Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
One more time... when I said "lots more", I was referring to the relationship to God that you could have - with the benefits He brings to you spiritually. The relationship comes by faith in His Son whom He sent... which I believe is an upgrade from the faith you say you have now.
Meaningless platitudes and dogma.
Quote:
Question...
If you don't believe in God as He is presented in the Bible... who is the God you say you have faith in? Is He a figment of your own mind - or is He actually defined somewhere?
She believes in God as presented and revealed by Jesus the Christ. God IS agape love . . . and Christ manifested that love perfectly . . . "No greater love hath a man . . ." You should try it on. Love begets love and never diminishes when shared. Follow Christ's instructions to His disciples if you really want to BE a Christian . . . "love God and each other" daily and repent when you don't. Bibleanity will not get it done.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 04-08-2014 at 12:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 12:19 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Meaningless platitudes and dogma.

She believes in God as presented and revealed by Jesus the Christ. God IS agape love . . . and Christ manifested that love perfectly . . . "No greater love hath a man . . ." You should try it on. Love begets love and never diminishes when shared. Follow Christ's instructions to His disciples if you really want to BE a Christian . . . "love God and each other" daily and repent when you don't. Bibleanity will not get it done.
I am asking you. She can answer me on her own. Who or what defines who God is if the Bible is inaccurate?

Old 04-08-2014, 12:32 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Mystic, Nateswift

Here it is in a nutshell - if you love God, if you know God - you would believe that Jesus was born of a virgin... you would believe that Jesus visibly ascended to the Father... you would believe Jesus was physically resurrected from the dead... you would believe that God has the power to part the Red Sea... you would believe God worked through the authors and the Holy Spirit to provide the content in the Bible.

Otherwise you are fooling yourselves, and whatever spirit is telling you to lean on rational thinking ain't from God.

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.
Lol this is at the same time hilarious and saddening, you are relying on your own understanding anyway. You believe (through your human understanding) that it is fine to ignore your doubts, that you must believe yourselfs about what you believe about your version of the Christian Bible and the characters described within it. It is a lie that you tell yourself, that you are not leaning on your own understanding. Why would the Satans not say the same thing as in Proverbs 3:5? You have to develop your own human understanding and do mental gymnastics to figure out what exactly "Lord" and "trust" and "understanding" could mean for you to biasedly keep your preferred cultural believes. You would also have to trust in the Bible before God.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-08-2014 at 12:48 AM..

Old 04-08-2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Colossians 4 describes how masters should treat slaves.

Colossians 4:1 - Masters, grant to your slaves justice and fairness, knowing that you too have a Master in heaven.

So obviously treating a person inhumanely is not approved by Christ.

Comforter lead believers to the truth? Yes - and that includes reading the Bible as it is written in the proper context... and it includes knowing the character and abilities of God that is presented in the Bible.

Are you going to answer my question about believing the resurrection, ascension, and virgin birth? Do you believe those events really happened? This is not a hard question. I have no problem answering your questions - could you return the courtesy?
Lol, slavery is fair and just to you? That Paul was not too bright about the situation, was he? Except he was bright at converting the vulnerable pagans and collecting their tithes and offerings.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:38 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Lol this is at the same time hilarious and saddening, you are relying on your own understanding anyway. You believe (through your human understanding) that it is fine to ignore your doubts, that you must believe yourselfs about what you believe about your version of the Christian Bible and the characters described within it. It is a lie that you tell yourself, that you ate not leaning on your own understanding. Why would the Satans not say the same thing as in Proverbs 3:5? You have to develop your own human understanding and do mental gymnastics to figure out what exactly "Lord" and "trust" and "understanding" could mean for you to biasedly keep your preferred cultural believes. You would also have to trust in the Bible before God.
You are basically saying that I am leaning on my own understanding to NOT lean on my understanding? Nice.

You don't know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Lol, slavery is fair and just to you? That Paul was not too bright about the situation, was he? Except he was bright at converting the vulnerable pagans and collecting their tithes and offerings.
Again - you don't know me. You don't know Paul either.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
I am asking you. She can answer me on her own. Who or what defines who God is if the Bible is inaccurate?
We keep saying it but you refuse to hear . . . JESUS THE CHRIST defines who God IS . . . no one and NOTHING ELSE. The OT savagery and barbarity is wrong about God, period. Merging the two descriptions is impossible and blasphemous. God IS agape love. Anything NOT consistent with agape love is NOT of God.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
You refuse to TRULY answer the question. I didn't ask about the crucifixion.

You don't do creeds?? I'm just asking you what you believe. If you don't believe in the resurrection - just say so. I think you understand the weight of the question I am asking - which is why you won't answer it squarely.

I believe in the resurrection, ascension, and virgin birth. Is it rational? No. Is it mandatory for eternal life? Yes. Does God have the power to make those events happen? Yes. That's what I believe. There's no creed. This is NOT a religion. It's is my relationship to God.

Your relationship to God is obviously different. It sounds like you doubt God's power to resurrect Jesus Christ from the dead. And if He can't resurrect Him, He can't resurrect you either after your time on earth. But it also effects how you view the Bible, and how you view God's character and abilities.
You don't believe in rationality, the implications of that are quite obvious:

We are speaking with the Madhater as he goes about his business!

What is the context of Proverbs? It surely isn't about trusting in the Later canonized New Testament.

It seems to be arguing against a man who wishes to lean upon his wrong understanding of the betterment of hedonism and ethical egoism. Not about how Jews should throw rationality out the window for trusting instead in whatever they humanly "understand" to be Divine wisdom.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-08-2014 at 12:55 AM..

Old 04-08-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
My belief is complete. I have absolute certainty that God exists and what His true nature is. I have encountered it unequivocally in deep meditation. Jesus Christ as described in the NT epitomizes that consciousness. You can believe whatever nonsense you want to ABOUT Jesus Christ and God . . . but I KNOW what God and Jesus are like, period. Agape love is the key to everything. Anything that violates agape love is NOT of God. I follow Christ's instructions to His disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when I don't. What is YOUR assurance based on???
Quote:
I will ask you the same question... if the Bible is inaccurate, who defines who God is? Is He a made up being in your mind where you say "yes He did this" and "no He didn't do that"?
You ignored my question yet you ask me one. Jesus defines who God is. And he has said (and shown) that God IS agape love, period. Anything that is not consistent with agape love can NOT be of God. Now answer the question in bold.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Mystic, Nateswift

Here it is in a nutshell - if you love God, if you know God - you would believe that Jesus was born of a virgin... you would believe that Jesus visibly ascended to the Father... you would believe Jesus was physically resurrected from the dead... you would believe that God has the power to part the Red Sea... you would believe God worked through the authors and the Holy Spirit to provide the content in the Bible.

Otherwise you are fooling yourselves, and whatever spirit is telling you to lean on rational thinking ain't from God.

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.
Why on earth do you think that loving God means believing implausible and improbable things??? Loving God means doing what Jesus told His disciples to do to know God . . . Love God and each other" daily and repent when you don't.

1 John 3:11 (King James Version)

11For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

1 John 4:7 (King James Version)

7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

John 17:3 (King James Version)

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

1 John 4:11-12 (King James Version)

11Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

12No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

1 John 4:21 (King James Version)

21And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

John 13:34 (King James Version)

34A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 15:9-10 (King James Version)

9As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 15:12 (King James Version)

12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

John 15:17 (King James Version)

17These things I command you, that ye love one another.

1 John 3:23 (King James Version)

23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:59 AM

In fact INDEED Madhater!

It is about Seeking understanding and good standing among God and men!

Proverbs Ch.3
Quote:
3*My son, do not forget my teaching,
****but keep my commands in your heart,
2*for they will prolong your life many years
****and bring you peace and prosperity.
3*Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
****bind them around your neck,
****write them on the tablet of your heart.
4*Then you will win favor and a good name
****in the sight of God and man.

5*Trust in the Lord with all your heart
****and lean not on your own understanding
;
6*in all your ways submit to him,
****and he will make your paths straight.[a]
7*Do not be wise in your own eyes;
****fear the Lord and shun evil.
8*This will bring health to your body
****and nourishment to your bones.
9*Honor the Lord with your wealth,
****with the firstfruits of all your crops;
10*then your barns will be filled to overflowing,
****and your vats will brim over with new wine.
11*My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline,
****and do not resent his rebuke,
12*because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
****as a father the son he delights in.[b]
13*Blessed are those who find wisdom,
****those who gain understanding,
14*for she is more profitable than silver
****and yields better returns than gold.
15*She is more precious than rubies;
****nothing you desire can compare with her.
16*Long life is in her right hand;
****in her left hand are riches and honor.
17*Her ways are pleasant ways,
****and all her paths are peace.
18*She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her;
****those who hold her fast will be blessed.
19*By wisdom the Lord laid the earth’s foundations,
****by understanding he set the heavens in place;
20*by his knowledge the watery depths were divided,
****and the clouds let drop the dew.
21*My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight,
****preserve sound judgment and discretion;
22*they will be life for you,
****an ornament to grace your neck.
23*Then you will go on your way in safety,
****and your foot will not stumble.

Nothing in there about "irrational" faith in maddening mysteries. The fruits of seeking Pallas Athena are laid out quite well, they are testable, and both the ancient Chinese and ancient Egyptions obtained the rewards of denying the Madhaters for the times that they did.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-08-2014 at 01:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity