Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:09 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I just don't know what to do.
Sorry but it's none of your business to interfere with whatever religion your brother chooses for himself.

I have had to deal with the exact same thing...my brother who married a crazed Chinese woman who some how lead him down the path of fundamental Christianity. It blew my mind and I really struggled to wake him back up to who he was before. I had to finally realize it's none of my business and if this is truly what he wants then I have to accept it. I don't like it but hey it's not my path or my life. It's his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 12:22 AM

6,797 posts, read 2,913,281 times
When it all boils down, does it REALLY matter what 'religious club' one belongs to as long as one 'walks the walk'? I was baptized a Seventh-Day Adventist back in 1988.* Did this make me any better than the Jehovah's Witness? Or the Mormon? Or the Baptist? Or the ...?

Yes, for a time I thought I'd found the one TRUE denomination and that all other Christian denominations were still lagging behind as far as their 'Bible savvy' was concerned. It took me some years before I realized that the Bible is actually a book and not God or Jesus. The same is true with the JW's Watchtower or the Church of Latter Day Saints' Book of Mormon or the myriad of other denominational publications. I get visits from young Mormon missionaries at times. I make them welcome but let them know from the outset that I'm not interested in ANY religious club. I offer them a drink and we sit and talk and I find them to be most Christian-like. They appear to be walking the walk. And, that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned.

* The evening before the day of my baptism at the local SDA Church I attended a non-denominational Christian function at a community venue (McKenna Hall) in Bowen, Queensland, Australia. One of the guest speakers that night was American astronaut, James Irwin, who served as the Lunar Module Pilot on Apollo 15 in 1971. He also rode the Lunar Roving Vehicle (LRV or Rover) during this mission. Irwin had also been recently (then) involved in the search for Noah's Ark on Mount Ararat. What a quiet and unassuming gentleman this guy was. He absolutely radiated "Christianity" and it mattered not that he was not a Seventh-Day Adventist!

Anyway, I met him and talked with him for a while and explained to him that I was to be baptized the following day and would he care to attend the service. He regretfully had to decline the invitation since he and his entourage had to fly out of Bowen for speaking engagements in Cairns early the next morning. Had this not been the case he assured me that he WOULD have been most happy to attend my baptism.

So, I'm proud to say that I almost had an Apollo 15 Lunar Module Pilot and moon buggy rider attend my baptism at the Bowen SDA Church in August 1988!

Old 01-18-2016, 04:26 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,920,725 times
Quote:
Hi! First off I should state that this is not intended as an anti-JW thread. WhileI ccertainly disagree with their beliefs, I do respect the freedom of religion, even if I do consider Jehova Witnesses to be more of a cult.

Anyway my brother has been seeing this girl for a long time, she is a Jehova Witness and he is not. Now by seeing I mean they're just friends, as JWs are not allowed to date outsiders. I do think they like each other and that is the reason why he started going to Kingdom Hall. Not becausehe llegitimately respects it, just for her. He said he was a '' Christian '' but I never really saw him as one, it's something he never thought about it seriously or understands the Gospel. He just is Christian In Name Only pretty much. He has been changing quite a bit, he dresses differently now, he has stopped listening to metal music, he doesn't play video games anymore, and he's not a sports fan either. It's like he has dropped all of his hobbies. He's a completely different person.

Now like I said, I respect people's religious freedoms and he' s an adult. He can do what he wants to. However I'm starting to have problems with him because he tried to convert me! I'm a Christian, I'm a former Jew who converted. I am well versed on the Bible and study it daily, andI kknow that the JWs are not reading the correct texts, they are reading a perversion of Scriptures. I got into an argument about him and I showed him the KJV and the NIV and compared it with the JW bible and showed him the inaccuracies of his book (which is the whole thing) and how it denies the holiness of Jesus. But he denied it and said that only his book is true because the Elder told him it was.

I tried inviting him to my church but he says mine is false and only his is true and that his is the only way to Heaven. He also says that the only right way to pray is to use God's name '' Jehova'' and as a Christian and a former Jew I certainly know this is wrong. There is no '' J'' sound in Hebrew for God, the Jews did not useit or pray to God with that sound. I try to keep things civil but he isn't respecting my belief and he keeps sending JWs to my house. His JW friends also lied and said that I'm a freemason and he should avoid me, I'm not a freemason, I just have some freemason friends. I have nothing against freemasonry BTW.

I feel like I'm losing my own brother to this. I feel partly responsible because he has always been easily influenced by his environment and I never invited him to Church or tried to teach him the Gospel because I just assumed he was never interested in it. I just don't know what to do.

Learn the true teachings of Jesus and your eyes will be opened-- I know 100% for sure--his real teachings are not taught in churches--his teachings prove-100% the JW,s are correct. Like this ultra important one

Matt 6:33-- Therefore, keep on seeking-FIRST- the kingdom and his( Jehovah) righteousness and all these other things will be added to you.( sustenance, covering, spirituality)---- then one can accomplish this important teaching--John 4:22-24=Jehovah.

The only perversion--is not teaching these important truths. I attended different trinity religions--I never learned what Jesus taught until I studied with the JW,s--Why do think that is?

Old 01-18-2016, 04:48 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
When it all boils down, does it REALLY matter what 'religious club' one belongs to as long as one 'walks the walk'? I was baptized a Seventh-Day Adventist back in 1988.* Did this make me any better than the Jehovah's Witness? Or the Mormon? Or the Baptist? Or the ...?

Yes, for a time I thought I'd found the one TRUE denomination and that all other Christian denominations were still lagging behind as far as their 'Bible savvy' was concerned. It took me some years before I realized that the Bible is actually a book and not God or Jesus. The same is true with the JW's Watchtower or the Church of Latter Day Saints' Book of Mormon or the myriad of other denominational publications. I get visits from young Mormon missionaries at times. I make them welcome but let them know from the outset that I'm not interested in ANY religious club. I offer them a drink and we sit and talk and I find them to be most Christian-like. They appear to be walking the walk. And, that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned.

* The evening before the day of my baptism at the local SDA Church I attended a non-denominational Christian function at a community venue (McKenna Hall) in Bowen, Queensland, Australia. One of the guest speakers that night was American astronaut, James Irwin, who served as the Lunar Module Pilot on Apollo 15 in 1971. He also rode the Lunar Roving Vehicle (LRV or Rover) during this mission. Irwin had also been recently (then) involved in the search for Noah's Ark on Mount Ararat. What a quiet and unassuming gentleman this guy was. He absolutely radiated "Christianity" and it mattered not that he was not a Seventh-Day Adventist!

Anyway, I met him and talked with him for a while and explained to him that I was to be baptized the following day and would he care to attend the service. He regretfully had to decline the invitation since he and his entourage had to fly out of Bowen for speaking engagements in Cairns early the next morning. Had this not been the case he assured me that he WOULD have been most happy to attend my baptism.

So, I'm proud to say that I almost had an Apollo 15 Lunar Module Pilot and moon buggy rider attend my baptism at the Bowen SDA Church in August 1988!
Haha, good story

Old 01-18-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, good story
Thanks. It's absolutely true.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Thanks. It's absolutely true.
Thanks for sharing it.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Learn the true teachings of Jesus and your eyes will be opened-- I know 100% for sure--his real teachings are not taught in churches--his teachings prove-100% the JW,s are correct. Like this ultra important one

Matt 6:33-- Therefore, keep on seeking-FIRST- the kingdom and his( Jehovah) righteousness and all these other things will be added to you.( sustenance, covering, spirituality)---- then one can accomplish this important teaching--John 4:22-24=Jehovah.

The only perversion--is not teaching these important truths. I attended different trinity religions--I never learned what Jesus taught until I studied with the JW,s--Why do think that is?
Hmmm . . . so are you saying that 'head knowledge' that is dependent on the teaching of the 'religious club' that one might belong to is the deciding factor as to who is and who is not 'a true Christian'? As I mentioned above, I probably would have thought that at one time myself (as per the SDA denomination I was baptized into) but I later matured. I no longer hold to that belief. Moreover, it's this kind of thinking that leads to so much division between and, yes, at times, hostility toward, other Christian groups. We probably need to drop the labels since 'being a Christian' is an individual 'personal' thing and not a denominational thing. I have attended the local Mormon Church a couple of times as well as some of their social events simply because I like the people. Indeed, a mother and son of the Church of Latter Day Saints is a part of my Christmas music group and she (from the Cook Islands) certainly knows how to spice up a song! She sounds like Liz Mitchell of Bony M. The son, who just turned 18, is soon to become a missionary. I've told him not to come pestering me and to heed the sign "No Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses allowed on the property!" Just kidding, of course . . .

I don't really care if Joseph Smith was a charlatan as some of those from other denominations refer to him. I don't care if Ellen White (SDA prophet) was a crazy woman as she's been referred to by those of other denominations. It's the people associated with those denominations more so than the subjective belief they may hold to that I'm more interested in. As per the term I used previously, do they walk the walk? If so then I personally don't much care which religious club they belong to.

Incidentally, Katzpur ...thanks for the rep. I don't know how to respond to those reps other than what I'm doing now. What's the secret ...?

Last edited by RomulusXXV; 01-18-2016 at 06:45 PM..

Old 01-18-2016, 06:50 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:

Incidentally, Katzpur ...thanks for the rep. I don't know how to respond to those reps other than what I'm doing now. What's the secret ...?
Two ways, a quick addition to reputation by clicking on the little green + at the bottom of each post and a more full response by clicking on the scale at the top right of the post.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Two ways, a quick addition to reputation by clicking on the little green + at the bottom of each post and a more full response by clicking on the scale at the top right of the post.
Many thanks. I'll give that a try. I've wanted to respond to posters a number of times but haven't known how.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:06 AM

589 posts, read 331,738 times
Quote:
Hi! First off I should state that this is not intended as an anti-JW thread. WhileI ccertainly disagree with their beliefs, I do respect the freedom of religion, even if I do consider Jehova Witnesses to be more of a cult.

Anyway my brother has been seeing this girl for a long time, she is a Jehova Witness and he is not. Now by seeing I mean they're just friends, as JWs are not allowed to date outsiders. I do think they like each other and that is the reason why he started going to Kingdom Hall. Not becausehe llegitimately respects it, just for her. He said he was a '' Christian '' but I never really saw him as one, it's something he never thought about it seriously or understands the Gospel. He just is Christian In Name Only pretty much. He has been changing quite a bit, he dresses differently now, he has stopped listening to metal music, he doesn't play video games anymore, and he's not a sports fan either. It's like he has dropped all of his hobbies. He's a completely different person.

Now like I said, I respect people's religious freedoms and he' s an adult. He can do what he wants to. However I'm starting to have problems with him because he tried to convert me! I'm a Christian, I'm a former Jew who converted. I am well versed on the Bible and study it daily, andI kknow that the JWs are not reading the correct texts, they are reading a perversion of Scriptures. I got into an argument about him and I showed him the KJV and the NIV and compared it with the JW bible and showed him the inaccuracies of his book (which is the whole thing) and how it denies the holiness of Jesus. But he denied it and said that only his book is true because the Elder told him it was.

I tried inviting him to my church but he says mine is false and only his is true and that his is the only way to Heaven. He also says that the only right way to pray is to use God's name '' Jehova'' and as a Christian and a former Jew I certainly know this is wrong. There is no '' J'' sound in Hebrew for God, the Jews did not useit or pray to God with that sound. I try to keep things civil but he isn't respecting my belief and he keeps sending JWs to my house. His JW friends also lied and said that I'm a freemason and he should avoid me, I'm not a freemason, I just have some freemason friends. I have nothing against freemasonry BTW.

I feel like I'm losing my own brother to this. I feel partly responsible because he has always been easily influenced by his environment and I never invited him to Church or tried to teach him the Gospel because I just assumed he was never interested in it. I just don't know what to do.
God IS Jehova!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity