Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 07:44 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Trying to figure out what part of my last post indicated a hiatus? The "take care?" That refers in no way to a hiatus, it just means I'm done speaking with you on this subject. Pay attention.
Can't say that I blame you, though avoiding defending your faith is contrary to the teachings in the NT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 07:50 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I believe in God because of an experience I had alone when I was a toddler. I believe Jesus was the Messiah because of prophecies fulfilled. I do not believe all of the bible is the word of God, but it does contain many truths.
Have you ever heard of the Gabriel Inscriptions? These were written in the 1st century BCE, just before the birth of Jesus, explaining how the Messiah, at the time likely Simon from Perea, died and rose again after three days. It's likely, or at least possible, that the Gospel writers took this story and recreated it to pertain to Jesus.
I'm wondering how a toddler can discern that an experience was supernatural verses a dream or a hallucination. Can you expand on that experience a bit more? I believe the OP would benefit from your explanation.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:46 AM

45 posts, read 43,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I believe in God because of an experience I had alone when I was a toddler. I believe Jesus was the Messiah because of prophecies fulfilled. I do not believe all of the bible is the word of God, but it does contain many truths.

This is one of the problems am having... If we can't believe the whole Bible how we accept any of it? I says that "All Scripture is given by the inspiration of God". If this is true shouldn't we accept all of it? But if people are willing to discard the parts they don't like and only hold on to the parts they do like, this is inconsistent and IMO pointless.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:03 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfish View Post
This is one of the problems am having... If we can't believe the whole Bible how we accept any of it? I says that "All Scripture is given by the inspiration of God". If this is true shouldn't we accept all of it? But if people are willing to discard the parts they don't like and only hold on to the parts they do like, this is inconsistent and IMO pointless.
Yakfish, are you saying if a person doesn't believe some of the descriptions of God (as vengeful, wrathful, capricious, etc.) found in the OT, then it is pointless for them to believe things like God is love, God isn't holding the sins of the world against them, forgive as you have been forgiven, love your enemies, do unto others, etc.?

Why would it be pointless?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Yakfish, are you saying if a person doesn't believe some of the descriptions of God (as vengeful, wrathful, capricious, etc.) found in the OT, then it is pointless for them to believe things like God is love, God isn't holding the sins of the world against them, forgive as you have been forgiven, love your enemies, do unto others, etc.?

Why would it be pointless?
Yes

If all scripture is given by inspiration of God and the OT is scripture, then how can you discount what is written in the OT while accepting what is written in the NT? How can that be viewed any other way besides hypocritical?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Yes

If all scripture is given by inspiration of God and the OT is scripture, then how can you discount what is written in the OT while accepting what is written in the NT? How can that be viewed any other way besides hypocritical?

But yakfish, you didn't answer the question? WHAT is pointless about believing that God is love, and is not holding our sins against us, and that forgiving and loving others is how we are called to live? How is ANY of that pointless? Do you think that none of that is worthwhile unless you also believe that God is wrathful and vengeful and capricious? Why?

Old 04-20-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
But yakfish, you didn't answer the question? WHAT is pointless about believing that God is love, and is not holding our sins against us, and that forgiving and loving others is how we are called to live? How is ANY of that pointless? Do you think that none of that is worthwhile unless you also believe that God is wrathful and vengeful and capricious? Why?
I don't think believing that God is loving is pointless. But picking and choosing which parts of the Bible you want to believe is pointless. How can one believe part of it but not all of it when it claims to all be inspired by God.

This little side discussion is getting slightly off topic. This original question in this thread is WHY do people believe in God and WHY do they believe the Bible is his Word?

Old 04-20-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I don't think believing that God is loving is pointless. But picking and choosing which parts of the Bible you want to believe is pointless. How can one believe part of it but not all of it when it claims to all be inspired by God.

First, the bible does not claim that all of it is true. One verse in one book of the bible says that all scripture is valuable for teaching, reproof and correction. So, first you have to decide if that book, much less that verse, is true. How do you determine that? And, even if it is, now you are left to determine what exactly did that particular author recognize as "scripture". And then, if you could determine that, what changes have occurred in that scripture over time due to the "lying pen of the scribes"?

More importantly, this isn't about what people want to believe or don't want to believe. It's about what makes sense. Does it make sense that the God who IS love is also vengeful, wrathful and capricious? Of course not, so it's quite easy to determine that those views of God contradict and cannot both be true.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
First, the bible does not claim that all of it is true. One verse in one book of the bible says that all scripture is valuable for teaching, reproof and correction. So, first you have to decide if that book, much less that verse, is true. How do you determine that? And, even if it is, now you are left to determine what exactly did that particular author recognize as "scripture". And then, if you could determine that, what changes have occurred in that scripture over time due to the "lying pen of the scribes"?

More importantly, this isn't about what people want to believe or don't want to believe. It's about what makes sense. Does it make sense that the God who IS love is also vengeful, wrathful and capricious? Of course not, so it's quite easy to determine that those views of God contradict and cannot both be true.
That " one verse" was written by the apostle Paul to Timothy. Paul was raised a Jew and most certainly viewed to OT as scripture. The OT is where you find the vengeance and wrath of God more than anywhere else.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
That " one verse" was written by the apostle Paul to Timothy. Paul was raised a Jew and most certainly viewed to OT as scripture. The OT is where you find the vengeance and wrath of God more than anywhere else.
You've avoided the rest of the points I made in the first paragraph, which all flow together, yakfish. Maybe you could address them as a whole?

And, you also avoided the second paragraph altogether ... do you have any response to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity