Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should we do with Paul's teachings
He is a heretic and we should reject all of his writings and only follow what Jesus said. 0 0%
Reject anything from Paul that differs from what Jesus and the 12 said. 7 31.82%
What Paul and Jesus said should be blended together to get the real picture. 4 18.18%
Paul was just expanding and better explaining what Jesus taught. 9 40.91%
Paul was given the "Mystery" by Jesus which is the Gospel for today. 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 05:42 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Dodge. Some of those passages were from Jesus Himself.
Jesus wrote nothing. In particular he did not write anything in the OT.

And I am certain those violent verses are generally not read or studied in 99% of Protestant Churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 08:31 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
That's my point. She seems to put herself on the thrown rather than Jesus Christ. I never met anyone that put a book in His place. Many make that straw-man claim to reject what He has said but that's all.
ANY time the book is presented as final authority is is being put on the throne in the place of the living Christ.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:53 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
ANY time the book is presented as final authority is is being put on the throne in the place of the living Christ.
Strange as Christ put it as a final authority. "it is written" was his word on the subject.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:56 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

And a God that is cruel and full of wrath is the barbaric view of the ancient men that wrote the OT. God is nothing like that.
Actually that is the veiw of today's man who is even more barbaric than those of the past.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:13 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Actually that is the veiw of today's man who is even more barbaric than those of the past.
Sure, there are many men that continue to be barbaric. And they view God in the same manner men did 3000 years ago. You are making my point.

Here is a 21st century barbarian justifying the murder of children:

Why would God order the destruction of men, women, and children? - YouTube

It is a pity that many are still stuck in ancient times riffled with ignorance.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:36 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Jesus wrote nothing. In particular he did not write anything in the OT.
But He did speak many things, some of which are inconvenient to you.

Quote:
And I am certain those violent verses are generally not read or studied in 99% of Protestant Churches.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:57 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Strange as Christ put it as a final authority. "it is written" was his word on the subject.
Not only that, it was repeatedly commanded by God in the OT told to do so. For example:
Exodus 17:14
Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write this on a scroll as something to be remembered and make sure that Joshua hears it, because I will completely blot out the name of Amalek from under heaven.”

Exodus 34:27
Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.”

Deuteronomy 27:2-4
When you have crossed the Jordan into the land the Lord your God is giving you, set up some large stones and coat them with plaster. Write on them all the words of this law ....

Deuteronomy 27:8
"And you shall write very clearly all the words of this law on these stones you have set up.”

Deuteronomy 31:19
“Now write down this song and teach it to the Israelites and have them sing it, so that it may be a witness for me against them."

Isaiah 30:8
Go now, write it on a tablet for them, inscribe it on a scroll, that for the days to come it may be an everlasting witness.

Jeremiah 30:2
“This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘Write in a book all the words I have spoken to you."

Jeremiah 36:2
“Take a scroll and write on it all the words I have spoken to you concerning Israel, Judah and all the other nations from the time I began speaking to you in the reign of Josiah till now.

Habakkuk 2:2
[ The Lord’s Answer ] Then the Lord replied: “Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it."

fact is that people who attempt to separate the written Word of God as not just as authoritative from the verbal (coming from the same person) are not thinking in reality or the alternative to that is being defiant \ rebellious.

Does anybody think a written order in the military doesn't carry the same authority as a verbal order ...?

Does anybody think a written sentence from a judge doesn't carry the same authority as a verbal order ...?

Does anybody think a written "last will" doesn't carry the same authority as a verbal "last will" .... ?

Does anybody think the written TOS of the forum doesn't carry the same authority of the owners as a verbal .....????

So if that is true with human terms, how much more will it be when standing before the Judge of all ?

Last edited by twin.spin; 03-13-2014 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-13-2014, 01:05 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Default Troublesome differences between Paul and Jesus

During his ministry, Jesus taught that the people who would go to heaven (be saved) must be as little children (Matt 18:4-5; 19:14; Mark 9:36-37; 10:14-15; Luke 18:15-17), while Paul wrote that maturity demands us to forsake the things of childhood (I Cor 13:11). Thus, while Jesus teaches us that the kingdom of heaven will be filled with those who lived their lives in active compassion and childlike innocence, Paul envisions a heaven of crusty, serious “mature” grouches who merely have to profess “acceptance” of Jesus without ever actually performing a single kind, compassionate, cheerful or childishly playful deed.

Other significant teaching differences:

Paul says (Rom 14:9):
For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and the living.

Jesus says (Luke 20:38):
Now he is not God of the dead, but of the living;
----------
Paul says (Rom 13:9):
The commandments, "You shall not commit adultery, You shall not kill, You shall not steal, You shall not covet," and any other commandment, are summed up in this sentence, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Jesus says (Matt 22:37-40):

And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets.
---------------
Paul says (Rom 9:15-18)
For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." So it depends not upon man's will or exertion, but upon God's mercy. So then he hs mercy upon whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills.

Jesus says (Matt 5:7):
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy
-------------
Paul says: (Eph 1:7, Rom 4:25):
In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace

--who was put to death for our trespasses and raised for our justification.

Jesus says (Matt 6:14-15)
For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you;
but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive you
r trespasses.

--------------------------

It appears to me that Paul was not very aware of Jesus teaching to the twelve, nor to the thousands that gathered on the side of a mountain to hear the Sermon on the Mount. Now Paul, may have been "inspired" and had a "vision," but unless one flat out disbelieves the gospel accounts of Jesus' words, some of Paul's teaching cannot be reconciled to the words delivered by Jesus to His followers.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-13-2014 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: red is reserved for moderation

Old 03-13-2014, 02:03 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Sorry, Warden, I don't see that conflict. As an example, there is a world of difference between being childlike in innocense and love and being childish in doing selfish things. I see no difference between the meaning of Rom 14:9 and Matt 22:37-40. The Rom 9:15 is the only clinker in the list.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,812 times
Quote:
So you are rejecting what Jesus did then because He used it as the final authority many times.

What is is about what God has said that you find so offensive anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity