Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:59 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,549,291 times

Advertisements

If you believe in a God as a creator, and you feel you need to be "reborn", what went wrong the first time? Were you created wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 08:09 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
If you believe in a God as a creator, and you feel you need to be "reborn", what went wrong the first time? Were you created wrong?
No,We forgot who we are, then we were taught that we are something that we are not.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,244,160 times
The type who gets called at two in the morning when someone's world is falling apart. The type who says, "Of course I'll pray for you. Do you want me to come sit with you?" The type who believes we're supposed to do what Jesus did. The type who believes everyone (Jew, ardent atheist, Christian, no preference, Republican, grumpy old guy with bunions) benefits when we're good to one another.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-12-2014 at 08:55 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 09:03 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,416,756 times
A Forrest Gump type, who loves deeply; and helps others.
One who holds to truth, but is not always as sweet,
... as a box of chocolates.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:11 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,533,403 times
Seems every topic comes down to this on this forum. Among "believers" there are those who know the Bible is all we have today for the learning of God's Word, then there are those who believe they following something more, words of Christ/God that is in their hearts.

2 Cor 3:1 Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others , epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?
2 Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4 And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

Everyone should be able to see that ....

"the letter", "tablets of stone", and "ministration of death" is the OT being contrasted with the NT being "the spirit" and what the people (church) believed (what came from their hearts). Isn't it strange ink was used to tell them!

The Words of Christ and the Spirit are the same thing a lot of times because in parallel passages they are used interchangeably.

Example;

Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Hence being filled with the Spirit is the same thing as letting the word of Christ dwell in you.

Or we can just take Jesus's word can't we?

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Now if the words he spoke unto his disciples are spirit, and are what gives life, where do we go to find those words? Yet people today still rely on what they think their flesh is telling them even though that flesh profits nothing. We can find in the Bible the words he spoke to his disciples. Let their words dwell in you and the Spirit and Christ will be dwelling in you. Let God be true and all others be lairs.

Yes the prophecy of God's law was fulfilled and written into the hearts and minds of men, Paul confirms it in 2 Cor. It was the church, they way they acted as a group, spreading the good news and doing good deeds they were a letter in the hearts and minds of the Apostles.

John 17: 20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

Jesus prayed for us that believe on his disciples word because they spread his word. Yet some here say "Jesus is in my heart" or "in my mind" while totally mocking those that Jesus actually prayed for. If the Bible (the new testament message [The Gospel]) is in your heart and mind, then Christ and the Spirit are to.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:56 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,233,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I'm the kind that believes that what Jesus had to SAY about love as the Way is what is important.
Thanks for that, but it's not what the OP asked.

Me? Episcopalian.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:56 PM

The King James version of the bible was translated by people who didn't know that much. When not sure, they would fill in the blanks as they felt.

Look at our newspapers and magazines from just 100 years ago and you see that our language has changed. We have to do some study to understand what exactly they meant.

Text from 2000 years ago? It's a foreign language to anyone. People who claim they know exactly the meaning of every word are wishful thinking.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:57 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,233,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDweller View Post
Um... okay. I was expecting denominations. I guess it's a misleading question. I should have posed "With which denomination are you affiliated or declare yourself a member? To which theological school of thought do you subscribe?"
Well, you were being naive. The strain of pious self-congratulation is strong on this board.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, you were being naive. The strain of pious self-congratulation is strong on this board.

Oops. Sorry. We need to do bow to cpg.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:31 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,950,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Thanks for that, but it's not what the OP asked.

Me? Episcopalian.
Then perhaps the OP needs to consider what actually makes different kinds of "Christians."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity