Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:20 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,081,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
He was born during the Feast of Tabernacles. While we dont know the exact day, know it was that time since he died at 33.5 yrs old and 6 months before Passover when he died is feast of Tabernacles.
What is your source for that? Just curious. Just last Sunday, our pastor's sermon indicated it's more vague than that. She's a pretty good Biblical scholar, I'll add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 09:29 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,168,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What is your source for that? Just curious. Just last Sunday, our pastor's sermon indicated it's more vague than that. She's a pretty good Biblical scholar, I'll add.

Source? The bible

God does everything according to his Feast days. The bible records Jesus starting his ministry @ 30 yrs old and he was 3 yrs and 6 months into his ministry before he died on Passover. Take away 6 months from Passover and that would bring you to the Feast of Tabernacles. I went though this topic before with some Messianics, Hebrews, and regular Christians and they all came to the same exact conclusion. Im no scholar expert, but just a unbiased study led me to that conclusion as well.

The problem with most pastors now is they dont have a good understanding of the front of the bible and focus so much on the NT, they cant see how God pretty much does everything according to his Feast Days or how things operated back then, or just say the front is done away with.

What were you pastors findings?

Last edited by SAAN; 04-15-2014 at 10:08 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,972,558 times
Quote:
Source? The bible

God doesnt everything according to his Feast days. The bible records Jesus starting his ministry @ 30 yrs old?
Just a note, one is 30 years old for a year, until he turns 31.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:49 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,110,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Just a note, one is 30 years old for a year, until he turns 31.
This is a good point.

I mean the chances are 12:1 that he DIDN'T start his ministry the month he turned 30.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:25 PM

18,255 posts, read 17,002,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
So why does modern Christianity today keep a day with the name of a pagan goddess placed on it that is not even commanded to be kept in the Scriptures?

I contend that modern Christianity is not really true Christianity at all but really just paganism wrapped in deception hiding behind Christian symbols and Christian sounding rhetoric masquerading as God's True Church.
You got that right!

Old 04-15-2014, 02:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,323,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Easter is actually a cultural holiday and it got changed to a Christian Theme under the aculturation program of the Catholic Church. It's the date, sort of like the days of the week that are named after pagan gods. I'm down with that whether you are or not.

Happy Spring!!! I love it!!
Almost all those traditions are fertility ceremonies. You buried a fertilized egg in the field to give the land fertility. Bunnies were the symbolic animal since, well, what bunnies do best is make more bunnies. They are Norse traditions. The painted eggs are also all about fertility, of the land and the animals and the people.

I like that if you wish to see it as 'cultural' you can enjoy and join in with the blessing of your garden at the same time. For a long long time, farmers carried on the fertility practices even after they were christans because the underlying belief it was needed stayed.

The pagan holiday is Ostra, and also celebrated with fertility sumbology. It is all about the rebirth of life after winter, without the death elements christans added.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:44 PM

64,070 posts, read 40,350,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Almost all those traditions are fertility ceremonies. You buried a fertilized egg in the field to give the land fertility. Bunnies were the symbolic animal since, well, what bunnies do best is make more bunnies. They are Norse traditions. The painted eggs are also all about fertility, of the land and the animals and the people.
I like that if you wish to see it as 'cultural' you can enjoy and join in with the blessing of your garden at the same time. For a long long time, farmers carried on the fertility practices even after they were christans because the underlying belief it was needed stayed.
The pagan holiday is Ostra, and also celebrated with fertility sumbology. It is all about the rebirth of life after winter, without the death elements christans added.
::Sigh:: How many people do you think even know about these things? How can they possibly be celebrating them without knowing about them or INTENDING to celebrate them. Those DOING the celebrating determine WHAT they are celebrating by what they INTEND to be celebrating, period!

Old 04-15-2014, 03:53 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,110,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh:: How many people do you think even know about these things? How can they possibly be celebrating them without knowing about them or INTENDING to celebrate them. Those DOING the celebrating determine WHAT they are celebrating by what they INTEND to be celebrating, period!
Well, I think we all already know, and feel, that we're celebrating springtime with these images. They are very very springtime-ish images. I doubt ANYBODY thinks we're celebrating Jesus by coloring eggs or with bunny imagery or chocolate. Or with the traditional Easter ham, LOL. (I personally think Jesus would roll over in his grave if he knew people were celebrating a good Jewish man with ham.)

I doubt people are outright feeling they're "celebrating Ostara" or engaging in a fertility rite or anything, and if they don't have the intent, then no, they're not "worshipping" anyone or anything. But even as a very small child who did believe in God (and only one God), Easter was very obviously about the season - even in a fairly religious neighborhood. We put too green to be realistic grass in baskets, got lots of candy, there were spring flowers and rabbits and baby chicks all over the classrooms. Everybody (in the northern hemisphere) associates Easter with spring, even the very religious, except for those who don't observe the holidays at all.

It doesn't matter whether people "know" the origins but you know what - even if paganism were stamped out entirely (which I doubt - it's experiencing a revival, and rightfully so, IMO; it's no weirder than any other religious belief system), spring would still come, and we would still celebrate spring, period. Just as even if there were never a Halloween again, autumn would come in all its colors, and we would still celebrate autumn, period. And if there were not more Christmas, surely there would be some winter festival to perk people's spirits - probably the main reason so many religions do have winter festivals of one sort or another.

I personally find it funny-slash-sad that EVERY SINGLE natural occurrence seems to be considered "pagan" (read that final word with a slanted mouth to get it to sound JUST right if you want the full effect there). Anything that naturally occurs (well, with the possible exception of God-mandated perfect sedate sex between married couples...if it's done "for the right reasons" ) is a "bad" thing somehow. "ZOMG, animals and grass? That's paaaaaaagan!" Er no...that's planet earth and life!

That's why humans can't win, according to many "religious" folks - because we act human, we act naturally (well duh). Which of course is the perfect insertion for "we must be saved". Bah. Saved from how we were created and the world we live in? No wonder so many religious individuals have such a bleak and serious attitude about sin, hell, the End Times, et. al. Because everything that you are and everything about the world you actually live in is "bad" and "non-spiritual". I assert that the world we live in can be spiritual - and that the whole "you can't win" thing about Christianity is just purely sad.

Wow, sorry for the rant.

Last edited by JerZ; 04-15-2014 at 04:06 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 04:57 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,081,614 times
Quote:
Source? The bible

God does everything according to his Feast days. The bible records Jesus starting his ministry @ 30 yrs old and he was 3 yrs and 6 months into his ministry before he died on Passover. Take away 6 months from Passover and that would bring you to the Feast of Tabernacles. I went though this topic before with some Messianics, Hebrews, and regular Christians and they all came to the same exact conclusion. Im no scholar expert, but just a unbiased study led me to that conclusion as well.

The problem with most pastors now is they dont have a good understanding of the front of the bible and focus so much on the NT, they cant see how God pretty much does everything according to his Feast Days or how things operated back then, or just say the front is done away with.

What were you pastors findings?
Please cite chapter and verse. This is the first I've ever heard that anyone was ever able to pin down Jesus' birth to this Feast of the Tabernacles, or that he was exactly 33.5 years old at the time of his death. If that was in the Bible, there'd be no argument about when Jesus was born.

My pastor said that Jesus died between a certain range of years, I can't remember now exactly which.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:03 PM

18,255 posts, read 17,002,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
(well, with the possible exception of God-mandated perfect sedate sex between married couples...

Wow, sorry for the rant.
Don't apologize. That started getting really interesting......until you mentioned "married couples".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity