Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 09:15 AM

555 posts, read 457,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Augustine said, " However, which of these two opinions is more probable, let the reader choose." So you take it to mean "which of the two mutually contradictory opinions is most supportive of your arguments at any one time is the one you should choose" rather than "figure out which of the two is really true."

Wow.
Curious, isn't it? If Augustine was so sure on the matter, why did he leave it up to the reader to choose rather than declaring one position right and the other wrong?

Sometimes the scriptures refer to Jesus as the Rock. Sometimes they refer to Peter as the Rock.

No "wow" about that.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:18 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCarson View Post
Sometimes the scriptures refer to Jesus as the Rock.

Sometime they refer to Peter as the Rock.

No "wow" about that.
Peter also referred to us as all as being living stones. Peter himself would never refer to himself as being any form of rock other than the rock we are all hewn out of.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Peter also referred to us as all as being living stones. Peter himself would never refer to himself as being any form of rock other than the rock we are all hewn out of.

You're probably right.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:48 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
Curious, isn't it? If Augustine was so sure on the matter, why did he leave it up to the reader to choose rather than declaring one position right and the other wrong?

Sometimes the scriptures refer to Jesus as the Rock. Sometimes they refer to Peter as the Rock.

No "wow" about that.
We are not talking about different "scriptures," we are talking about ONE scripture and whether there are two "rocks" involved or one. The two conclusions are mutually exclusive. Regardless of how Augustine put it, YOU have a choice to make to find truth, you can't have your cake and eat it.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:54 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,964 times
Originally Posted by CRCarson
Quote:
Sometimes the scriptures refer to Jesus as the Rock.

Sometime they refer to Peter as the Rock.

No "wow" about that.
Funny here's who Peter, Himself called 'The Stone,' and The Rock"
1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

1Pe 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,

1Pe 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
ETA:No one except God/Christ was called specifically "rock," and it's never used as a proper name except for Them.

Last edited by mshipmate; 04-19-2014 at 11:06 AM..

Old 04-19-2014, 11:08 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,964 times
Is Peter the rock on which the Church is built? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

The feminine "petra" occurs four times in the Greek New Testament:
Matt. 16:18, "And I also say to you that you are Peter (petros), and upon this rock (petra) I will build My church; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it."

Matt. 27:60, "and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock (petra); and he rolled a large stone against the entrance of the tomb and went away."

1 Cor. 10:4, "and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock (petras) which followed them; and the rock (petra) was Christ."

1 Pet. 2:8, speaking of Jesus says that he is "A stone of stumbling and a rock (petra) of offense"; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed."
We can clearly see that in the three other uses of the Greek word petra (nominative singular; "petras" in 1 Cor. 10:4 is genitive singular) we find it referred to as a large immovable mass of rock in which a tomb is carved out (Matt. 27:60)
and in reference to Christ (1 Cor. 10:4; 1 Pet. 2:8). Note that Peter himself in the last verse referred to petra as being Jesus! If Peter uses the word as a reference to Jesus, then shouldn't we?

Old 04-19-2014, 11:36 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Good point.

If Matthew had wanted to refer to Peter as a small stone or pebble, he could have called him "Lithos" instead of "Petros". Petros is simply the masculine form of petras.

As it is, scripture records Simon's new name as Cephas - a derivative of the Aramaic, kepha.

THAT is what Jesus would have said instead of speaking Greek.
A correct translation distinguishes the differences:

You are Ke'pha, but on this SHU'A, I will build MY Church."
You are Petros, but on this PETRA, I will build MY Church."

However, you can follow your own consciousness without the mind of Christ.

It is not saying: Ke'pha/ke'pha or Perto/petro.
Neither, is it saying: "You are Peter, and on this Peter..."

"Make an attempt to put some Petra in that Pope mobile, before it peters-out."

Last edited by Jerwade; 04-19-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 12:18 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
A correct translation distinguishes the differences:
You are Ke'pha, but on this SHU'A, I will build MY Church."
You are Petros, but on this PETRA, I will build MY Church."

However, you can follow your own consciousness without the mind of Christ.
It is not saying: Ke'pha/ke'pha or Perto/petro.
Neither, is it saying: "You are Peter, and on this Peter..."
"Make an attempt to put some Petra in that Pope mobile, before it peters-out."
You rock, Jerwade! ROFL

Old 04-19-2014, 12:41 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You rock, Jerwade! ROFL
Shyme upon both of ye! Ya remind me of myself.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
We are not talking about different "scriptures," we are talking about ONE scripture and whether there are two "rocks" involved or one. The two conclusions are mutually exclusive. Regardless of how Augustine put it, YOU have a choice to make to find truth, you can't have your cake and eat it.
Then I go with the infallible Church which our Lord promised to lead into all truth.

Sorry, Gus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.