Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 12:06 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Where is Ken now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 12:17 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Where is Ken now?
It is sad what some people choose to do with huge piles of money, knowing how much suffering there is in the world.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:52 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Where is Ken now?

Just think of the cost of feeding all those animals too.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:05 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You can view it here.

Bill Nye Debates Ken Ham - HD - YouTube

Fossilization is a rare or relatively rare event and requires certain conditions to occur. Here are a couple of non-Christian sites regarding fossilization.

How Does Fossilization Occur? | eHow

Fossilization, How Do Fossils Form

However, Genesis 6:20 says - Of the birds after their kind, and of the animals after their kind, of every creeping thing of the ground after its kind, two of every kind will come to you to keep them alive.

God brought the animals to Noah.

Why are Kangaroos found only in Australia? Because Australia is geologically isolated from the rest of the world. So how did they get to Australia from the Ark? In the same way that they were brought to the ark. By means of God. A person who can think only in naturalistic terms, who does not believe in God, or does not believe in the supernatural or in miracles will not understand or accept this however.

The debate addressed the issue of the age of the earth. I am not, and never have been a young earth creationist. The Bible does not teach that the earth is only a few thousand years old. While the events in Genesis 1:2b and following took place in six literal 24 hour days, these events do not speak of the original creation of the heavens and the earth which is mentioned in Genesis 1:1.

I hold to the ruin-restoration gap view. These two sites address that. Since the first site may be a King James only site, I will state that I am not a King James only advocate. I simply post it because it concerns the ruin-restoration view of which I am speaking. One need not be a King James only advocate to accept the ruin-restoration gap view.

The Gap Theory interpretation of Genesis

Gap Theory of Genesis Creation | Learn The Bible
This thread, and my post (post #5) is four years old. I'm an old earth creationist but I no longer hold to the ruin restoration view.

I also believe the flood, while massive, was a local flood, perhaps based on the Black Sea flood, but that the author of Genesis used language of exaggeration to shape his theological point. The geology just doesn't support a global flood.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:38 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
It is sad what some people choose to do with huge piles of money, knowing how much suffering there is in the world.
It is not sad. It was financed, and since it is a museum, it will eventually pay itself back.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:12 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
This thread, and my post (post #5) is four years old. I'm an old earth creationist but I no longer hold to the ruin restoration view.

I also believe the flood, while massive, was a local flood, perhaps based on the Black Sea flood, but that the author of Genesis used language of exaggeration to shape his theological point. The geology just doesn't support a global flood.
After seeing this thread revived I was going to ask you if you still believed in the ruin restoration view. I am guessing that this change was influenced by Heiser?

Old 04-21-2018, 05:42 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
After seeing this thread revived I was going to ask you if you still believed in the ruin restoration view. I am guessing that this change was influenced by Heiser?
Actually, the main reason is that geology doesn't support it. The ruin-restoration view, as I learned it had the earth being originally created in a state of perfection. But as a result of Satan's rebellion the earth became a wreck and a ruin. God turned out the lights and encased the earth in ice making the earth a dark and dead planet until around six or ten or so thousand years ago when God restored the earth in the six days of creation which Genesis 1:2b and following describe. But there is no geologic record of the earth becoming a dead place. Sure there is the snowball earth hypothesis ''first proposed by American geobiologist J.L. Kirschvink suggesting that Earth’s oceans and land surfaces were covered by ice from the poles to the Equator during at least two extreme cooling events between 2.4 billion and 580 million years ago.'' - https://www.britannica.com/science/S...rth-hypothesis. But that doesn't fit the GAP or ruin-restoration view of creation. There was never a time when the earth was devoid of all life. And then there is the sun, moon and stars being created on the fourth creation/restoration day which just doesn't make any sense. In light of the evidence I just couldn't hold on to a belief that didn't line up with that evidence, so I discarded the ruin-restoration view.

However, Heiser, as well as others such as Peter Enns, John N. Oswalt, John D. Currid, and John Walton, as well as reading books such as 'Myths from Mesopotamia, Creation, the Flood, Gilgamish, and Others' , translated by Stephanie Dalley, and 'Stories from Ancient Canaan' edited and translated by Michael D. Coogan and Mark S. Smith have done a lot to shape my current views concerning how the Bible should be understood.

Last edited by Michael Way; 04-21-2018 at 05:58 PM..

Old 04-21-2018, 06:10 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Actually, the main reason is that geology doesn't support it. The ruin-restoration view, as I learned it had the earth being originally created in a state of perfection. But as a result of Satan's rebellion the earth became a wreck and a ruin. God turned out the lights and encased the earth in ice making the earth a dark and dead planet until around six or ten or so thousand years ago when God restored the earth in the six days of creation which Genesis 1:2b and following describe. But there is no geologic record of the earth becoming a dead place. Sure there is the snowball earth hypothesis ''first proposed by American geobiologist J.L. Kirschvink suggesting that Earth’s oceans and land surfaces were covered by ice from the poles to the Equator during at least two extreme cooling events between 2.4 billion and 580 million years ago.'' - https://www.britannica.com/science/S...rth-hypothesis. But that doesn't fit the GAP or ruin-restoration view of creation. There was never a time when the earth was devoid of all life. And then there is the sun, moon and stars being created on the fourth creation/restoration day which just doesn't make any sense. In light of the evidence I just couldn't hold on to a belief that didn't line up with that evidence, so I discarded the ruin-restoration view.

However, Heiser, as well as others such as Peter Enns, John N. Oswalt, John D. Currid, and John Walton, as well as reading books such as 'Myths from Mesopotamia, Creation, the Flood, Gilgamish, and Others' , translated by Stephanie Dalley, and 'Stories from Ancient Canaan' edited and translated by Michael D. Coogan and Mark S. Smith have done a lot to shape my current views concerning how the Bible should be understood.
Mark Smith was also a big influence on me particularly this work:

The Origins of Biblical Monotheism: Israel's Polytheistic Background and the Ugaritic Texts. New York/Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2000.

Almost forgot The Priestly View of Genesis I

Both Great works!

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 04-21-2018 at 06:22 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 04:33 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
This is a thread about Ken Ham vs. Bill Nye and their debate.

It is not a thread about the science of evolution, which (as you all know) is generally not an appropriate topic for the Religion and Spirituality forums. The reason it is not appropriate is that all of the misunderstandings cause the threads to veer completely away from their original topics, usually with myriads of incorrect information. The deleted posts even included a citation from the Creation Science Institute, a site full of misinformation, which leads to extensive posts unrelated to Religion or Spirituality.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:48 AM

1,183 posts, read 537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This is a thread about Ken Ham vs. Bill Nye and their debate.

It is not a thread about the science of evolution, which (as you all know) is generally not an appropriate topic for the Religion and Spirituality forums. The reason it is not appropriate is that all of the misunderstandings cause the threads to veer completely away from their original topics, usually with myriads of incorrect information. The deleted posts even included a citation from the Creation Science Institute, a site full of misinformation, which leads to extensive posts unrelated to Religion or Spirituality.

I understand your position and you do not wish chaoes to enter the board. But part of the Nye and Ham’s differences is creation versus evolution. Flat earth claims is also not part of Christianity. Tying it to some very confused people who say they are Christian is just a way to make it part of this board.

The bible strongly states that man was created as an image and did not mutate. Are you ok with the topic of Intelligent Design?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity