Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:26 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
For the same reason you wouldn't believe me if I said my words were inspired by God.
I'm sorry, but that makes zero sense. You're suggesting that I WOULDN'T believe the words of those men that we all supposedly consider inspired.....over modern-day men for the same reason I WOULDN'T believe you?

What? Did you want to take a second and reconsider your statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 12:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm sorry, but that makes zero sense. You're suggesting that I WOULDN'T believe the words of those men that we all supposedly consider inspired.....over modern-day men for the same reason I WOULDN'T believe you?

What? Did you want to take a second and reconsider your statement?
I'll use small words:

I don't believe the anonymous men who say they wrote god's words in the bible for the same reason you wouldn't believe me if I said god spoke to me.

Got it now?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:32 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Of course he walked with the risen Jesus and talked with the risen Jesus and got revelations from the risen Jesus. It was God and Jesus who made him the apostle of the nations.

Peter was the leader of the Circumcision church, not the leader of the uncircumcision church of the nations. Paul was the apostle of the church of the nations.
You may good points, but Paul did not get the keys.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:23 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
The gift of the Holy Spirit was not to the apostles alone but to all believers same with the signs that fallow all whom believe.
Jesus said so.
And it is so.
To rely on the academic, in place of the spiritual, is an insult to Jesus/God's investment.
If a little child can find salvation and obey God , then why are men clamoring for knowledge that only divides rather than seeking the Spirit of God for their direction in life ?
If you do not need God to teach you , what's the point ?
Men taught of the Holy Spirit, do not agree because they sat down and compared the same notes a group has selected, the agree because the Holy Spirit is their teacher .
Cults rely on their books and their hierarchy to say , it is so because we said it is so, and we have this many people whom agree with us . big deal.
Men of God often stand alone ,against the face of religious teaching, and know their accountability is before Jesus "not any man ."
Matthew 7;21,22,23, Jesus will be making the determination whom He knows and whom has simply been abusing HIs name for their own purposes noble or not .
Fact is , if a man is not obeying God on a personal realtime level ,he has no relationship . Because that is what Jesus provided to His believers.
This obedience is a work, but noble self generated works do not substitute , fact of the matter often create a greater problem than answering a need from Gods perspective.
The obedient response to God's instruction is the work of obedience, not the deed it's self, as though redoing it would accomplish the same result.
Moses failed relying on just that .
Rituals create just that.
Attempting to manipulate God via some prescribed prayer or fallowing some routine outlined by the church, is kin to an incantation witches use to summon demons.
God is not operated .
One cooperates with God, and fallows His agendas on a personal and moment by moment basis unless otherwise directly instructed.
Jesus said,"the way is narrow and few there be that find it. " He wasn't kidding.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
...snip...
Jesus said,"the way is narrow and few there be that find it. " He wasn't kidding.
He was misquoted.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I'll use small words:

I don't believe the anonymous men who say they wrote god's words in the bible for the same reason you wouldn't believe me if I said god spoke to me.

Got it now?
Maybe you should have phrased it that way. Your original statement said the opposite.

The thing is, both the RCC and most Protestants agree that the words of the apostles are inspired. If that is the case, there is no reason to believe a guy living in the Vatican today over them.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should have phrased it that way. Your original statement said the opposite.

The thing is, both the RCC and most Protestants agree that the words of the apostles are inspired. If that is the case, there is no reason to believe a guy living in the Vatican today over them.
My original statement is crystal clear to me. But I'm glad you now understand my point.

The apostles may well have believed their words were inspired. But it's my understanding that they didn't write the books attributed to their names. Anonymous "others" did. It's those "others'" words that you follow, not those of the apostles or Jesus or god.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
My original statement is crystal clear to me. But I'm glad you now understand my point.

The apostles may well have believed their words were inspired. But it's my understanding that they didn't write the books attributed to their names. Anonymous "others" did. It's those "others'" words that you follow, not those of the apostles or Jesus or god.
Please don't tell me who I follow. This whole argument is about the fact that I'd rather believe the words of Jesus and the Apostles over others.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Please don't tell me who I follow. This whole argument is about the fact that I'd rather believe the words of Jesus and the Apostles over others.
I understand it's important for you to cling to your beliefs.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:19 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Get real, Vizio. We do not HAVE the words of Jesus or the Apostles first hand . . . that is why we have the New Covenant and God has "written in our hearts." We have the Comforter to guide us to the truth that is there . . . NOT to override what is there by the words "written in ink" and the "precepts and doctrines of men" created by them as dogma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity