Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:10 PM

63,947 posts, read 40,236,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
So I wouldn't say that his return was imminent "all these centuries", but that it had a very specific time-frame, and that time-frame was missed about 2000 years ago. Sorry.
It was easy to miss with everyone looking in the physical realm. Pentecost was the culmination of Christ's coming back as the Comforter within the consciousness of humanity. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 08:43 PM

817 posts, read 741,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do you not think God could make it happen tomorrow?
\

What would make you think that?

I think God can do whatever He pleases. I'm not sure you comprehended my reason for the question.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
According to the actual text of the New Testament, Jesus' return was to occur during the lifetime of some of his Apostles. This is why many of his ethical teachings can be rightly termed "interim ethics" - ethics that are only meant to be kept between the time Jesus stated them and the imminent return. Otherwise, many of them are not workable models of behavior (quitting your job, giving all your money away, leaving your family) - they only work with the assumption that the end is nigh, and extremely nigh.

In the Gospel of Mark, after telling his followers prophecies of the end-times (the "Eschaton"), Jesus tells them exactly when this will happen:
Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place.
(Mark 13:30, NRSV)
Similar sentiments can be found in the Gospel of Matthew, at least, and the saying "there are some standing here who will not taste death until the Son of Man comes into his Kingdom", etc.

This is the apocalyptic nature of Jesus' message. Even in the later New Testament writings, when the return of Jesus did not occur, the writers had to begin apologizing and misinterpreting Jesus' very plain words into something they were never meant to mean. A generation is a generation. That is all. Jesus was not speaking in one of "God's days", unless we wish to apply that to every single time he mentions time - and that just gets silly.

So I wouldn't say that his return was imminent "all these centuries", but that it had a very specific time-frame, and that time-frame was missed about 2000 years ago. Sorry.
Wow man, this is all very interesting. I've had a tendency to think similarly about the time frame he was referring to, but didn't put it together with the "giving all your money away" philosophy being connected to that.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It was easy to miss with everyone looking in the physical realm. Pentecost was the culmination of Christ's coming back as the Comforter within the consciousness of humanity. Just saying.
Yes, but Christ said some would not taste death before seeing him "coming on the clouds"...which very much implies a physical return.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I do totally get what you're saying though. I think my question is more directed toward the idea of a Pre-Tribulation Rapture, which I do not think is correct. There could not have been an "imminent pre-trib" rapture without the remaining prophecies being fulfilled (and we also have the one about Damascus that has yet to come to pass, though I suppose it soon could).

Old 02-16-2014, 10:09 PM

63,947 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
Yes, but Christ said some would not taste death before seeing him "coming on the clouds"...which very much implies a physical return.
I disagree . . . given the primitive carnal mindset at the time. It more closely implicates the Holy Spirit descending upon Christ at the Jordan. They did NOT taste death before Pentecost.
Quote:
I do totally get what you're saying though. I think my question is more directed toward the idea of a Pre-Tribulation Rapture, which I do not think is correct. There could not have been an "imminent pre-trib" rapture without the remaining prophecies being fulfilled (and we also have the one about Damascus that has yet to come to pass, though I suppose it soon could).
I think all such divination attempts are fruitless . . . not to mention expressly discouraged.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:10 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,093,102 times
Quote:
Maybe the coming on the clouds refers to His ascension?...

Old 02-17-2014, 06:30 AM

20,100 posts, read 13,555,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Maybe the coming on the clouds refers to His ascension?...
You DO know the difference between coming and going, right?

Old 02-17-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I disagree . . . given the primitive carnal mindset at the time. It more closely implicates the Holy Spirit descending upon Christ at the Jordan. They did NOT taste death before Pentecost.

For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works. 28 Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”

But it implies (highlighted above) that some of them will taste death, since it says above that some will not. But at PENTECOST, none of them had died, correct? They were all still alive. So isn't that just a bit too soon of a return?

Also I thought that Jesus Coming in his Kingdom occurs after the Judgment.

Also I think there is actually a more carnal mindset these days than there was back then. The primitives attributed all kinds of various phenomena to non-physical beings or "gods" whereas nowadays most people are into scientific explanations.

Last edited by TwoWitnesses; 02-17-2014 at 05:15 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:

It would have been very simple for Jesus to state that this return was not to be physical. He talked about His Kingdom being "not of this world" often enough. It's only easy to miss if you aren't saying what you really mean. If you are intentionally ambiguous...then ANYTHING is easy to miss. He used the word SEE which implies physical return. If he just wanted to confuse those who already believed in him then I could say that you're right...but why would he do that? I'm not God or even close but I could make it very clear if I had to tell someone something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity