?

Do true Christians have areas of doubt? How do you deal with that, especially if you do not come from a Christian background. Isn't it easier to believe if you were exposed to Christianity as a child rather than as an adult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:32 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,239,346 times
"Faith come by hearing and hearing by the Word of God." Romans 10:17

If you have a Bible, read it daily, pray, ask God into your life to confirm his existence. It's like any other relationship that grows with time, but you have to put the effort in to knowing Jesus Christ and learning his Word. You speak to him through prayer, and he speaks to you through His word primarily.

I have no doubt Jesus is the Son of God and the Creator of the Universe. However, I have doubts that he will take care of me and sometimes I worry about finances, health, future, which shows a lack of faith. Everyone's faith falters here and there. However, when I read his word, I'm stronger and my faith grows and anxiety diminishes.

Psalm 16:8 I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

I will pray for you that you catch the fire because it sounds like you want to know him and have a relationship.

Oh I was not exposed to Christianity as a child, I came to know Jesus as an adult.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:17 PM

439 posts, read 427,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galee View Post
I am very attracted to Christianity, but I was not raised in a Christian home. For the past few months, I have attended a Protestant church and have frequently read the Bible. I am at the point that I can say that it is very possible that Jesus is the Messiah spoken of in the Old Testament. The problem is that I am not 100 percent sure even though I'd like it to be true. How I can make that leap of faith?

Do true Christians have areas of doubt? How do you deal with that, especially if you do not come from a Christian background. Isn't it easier to believe if you were exposed to Christianity as a child rather than as an adult?
I'm so glad to hear that you are eager to learn more! I was raised in church, I don't know any different! I have NEVER EVER EVER doubted my beliefs and whether or not He is real. Not saying it's not possible!!!! But I've seen too much in my lifetime to believe He isn't real! I've seen Him raise people from the dead, even after they were gone for over 30 minutes! The power of prayer is an amazing thing! I've seen miracles and healings! Not to mention, He's done so much for me and my family! He has blessed us tremendously! I would love to send you something in a private message. I have plenty of proof to show you He is real and He IS coming back. VERY soon!!!! I don't mean to sound crazy, but we are on the brink of the final 7 years. I DO believe He is going to come back in our lifetime!!! Once you find it for yourself, you will never question anything again! Pray, pray, pray!!! Ask for wisdom, knowledge and understanding. He will never hide the truth from anyone who seeks to know Him. He has always shown me every time I pray those prayers. You can do it. Hang in there!!! I'm behind you, praying with you and for you!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:29 PM

Thank you so much for encouraging message. Yes, feel free to send me a private message if you like. I would like to hear from you.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:33 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,934,307 times
Quote:

As JB intimates, these are very exciting times for a Christian to live in (I however am not convinced He is returning any time soon-- it is during a time which will never be expected rather is what I feel). Pray in Christ's name for the Holy Spirit to give you guidance when you read the Bible and you will see that what is written about mankind in His word is the same things that are going on in the world today. Only the faith which has been given to me by God has enabled me to believe in the truth of Scripture, but outside of that that which the Bible presents being an accurate reflection of the world (as I know it now and as an amateur student of history) is by itself a very convincing argument, to me, for its veracity (thought doubtless no one on earth should accept that alone as his basis for believing that the Bible is Absolute Truth).

I also come from an irreligious background and now attend a Protestant Church (which one do you attend?), having been led to the Presbyterian faith (a conservative branch of it). I have very many doubts and I'm afraid my faith is a weak one. Coming from a highly rationalistic and scientific background, if I place myself objectively to the mind set I had before, it appears to that person whom I was without faith that what I believe in is no better than a fairy tale (for the lack of repeatable experiments which can confirm it as "truth"). So I have my doubts based on my rational mind, but I trust in God and not the world and I rest entirely on the finished work of Christ my Lord and Saviour.

I pray that the Lord will give you the ability to make that leap of faith--knowing God is the only thing of any worth and lasting value in this lost and hopeless world.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:45 PM

712 posts, read 2,147,553 times
Quote:

Do true Christians have areas of doubt? How do you deal with that, especially if you do not come from a Christian background.
Let me say that most of the jesus story is a fiction.. however if you'd like to hear what I think is the real one.. check it out http://www.crimsoncircle.com/Library...y_Shoud_04.mp4

Yeshua was a cool guy.. and just like just about any person today (sorta)

Quote:
Isn't it easier to believe if you were exposed to Christianity as a child rather than as an adult?
No, I never really "believed" I could only hear the lies or fake beliefs people told themselves...

Yeshua lived 2,000 years ago.. we have 2,000 years of worship and 2,000 years of people to change the story of who he was.. and interesting enough the story (link) talks about some of things they made up about yeshua.. like he wasn't a carpenter! He wasn't born from a virgin! lol

Old 02-03-2014, 09:49 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,639,363 times
Quote:

Not from what I know. While I may have come from a Christian background, I made the choice to be a Christian. It's the same for everyone. Don't pressure yourself. You take the time you need to decide what's right for you. God isn't sitting on his throne judging you. He's up there watching you with love hoping you make the decision to have eternal life and be with him in Heaven forever.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:54 PM

Basiliximab: Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I grew up in a home that was very rational and scientific. I don't think I ever heard my parents talk about God or faith. Living in the northeast, most people around me are secular humanistic types, good people, but not God-fearing. I do have one Christian friend who introduced me to the Presbyterian Church which I now attend.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:55 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,941,088 times
I have no doubt that the Way Jesus taught is the Way to live in community. What is attractive to you about Christianity?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:24 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,531,765 times
[quote=galee;33315221]
Quote:
I'd recommend reading John and Romans. Don't skim over them, instead meditate on the words. Don't think you can only read them once. I've read them hundreds of time over the years and each time something new comes to light.

Quote:
Whether all true Christians will have periods of doubt, I don't know. What I do know after many years of reading the biographies and autobiographies of great Christian men and women some theologians, some evangelists, most have had doubt. Billy Graham writes of a time when he was so full of doubt he considered giving up.

I'm often surprised how many say they are going to church yet do not approach their pastor for spiritual guidance. The pastor is there waiting.

Personally, I don't think it is any easier to become a Christian whether young or old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity