Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 02:12 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Let me put forth a likely scenario.

I have three kids. They are looking through an old picture book and they start asking questions about the circumstances surrounding some of the pictures. I tell them what happened. Do they go and start interviewing my siblings to see if I am telling the truth? Or my parents? 99% of the time - no. They don't go on a fact finding mission. Why? Because we feed them, take care of them, give them shelter - in other words - the relationship that has been built between me and my kids is such that they trust me when I tell them something.

Same thing with God. I have been in a personal relationship with Him for over 20 years. I trust Him. I trust what is presented in the Bible. If you want to view that as brain-washing - be my guest. But it also tells me what kind of relationship with God that you have... which seems to be lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 02:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So you believe the purpose of Christ within, is to teach us and lead us by the bible?.

Jesus actually relied on the Father period, and said he did numerous times( read the godpel of John), and never once said he relied upon or sought the scriptures for guidance, his father and ours too took care of that. .
I believe that just as he taught his followers then, he teaces us today. By God's written word AND spirit. Not one without the other.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Here we go again with the either/or false dichotomy. The Bible is a TOOL for the Spirit to use just as reason and the testimony of saints are. By limiting the Spirit to that book (which Jesus NEVER promised) you are attempting to bind the Spirit. Not my game.
And when someone say God through His spirit tells me something the Bible says is false, is it God's spirit?

I don't limit it to the Bible, it simply will never be in disagreement with it, rather it will reveal what God has/is teaching us through the Bible.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
The bible is the way for all fundamentalists. The fact they still look upon Jesus Christ in their imagination as the man that walked this earth 2000 years ago, is the reason they cannot comprehend and understand and give no real thought and attention to the reality of Jesus Christ within, it makes no sense to them, just how it was for nicodemus. When he was told you must be born again, they think carnally about what is spiritual . It is also the reason why they look for a second coming, not realizing he is already here.
You do not undertsand so you come up with a false explanation of what is believed and use it as an attack/rejection point. Christ sent God's spirit, the comforter to all his followers. That is not an issue at all. It is really, if we can claim God's spirit and reject the Bible at the same time. Nope.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:21 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I believe that just as he taught his followers then, he teaces us today. By God's written word AND spirit. Not one without the other.
Like the good fundamentalist i am, do you have a scripture for that ?. By the way he taught his followers to follow him.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Like the good fundamentalist i am, do you have a scripture for that ?. By the way he taught his followers to follow him.
Read the gospels. He explained and used the Scriptures. When he was to leave he promised God's spirit to keep doing the same; help them understand and follow scripture, not reject it.

Yes follow him in sooo many ways, including respect and belief in scripture.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
You do not undertsand so you come up with a false explanation of what is believed and use it as an attack/rejection point. Christ sent God's spirit, the comforter to all his followers. That is not an issue at all. It is really, if we can claim God's spirit and reject the Bible at the same time. Nope.
No one said anything about rejecting scripture( what you consider them to be and your understanding of them is what i dispute).

Can you explain by the scripture the purpose of Christ within. I do not want to hear anything about it being some sort of bible teacher or your free ticket to heaven , because neither of them are scriptural.

Again i will say fundamentalists follow the bible and believe it is the way, because they do not have the knowledge and understanding of Christ within, and because they are so sold out to what they think and believe the bible is,knowledge of Christ within is not something important enough for them to seek and know.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Read the gospels. He explained and sued the Scriptures. When he was to leave he promised God's spirit to keep doing the same; help them understand and follow scripture, not reject it.

Yes follow him in sooo many ways, including respect and belief in scripture.
I have read the gospels and know for certain he said listen to, call upon , learn of and follow him. There is no instruction from Jesus to do the same in respect to the bible. The risen Christ within is as real as the one who was here 2000 years ago. Wake o sleeper and rise from the dead rise and christ will shine IN you. . Not shining within to show the world what a lovely christian you are, but for the purpose that we may understand what God has freely given us.

Last edited by pcamps; 04-01-2014 at 02:50 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 02:49 PM

The mystery that has been hid through the ages but now being made known, is not the bible is the word of God but Christ within us.

Col 1:26-27

Old 04-01-2014, 03:21 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What, in your personal experience, has confirmed to you that God would (not could) part a sea, or impregnate a virgin, or physically raise someone from the dead after 3 days? Have you seen God do such a thing? I haven't. And my faith in God is not based on him intervening in our physical world in that way.
Personal? Just through the daily trails of life as I relate to God, exercise faith when necessary... sometimes I really have to depend on God through certain situations. I can say He has kept me from faring worse in many cases. As far as what you mentioned - it's on the testimony on what's in the Bible, Israel is not an imaginary place - it exists,... there is hard evidence that places in the Bible exists - so it's not a total fairy tale just on the surface,... it's the communication with my inner spirit that these events took place,... it's the character of God that says He does not lie and spoke through the spirit of the authors to record the events that occurred,... in summary - it's through the relationship that begins when one believes in the gospel of Jesus Christ - His death, burial, and resurrection for our sins and eternal life with Him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Yes, I believe men wrote independently of God. God was not possessing their body, and controlling their muscle movements. Is it possible that some of the people who wrote some of the bible, actually were inspired by God? Sure. And then they wrote about that inspiration through their own experiences and perceptions of God. Nothing touched by men is perfect, and that includes the bible and any other book that attempts to convey people's understandings of God.
It's a spiritual thing. I will leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity