Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:00 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,232,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Fundamentalists will always settle an argument by appealing to the Scriptures. But what do they believe about the Bible.? We can't understand them unless we first understand their deep devotion to Scripture as their absolute.

Seven things fundamentalists believe about the Bible are that it is (1) supernatural, (2) inspired, (3) infallible, (4) sufficient, (5) authoritative, (6) literal, and (7) practical.

How about literal interpretation of the bible?

One passage no fundamentalist ever interprets literally, however, is "This is my Body." The fundamentalist suddenly turns as symbolic as a Modernist when it comes to the Eucharist.

Fundamentalist biblical principles are weak, but fundamentalist practice of Bible reading, studying, believing and devotion is very strong.

Not all fundamentalists are anti-Catholic.
Yet....you seem to rely on interpretation of the Bible...insofar as it tells us your church is to be a higher authority than it.....

Strange, huh? You rely on the very thing you chastise us for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 08:03 AM

45,721 posts, read 27,340,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Back to the reading comprehension in the prior post, please? Seriously, the body and blood were physically present, what was the point of using bread and wine instead?
Yes - reading comprehension... Jesus tells you if you just pay attention as stop looking to make your own viewpoints.... years later, Paul has the same message...

Luke 22:17-20 - And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He said, "Take this and share it among yourselves; 18 for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine from now on until the kingdom of God comes." 19 And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 20 And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.

1 Corinthians 11:23-26
- For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 25 In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:06 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,368,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
... maybe it's about Satan using people to spread unbelief in God's written word.
I made it clear from day one, that I am Satan!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:10 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,994,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658
Quote:

One passage no fundamentalist ever interprets literally, however, is "This is my Body." The fundamentalist suddenly turns as symbolic as a Modernist when it comes to the Eucharist.
How about metaphors, Julian. Ever hear of them? Christ also used many other 'figures of speech' over and over to teach, and a child would know they cannot be taken literally.

Example: a couple from the NT: I am the bread of Life, if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out....

OT: the hills shall break forth before you into singing,
And all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

Here's a couple from the English:

Let's paint the town red; she's as big as a house. Should we go get a can of red paint and a brush, and is 'she' quite large or really the same size as a house? Common sense goes a LONG way when reading/ studying the Scriptures.

ETA: have you ever read the 'story' about the "trees" in Judges 9 wanting a king? Try it some time...reading the Scriptures I mean.

Oh and BTW, I don't consider myself a fundamentalist

Last edited by mshipmate; 04-01-2014 at 08:24 AM..

Old 04-01-2014, 11:54 AM

18,256 posts, read 16,973,419 times
Quote:
Fundamentalists will always settle an argument by appealing to the Scriptures. But what do they believe about the Bible.? We can't understand them unless we first understand their deep devotion to Scripture as their absolute.

Seven things fundamentalists believe about the Bible are that it is (1) supernatural, (2) inspired, (3) infallible, (4) sufficient, (5) authoritative, (6) literal, and (7) practical.

Fundamentalist biblical principles are weak, but fundamentalist practice of Bible reading, studying, believing and devotion is very strong.

Not all fundamentalists are anti-Catholic.
This is part if the reason why there are roughly 35,000-40,000 different Christian sects--because each has their own formula for which scriptures should be interpreted literally and which should be interpreted symbolically. Believe me with about 31,000 verses the possibilities are endless--figure one sect for each verse.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:40 PM

1,030 posts, read 842,837 times
Quote:
I made it clear from day one, that I am Satan!
So do you mind if I call you by the name you claim is your's? Satan!

Old 04-01-2014, 05:42 PM

296 posts, read 238,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This is part if the reason why there are roughly 35,000-40,000 different Christian sects--because each has their own formula for which scriptures should be interpreted literally and which should be interpreted symbolically. Believe me with about 31,000 verses the possibilities are endless--figure one sect for each verse.
Yet, the Jesus says himself that his Church will be led to ALL truth. That is why, we are not to attempt to interpret the Bible. In fact, the Bible was intended to lead the Church during the Liturgy of the Mass.

As a Catholic, we are called to read the Bible and use it for inspiration, in leading a good life, but not to create a separate belief from the that true teachings of the Catholic Church.

As far as the Eucharist is concerned:

John 6:35,41,48,51 - Jesus says four times "I AM the bread from heaven." It is He, Himself, the eternal bread from heaven.
John 6:27,31,49 - there is a parallel between the manna in the desert which was physically consumed, and this "new" bread which must be consumed.
John 6:51-52- then Jesus says that the bread He is referring to is His flesh. The Jews take Him literally and immediately question such a teaching. How can this man give us His flesh to eat?
John 6:53 - 58 - Jesus does not correct their literal interpretation. Instead, Jesus eliminates any metaphorical interpretations by swearing an oath and being even more literal about eating His flesh. In fact, Jesus says four times we must eat His flesh and drink His blood. Catholics thus believe that Jesus makes present His body and blood in the sacrifice of the Mass. Protestants, if they are not going to become Catholic, can only argue that Jesus was somehow speaking symbolically.
John 6:23-53 - however, a symbolic interpretation is not plausible. Throughout these verses, the Greek text uses the word "phago" nine times. "Phago" literally means "to eat" or "physically consume." Like the Protestants of our day, the disciples take issue with Jesus' literal usage of "eat." So Jesus does what?
John 6:54, 56, 57, 58 - He uses an even more literal verb, translated as "trogo," which means to gnaw or chew or crunch. He increases the literalness and drives his message home. Jesus will literally give us His flesh and blood to eat. The word “trogo” is only used two other times in the New Testament (in Matt. 24:38 and John 13:18) and it always means to literally gnaw or chew meat. While “phago” might also have a spiritual application, "trogo" is never used metaphorically in Greek. So Protestants cannot find one verse in Scripture where "trogo" is used symbolically, and yet this must be their argument if they are going to deny the Catholic understanding of Jesus' words. Moreover, the Jews already knew Jesus was speaking literally even before Jesus used the word “trogo” when they said “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?” (John 6:52).
John 6:55 - to clarify further, Jesus says: My Flesh is food indeed, and My Blood is drink indeed." This phrase can only be understood as being responsive to those who do not believe that Jesus' flesh is food indeed, and His blood is drink indeed. Further, Jesus uses the word which is translated as "sarx." "Sarx" means flesh (not "soma" which means body). See, for example, John 1:13,14; 3:6; 8:15; 17:2; Matt. 16:17; 19:5; 24:22; 26:41; Mark 10:8; 13:20; 14:38; and Luke 3:6; 24:39 which provides other examples in Scripture where "sarx" means flesh. It is always literal.
John 6:55 - further, the phrases "real" food and "real" drink use the word "alethes." "Alethes" means "really" or "truly," and would only be used if there were doubts concerning the reality of Jesus' flesh and blood as being food and drink. Thus, Jesus is emphasizing the miracle of His body and blood being actual food and drink.
John 6:60 - as are many anti-Catholics today, Jesus' disciples are scandalized by these words. They even ask, "Who can 'listen' to it (much less understand it)?" To the unillumined mind, it seems grotesque.
John 6:61-63 - Jesus acknowledges their disgust. Jesus' use of the phrase "the spirit gives life" means the disciples need supernatural faith, not logic, to understand His words.
John 3:6 - Jesus often used the comparison of "spirit versus flesh" to teach about the necessity of possessing supernatural faith versus a natural understanding. In Mark 14:38 Jesus also uses the "spirit/flesh" comparison. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. We must go beyond the natural t0 understand the supernatural. In 1 Cor. 2:14,3:3; Rom 8:5; and Gal. 5:17, Paul also uses the "spirit/flesh" comparison to teach that unspiritual people are not receiving the gift of faith. They are still "in the flesh."
John 6:63 - Protestants often argue that Jesus' use of the phrase "the spirit gives life" shows that Jesus was only speaking symbolically. However, Protestants must explain why there is not one place in Scripture where "spirit" means "symbolic." As we have seen, the use of "spirit" relates to supernatural faith. What words are spirit and life? The words that we must eat Jesus' flesh and drink His blood, or we have no life in us.
John 6:66-67 - many disciples leave Jesus, rejecting this literal interpretation that we must eat His flesh and drink His blood. At this point, these disciples really thought Jesus had lost His mind. If they were wrong about the literal interpretation, why wouldn't Jesus, the Great Teacher, have corrected them? Why didn't Jesus say, "Hey, come back here, I was only speaking symbolically!"? Because they understood correctly.

Last edited by Gabriel A. Pettinicchio; 04-01-2014 at 06:15 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 06:49 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,368,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658

How about metaphors, Julian. Ever hear of them? Christ also used many other 'figures of speech' over and over to teach, and a child would know they cannot be taken literally.

Example: a couple from the NT: I am the bread of Life, if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out....

OT: the hills shall break forth before you into singing,
And all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

Here's a couple from the English:

Let's paint the town red; she's as big as a house. Should we go get a can of red paint and a brush, and is 'she' quite large or really the same size as a house? Common sense goes a LONG way when reading/ studying the Scriptures.

ETA: have you ever read the 'story' about the "trees" in Judges 9 wanting a king? Try it some time...reading the Scriptures I mean.

Oh and BTW, I don't consider myself a fundamentalist
I am so thankful for your post. You continue to support my point!

Could you explain this verse for me:

Quote:
Genesis 5:3-4
New English Translation (NET)
3 When Adam had lived 130 years he fathered a son in his own likeness, according to his image, and he named him Seth. 4 The length of time Adam lived after he became the father of Seth was 800 years; during this time he had other sons and daughters.

Do I take that literally?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:20 PM

296 posts, read 238,980 times
Let's see ... 130 + 800 = 930 yrs. old

Can't you count Julian? Only kidding.

Anyway, I have another question for Fundamentalists.

What did James mean when he said "Faith without works is dead?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:02 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,423,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
So do you mind if I call you by the name you claim is your's? Satan!
Adversity is not always a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity