Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 01:20 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
As JB intimates, these are very exciting times for a Christian to live in (I however am not convinced He is returning any time soon-- it is during a time which will never be expected rather is what I feel). Pray in Christ's name for the Holy Spirit to give you guidance when you read the Bible and you will see that what is written about mankind in His word is the same things that are going on in the world today. Only the faith which has been given to me by God has enabled me to believe in the truth of Scripture, but outside of that that which the Bible presents being an accurate reflection of the world (as I know it now and as an amateur student of history) is by itself a very convincing argument, to me, for its veracity (thought doubtless no one on earth should accept that alone as his basis for believing that the Bible is Absolute Truth).

I also come from an irreligious background and now attend a Protestant Church (which one do you attend?), having been led to the Presbyterian faith (a conservative branch of it). I have very many doubts and I'm afraid my faith is a weak one. Coming from a highly rationalistic and scientific background, if I place myself objectively to the mind set I had before, it appears to that person whom I was without faith that what I believe in is no better than a fairy tale (for the lack of repeatable experiments which can confirm it as "truth"). So I have my doubts based on my rational mind, but I trust in God and not the world and I rest entirely on the finished work of Christ my Lord and Saviour.

I pray that the Lord will give you the ability to make that leap of faith--knowing God is the only thing of any worth and lasting value in this lost and hopeless world.
Without doubts (sans doubts), faith has no chance at all. When you have certainty, the evidence can be tested scientifically or at least rationally. One does not have to lose one's scientific bent or understanding of creation/evolution to be a disciple of Jesus. The Bible, a book that deserves much study (and critical thinking) is very much flawed because it was written by flawed men. On the other hand, it records numerous instances of God using flawed men for great purposes. Abraham was a liar who told someone that his own wife was really his sister. Moses was a murderer whom God chose to lead His people from slavery. Sampson was a mighty man and warrior brought low by a guile of a woman. Jacob was a cheat who stole his brother's birthright. David was a king who couldn't live with hundreds of wives and concubines, but lusted after another man's wife--and took her. The Bible records all these sad stories and then goes on to relate how God used these men for marvelous, wonderful purposes. So it is with the Bible. After one sorts through the mistakes, the additions and deletions to the earliest manuscripts by scribes who wanted to "improve" upon it, through the inevitable axes that some writers grind throughout their writing---God still shines through!!! That's how you can have doubt and faith at the same time.

For the OP, learn to walk in the steps of Jesus. Make everything you do a question about what Jesus would do. I've recently come to the conclusion that the word "Christian" is a misnomer anyway. No biblical writer ever referred to himself as "christian." Jesus referred to ALL of His followers as disciples (He chose 12 from among them to become apostles). I think the disciple tag is more appropriate for one who wants to be an adherent to a life with God.

Jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find. Knock and it will be opened to you." I've been a disciple for 51 years, but I'm still seeking (and finding). Seek with a sincere heart, and be less concerned about the "doctrines" of churches than about following in the steps of Jesus. His commandments were to "Love the Lord Thy God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. And the second is like the first, to love your neighbor as yourself."

That's a pretty short list of commandments, but a steep climb in terms of commitment. The hardest thing to realize is that being a disciple does not lift you one bit higher than the Charles Mansons of the world. We all stand on common ground before God. The difference for disciples is that they are grateful for God's mercy and hope to see that mercy extended to every other soul.

Our problem today is not in getting men and women saved. It's in getting them lost. You can't be saved until you know you are lost. You can't be "born again" as Jesus said we must, until you recognize that you are dead while you yet live.

If you make a commitment to Christ, be sure to count the cost. Getting saved is not as easy as walking an aisle and telling someone you want to be a "christian" or disciple. It means finding yourself in the pit of hell and knowing that only Jesus Christ can rescue you, realizing that He will, and committing yourself to live for Him. If He comes into your life there will be a change in you. Not a change that you generate, but rather one you can't stop. You will find that some things you are doing are no longer satisfying and that other things you never thought about will be appealing. That's the power and conviction that the Holy Spirit puts into us.

Finally, I leave you with a song which I hope will become the theme song for your transformed life. First the story behind it--

In 1887, just following an evangelistic meeting held by Dwight L. Moody, a young man stood to share his story in an after-service testimony meeting. As he was speaking, it became clear to many that he knew little about the Bible or acceptable Christian doctrine. His closing lines, however, spoke volumes to seasoned and new believers alike: I'm not quite sure. But I'm going to trust, and I'm going to obey.

Daniel Towner was so struck by the power of those simple words that he quickly jotted them down, then delivered them to John Sammis, who developed the lyrics to Trust and Obey. Towner composed the music and the song quickly became a favorite.

When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

Refrain
Trust and obey, for there's no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Not a shadow can rise, not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away;
Not a doubt or a fear, not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.

Refrain

Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay;
Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,
But is blessed if we trust and obey.

Refrain

But we never can prove the delights of His love
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.

Refrain

Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet.
Or we'll walk by His side in the way.
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.

Refrain

Lord Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in You.” (Psalm 84:11-12)

There are many praise songs in churches today, but few have the theological messages contained in the old hymns.

God bless

Last edited by Wardendresden; 02-04-2014 at 01:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 04:55 AM

175 posts, read 174,752 times
When Jesus was asked how one could be born again, His answer was, That it was a work of God.

The scriptures tells us that God reveals Himself in His time.

When it is time for you to come to the knowledge of the truth you will receive it.

We just have to be ready(anticipating, seeking, asking) when it happens.

Just remember, it's all up to Him

Old 02-04-2014, 05:20 AM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Even people who knew Jesus personally had doubts, some even rejected Him altogether and had Him hanged. The Pharisees heard Him preaching in the temple and still didn't believe. Let's not forget doubting Thomas and Peter who denied Him three times. And of course Judas his betrayer. Many other examples. It could be argued that Jesus Himself even struggled with His divinity, for example the agony in the garden and His words on the cross.

The capacity of the human mind to comprehend the greatness of God is limited, but God's love for us is unlimited. Keep an open mind and heart, and the Holy Spirit will lead you.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:42 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown0830 View Post
I'm so glad to hear that you are eager to learn more! I was raised in church, I don't know any different! I have NEVER EVER EVER doubted my beliefs and whether or not He is real. Not saying it's not possible!!!! But I've seen too much in my lifetime to believe He isn't real! I've seen Him raise people from the dead, even after they were gone for over 30 minutes! The power of prayer is an amazing thing! I've seen miracles and healings! Not to mention, He's done so much for me and my family! He has blessed us tremendously! I would love to send you something in a private message. I have plenty of proof to show you He is real and He IS coming back. VERY soon!!!! I don't mean to sound crazy, but we are on the brink of the final 7 years. I DO believe He is going to come back in our lifetime!!! Once you find it for yourself, you will never question anything again! Pray, pray, pray!!! Ask for wisdom, knowledge and understanding. He will never hide the truth from anyone who seeks to know Him. He has always shown me every time I pray those prayers. You can do it. Hang in there!!! I'm behind you, praying with you and for you!
If you have seen the things you say you've seen, then it would have made media attention globally...

Old 02-04-2014, 06:21 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Read the Gospels. John says it best.

Jn 20:30 Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book.
Jn 20:31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:54 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galee View Post
I am very attracted to Christianity, but I was not raised in a Christian home. For the past few months, I have attended a Protestant church and have frequently read the Bible. I am at the point that I can say that it is very possible that Jesus is the Messiah spoken of in the Old Testament. The problem is that I am not 100 percent sure even though I'd like it to be true. How I can make that leap of faith?

Do true Christians have areas of doubt? How do you deal with that, especially if you do not come from a Christian background. Isn't it easier to believe if you were exposed to Christianity as a child rather than as an adult?
Definitely read the Bible.

The next thing to do is to be careful about any church you attend. There are some 36000 or so denominations in the USA and all have slight to major variations in teaching. Learn what the Bible says and then compare to what you hear. If it doesn't sound right be cautious. Be careful of being driven by emotion or pressure from friends etc. Popular does not make it right.

It is like my wife told me about how she was taught as a bank teller to recognize a counterfeit money. She studied real bills and any bill that varied was a false one.

It gets confusing so look for straight forward teachings that are consistent with ALL scriptures and does not require weird explanations, no Biblical thoughts or just "faith" in the teacher, denomination, etc.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
I am very attracted to Christianity, but I was not raised in a Christian home. For the past few months, I have attended a Protestant church and have frequently read the Bible. I am at the point that I can say that it is very possible that Jesus is the Messiah spoken of in the Old Testament. The problem is that I am not 100 percent sure even though I'd like it to be true. How I can make that leap of faith?

Do true Christians have areas of doubt? How do you deal with that, especially if you do not come from a Christian background. Isn't it easier to believe if you were exposed to Christianity as a child rather than as an adult?
What helped me was reading Romans chapter 4 about Abraham and how Paul used Abraham as an example for us who are about to be believing God especially in Romans 4:20-25.

Has God ever lied to you? No.

Abraham believed God even when it was impossible for him and his wife to have a son. Yet he believed God in spite of this problem.

Now God is telling you: galee, do you believe Me? I am telling you that Christ died for your sins and was entombed and I raised Him from the dead. Do you believe Me? It's that simple. Do you belive Me just like Abraham believed Me? If you do I consider you righteous.

Notice I never asked Abraham to learn how to have a boy in his old age. I never asked him to clean up his act. I just wanted him to believe Me that what I said is so.

Now it's your turn. It is not a matter of feeling but faith. Do you believe Me. It's that simple.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:44 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
I would say, ask God to reveal himself to you and also to rightly divide the scriptures for you. There are millions of bible teachers in the world teaching things they ought not because they want to be teachers. You should definitely be aware of that so you don't have to be drawn into the voices of mere men. Just be real with God and tell him you want to know him. He will guide you. Be still and listen for his voice and look for Christ in others. Christ is in you already -- God planted the whole field with good seed.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:32 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:

Yes--Christians have doubts. To doubt is human. I'd be lying if I said I NEVER had any doubts ever. But when it comes down to it, I know that I know that I know that I know that Christ died on the cross for my sins.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:54 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Who doesn't want to yell "way to go"! for seekers. I love 'em! Man o man... just keep seeking.

Try reading C.S. Lewis. He was a non believer who came to belief. His insight may resonate with you. I always loved this quote as a template of belief.

Quote:
“The pain I feel now is the happiness I had before. That's the deal.”
~ C. S. Lewis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity