Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2014, 11:35 AM

45 posts, read 43,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You've avoided the rest of the points I made in the first paragraph, which all flow together, yakfish. Maybe you could address them as a whole?

And, you also avoided the second paragraph altogether ... do you have any response to that?
Nope...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 11:38 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfish View Post
Nope...
Okey doke.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:35 PM

555 posts, read 456,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I did not decide anything. I was born into it.

You cannot apply logic to religion.

The natural progression for some is:

Believer
Disappointment
Doubt
Agnostic
Atheism

Most do not progress beyond atheism. Where are you?
And by God's grace, for some it is:

Atheist
Agnostic
Seeker
Beginner
Disciple

For nothing is impossible with God.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Please don't take that for granted. Not only have I read the Bible but I have studied it my entire life. Even so I still find myself doubting its validity. I understand every house has a builder, and the heavens declare the glory of God. I also know that according to 1Peter 3:15 that we should always be ready yo give a defence to anyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is within you with meekness and fear. I can't do that at this point.
Do you mind sharing what Church you have been attending?

Old 04-20-2014, 05:23 PM

The name on the building is Church Of Christ. I have always been taught the Bible as the word of God is the ultimate authority and we should follow it alone to know how to live and worship God. Obviously I am not convinced of this.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:15 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
The name on the building is Church Of Christ. I have always been taught the Bible as the word of God is the ultimate authority and we should follow it alone to know how to live and worship God. Obviously I am not convinced of this.
Well, good, I grew up with that sign on the building and I found out they were wrong about that a LONG time ago.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, good, I grew up with that sign on the building and I found out they were wrong about that a LONG time ago.
What exactly convinced you they were wrong? I am just as interested in hearing about this side of the story as I am about the reasons faithful christians remain faithful.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
What exactly convinced you they were wrong? I am just as interested in hearing about this side of the story as I am about the reasons faithful christians remain faithful.
Is the Church of Christ a Cult?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Actually, what I saw was that the gospel seemed to have no power in their lives; the church politics I witnessed were an eye-opener so I started examining what I found to be the contradictions and the emphasis on the letter of the scriptures as opposed (and I do mean opposed) to the spirit. Unfortunately, at the time my conclusion was that there was no spirit underlying faith in general rather than only the faith I saw expressed there and I became an atheist..........until I recognized the Spirit as real and moving in the world, not bounded by what was reported in the Bible as a whole.

Btw don't worry about the site posted above, it's just even MORE legalism.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Actually, what I saw was that the gospel seemed to have no power in their lives; the church politics I witnessed were an eye-opener so I started examining what I found to be the contradictions and the emphasis on the letter of the scriptures as opposed (and I do mean opposed) to the spirit. Unfortunately, at the time my conclusion was that there was no spirit underlying faith in general rather than only the faith I saw expressed there and I became an atheist..........until I recognized the Spirit as real and moving in the world, not bounded by what was reported in the Bible as a whole.
Nateswift-

After examining my conscience during prayer this morning, I know that I sinned against you in the course of our many exchanges yesterday.

I am truly sorry for having offended you, and I ask for your forgiveness.

Going forward, I will endeavor to limit my comments to the subject matter of the thread itself and to present my views in a charitable manner. As scripture says:

Hebrews 12:14-15
Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
14 Strive for peace with all men, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.

Finally, I have several people to whom I must repent, so please do not think that my sincerity is diminished in any way by the fact that I use this message more than once in many threads as I come across those to whom it must be addressed.

God bless.

Randy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity