Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 12:51 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Or if others question their statements you would review them so as to confirm they are true and the view held by the ones questioning them are misunderstood.

No problem questioning the Bible as we have it, due to the various differences. However those variations with reasonable study are not major issues except to those who want them to be.

We should also question ourselves and our teachers as Paul commended the Boreans for doing with his statements. Oh, the Bible was the test of his statements, not some personal revelation by God's spirit.

If you don't believe that God can guide you to truth apart from a book, then you have faith in the book, not God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 01:02 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If you don't believe that God can guide you to truth apart from a book, then you have faith in the book, not God.
Nope, I have faith in God that He can and did direct the writing of the Bible. Claims of Faith in God aside from the Bible, are really self centered claims of direct inspiration by God so as to not need the Bible. The focus is then on self not God.

That is far more questionable, such claims of direct inspiration is at odds with scripture, as how can anyone know you or any such claimant is really aided by God at all? They can't.

Jesus set the example by relying on the written word not just his own relationship with God. Any belief or practice differing, is to reject Jesus as well.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:06 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Nope, I have faith in God that He can and did direct the writing of the Bible.
You have faith that God could and did direct other people apart from the bible, but you have no faith that God can and will direct YOU apart from the bible.

Quote:
Claims of Faith in God aside from the Bible, are really self centered claims of direct inspiration by God so as to not need the Bible. The focus is then on self not God.
No, it's faith in God, not a book.

We can keep going around in circles about this all day.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:10 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Nope, I have faith in God that He can and did direct the writing of the Bible. Claims of Faith in God aside from the Bible, are really self centered claims of direct inspiration by God so as to not need the Bible. The focus is then on self not God.

That is far more questionable, such claims of direct inspiration is at odds with scripture, as how can anyone know you or any such claimant is really aided by God at all? They can't.

Jesus set the example by relying on the written word not just his own relationship with God. Any belief or practice differing, is to reject Jesus as well.
So you believe the purpose of Christ within, is to teach us and lead us by the bible?.

Jesus actually relied on the Father period, and said he did numerous times( read the godpel of John), and never once said he relied upon or sought the scriptures for guidance, his father and ours too took care of that. .

Old 04-01-2014, 01:35 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You have faith that God could and did direct other people apart from the bible, but you have no faith that God can and will direct YOU apart from the bible.

No, it's faith in God, not a book.

We can keep going around in circles about this all day.
The bible is the way for all fundamentalists. The fact they still look upon Jesus Christ in their imagination as the man that walked this earth 2000 years ago, is the reason they cannot comprehend and understand and give no real thought and attention to the reality of Jesus Christ within, it makes no sense to them, just how it was for nicodemus. When he was told you must be born again, they think carnally about what is spiritual . It is also the reason why they look for a second coming, not realizing he is already here.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:45 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You refuse to TRULY answer the question. I didn't ask about the crucifixion.

You don't do creeds?? I'm just asking you what you believe. If you don't believe in the resurrection - just say so. I think you understand the weight of the question I am asking - which is why you won't answer it squarely.
I know ALL about your means of excluding others from your little circle and I will NOT participate thank you. You are welcome to join mine, which is interested in how we live the love of God in our lives.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:51 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:

Here we go again with the either/or false dichotomy. The Bible is a TOOL for the Spirit to use just as reason and the testimony of saints are. By limiting the Spirit to that book (which Jesus NEVER promised) you are attempting to bind the Spirit. Not my game.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Bible idolators can't be helped. Their insecurities and fears are too deeply entrenched.

Asking them to question it is like asking a drowning person to release their grip on a piece of flotsam.

Just. Too. Scary.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I know ALL about your means of excluding others from your little circle and I will NOT participate thank you. You are welcome to join mine, which is interested in how we live the love of God in our lives.
I tried to quietly give you a rep. The system wouldn't let me. The good news is now people can read this twice!

Old 04-01-2014, 02:09 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Jesus didn't sin.

Read Philemon. It's a book about a runaway slave who is returning to his master. Paul encourages Philemon to treat the slave in a loving manner.
In other words, endorsing slavery. Endorsing the owning of one human being by another.

The correct thing would have been to teach to set the slave free.

Somehow that doesn't happen in bible teachings. The good book? Only if your the slave owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity