Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 03:27 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If you don't believe that God can guide you to truth apart from a book, then you have faith in the book, not God.
God guides directly ... the book supports the guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I know ALL about your means of excluding others from your little circle and I will NOT participate thank you. You are welcome to join mine, which is interested in how we live the love of God in our lives.
...not about little groups and cliques. I just asked what you believed about those events. You just know you can't have it both ways. Ultimately God knows.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:41 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
God guides directly ... the book supports the guidance.
Is that an opinion supported by the scripture ?.

Here is a bible verse that kind of contradicts that opinion. The sons( and the lovely daughters) of God are led by the Spirit of God.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
In other words, endorsing slavery. Endorsing the owning of one human being by another.

The correct thing would have been to teach to set the slave free.

Somehow that doesn't happen in bible teachings. The good book? Only if your the slave owner.
The Bible does not say that - however you try and force it. You could say the Bible endorsed smoking crack cocaine or doing crystal meth because there is no direct prohibition.

Certain cultures had/have slaves. That's a fact. Christ focused on how people were treated rather than how the working relationship was structured.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Is that an opinion supported by the scripture ?.

Here is a bible verse that kind of contradicts that opinion. The sons( and the lovely daughters) of God are led by the Spirit of God.
Well think it through - at some point in history a Bible didn't exist. God still existed, and guided people as He saw fit. He led Abraham, Joseph, Moses, etc. - no Bible was necessary.

Now we have a written record we can use along with direct intervention.

Romans 15:4 - For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Well think it through - at some point in history a Bible didn't exist. God still existed, and guided people as He saw fit. He led Abraham, Joseph, Moses, etc. - no Bible was necessary.

Now we have a written record we can use along with direct intervention.

Romans 15:4 - For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
So it was all about getting the bible to us ?.

Did you know that the scriptures actually tells us that mystery through the ages and generations that we were all unaware of,but is know being made known to us, is the knowledge of Christ within us. Read it for yourself in Col 1. Let me tell you this too, it was not God hiding this knowledge from us, it was our concept of God and ourselves that could not conceive God within us.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:34 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And when someone say God through His spirit tells me something the Bible says is false, is it God's spirit?

I don't limit it to the Bible, it simply will never be in disagreement with it, rather it will reveal what God has/is teaching us through the Bible.
And what do you do when the Bible gives conflicting perceptions as noted in the "slave" question above, where one set of verses (Philemon) gives one way of treating slaves, the OT example gives entirely a different one and the "golden rule" applied to the question indicates that one should not own a slave at all?

Old 04-01-2014, 04:36 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Personal? Just through the daily trails of life as I relate to God, exercise faith when necessary... sometimes I really have to depend on God through certain situations. I can say He has kept me from faring worse in many cases. As far as what you mentioned - it's on the testimony on what's in the Bible, Israel is not an imaginary place - it exists,... there is hard evidence that places in the Bible exists - so it's not a total fairy tale just on the surface,... it's the communication with my inner spirit that these events took place,... it's the character of God that says He does not lie and spoke through the spirit of the authors to record the events that occurred,... in summary - it's through the relationship that begins when one believes in the gospel of Jesus Christ - His death, burial, and resurrection for our sins and eternal life with Him.
It's a spiritual thing. I will leave it at that.

The point is, DRob, that you have no basis for saying that other people must believe the things in the bible literally happened or else they do not have faith in God.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:55 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If you don't believe that God can guide you to truth apart from a book, then you have faith in the book, not God.
No one has said God could not guide them to truth apart from His book. We just accept that God choose to give us the book.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:57 PM

He(The Word)was in the world, and the world was made by him(The Word)and the world knew him(The Word) not. John 1:10

He sent His Word and it was not a book, it was the one the book testified of, and to those who received The Word(not the book), they were enlightened in the knowledge that they were the sons and daughters of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity