Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 04:24 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 831,408 times

Advertisements

[quote=CRCarson;34476971]Not until 2033 anyway.[quote] The first church was in Jerusalem and their bishop was James and not Peter. That shows us that there is a difference of a bishop and an Apostle Peter who was one of the founders of that church. If you believe that the RCC is the same as the Jerusalem church, which had no Pope Peter, that is fine with me, I do not believe it, because I have my reasons, but this would be a new thread.

Sure they do. They know those verses, too. But what they know that you don't is that the Greek and Aramaic of one verse says that Peter is the rock.[quote] A human is not a rock, so you cannot take that literally, it has to be interpreted, and there we differ. I believe as your saint Augustine believes, very Catholic. That other Catholics believe as you, does not matter. No big deal.

His vicar, yes. Well said. [quote] You missed my words "under Christ authority", Peter sinned, denying the Lord, so Jesus had to restore him, I do not think that he lost the keys, but Jesus did not call him Peter, but Simon, son of Jonas again (John 21:15-17). To get authority does not mean, we can not lose it as you claim. Wicked Popes are fallen away and are not the rock, or a successor of Peter.

John 1:42
And he brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter). Here Peter is called a stone, a little rock of the big rock Jesus. I have to correct myself, Jesus did not change Simon's name, His name became Simon Peter (as surname) (Mar 3:16; Joh 6:68; Acts 10:5). After that Jesus called him Simon and not Peter in Mar 14:37; Luke 7:40; Luke 22:31.

Some have been ordained Bishop of Rome. Those are called popes today.
If you would agree that the RCC made the bishop of Rome the Pope, you would not need to tell me how Peter became the bishop of Rome, there is no scripture nor other evidence. That Rome became preeminence, no question, but that happened by earthly power through Rome in a wicked way.

Peter was the head of the early church, and if Peter had died in Antioch, his successor in Antioch would be the head of the Church today. [quote] That means where the dead body of Peter is their is the head of the church, the Pope. So the Roman Emperor who crucified Peter is responsible for the Vatican being in Rome, I did not knew that.

Jesus ordained Peter and the apostles.
I asked who ordained Peter as bishop of Rome. You just claim that he was. Just religion, you have to believe it, called faith. But the RCC is worse, if you do not believe it, you are anathema, you have no choice as a Catholic. They curse not only with over 100 curses the Protestants, but also their own members and they cannot cancel the curses, they are spoken infallible. Big problem for a church that wants to bring back the Protestants, who are not protesting any more. But who cares which laws a church has, that was the middle ages, now it is different. But if this church cannot err, this laws stand and the devil will surely claim them. I hope you will come out by the grace of God, I do not know, it is your faith, not mine.

It is a word or title that simply means "father". That title was applied later to the office that always existed. [quote]
Can you give a scripture for that office, I mean another than the rock and keys. Jesus gave the leadership to Peter, James and John. James was killed in Jerusalem, Peter in Rome, why does John not become the leader? Was he not an Apostle, much higher in rank than the bishop of Rome, Linus. I can tell you, why he was not the successor, he was on Patmos near Ephesus, which kept the apostolic tradition, in contrast to Rome, who preferred pagan traditions. This a historical fact.

Correct. What you wrote here is complete myth. Whew!
Quote:
Thank you!

Can you provide any documentation that any pope has ever declared himself God? Thanks. [quote}
I have read about it, I do not remember names. I do not want to go into the history of the popes and the RCC again. If 10% is true, it is still too much. But the church is very good in cover up. Have your way. Every thing will come to light, God is a righteous judge.

Based on this pope, it is abundantly clear who is in serious error. I suggest more reading.
I admit that Pope Francis is different. But I do not believe that he has any power to change anything. He has to establish the one world religion and will compromise with truth, that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father, but by Him.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:10 AM

555 posts, read 457,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Resort to mockery and ridicule is a sign of defeat. Sticking one's tongue out is a very mature and intellectual rebuttal. Are you suggesting that the Roman Empire did NOT coerce the acceptance of the Roman Bishop as Pope and Catholicism as the state religion?
I acknowledge that this occurred to some degree. I do not accept that everyone was coerced or forced to become Christians. Obviously, many people converted to Christianity because they actually believed the message.

Christianity was flourishing for 300 years before the Edict of Milan, and the Bishop of Rome was viewed as the head of the Church for all that time.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's their church, so they can make the rules
Stunningly clear. Thank you.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inattentive View Post
Like with many (too many) doctrinal practices the catholic church simply perceived that if Peter is the root of the building of Gods church then let me se now hmmmm that must mean that Peter successors are infallible in their church related doctrine and interpretation (inspired by God ) Yeah that's the ticket!!! The "Bishop of Rome" is really the Cardinal of Rome
aka Pope the head of the Catholic church via the Papacy.
Mostly correct, yes.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
You are sadly mistaken. I have had and continue to have many of my posts deleted for various reasons. The moderators here are extremely fair and objective. They simply won't let us denigrate each other or change the topic as stated in the OP. I will miss you, brother. Your zeal for the RCC as an institution is misplaced IMO . . . but we share many things as followers of Christ. To the extent that your views tend to the dogmatic and fundamentalist variety . . . we will differ greatly. But some things are true regardless. We have a number of free thinkers here who follow Christ . . . but not dogma or the "precepts and doctrines of men." Authoritarians (which you seem to be) prefer to follow some authority rather than think and reason on their own about these issues. That can make this a very uncomfortable place. I am sorry you feel the need to leave.
MysticPhD-

What I observe is that "freethinkers", as you call them, are deemed acceptable as long as their freethinking lines up with YOUR views.

Once a freethinker comes to the conclusion that Catholicism is true, then that individual has lost all credibility in your eyes despite the fact that is was your cherished process of freethinking that brought them to that conclusion.

Thus, if a freethinker reasons, studies and prays, and comes to the conclusion that God really did establish an authoritative Church with leaders who should be obeyed - BOOM! - they are now dismissed.

In other words, your position boils down to this: "I, MysticPhD, have decided that the Catholic Church is wrong. Therefore, anyone who disagrees with that position is an idiot."

Old 04-23-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel A. Pettinicchio View Post
I'm suggesting you rub the belly of the fat man again for real knowledge instead of luck.

I'm leaving the forum. How is it, so many of you are allowed to trash, disrespect and misrepresent the Catholic Church and it's members, is beyond me. I had 78 out of my first 100 posts removed from reportedly changing the subject...while I don't remember one thread ever being titled in respect to the trashing that many of you have done. Which of course proves that that you can play under a different set of rules.

So you can continue to wallow in your disagreements and be different & confused under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, of course.
Gabe-

I'll probably wrap things up here and be along presently.

You know where to find me.

Randy

Old 04-23-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You misunderstand Catholicism!
He understands his version of it.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Originally Posted by CRCarson

I don't think you understand how nouns are used in 'foreign' languages. In the Greek [as well as French and Spanish] all nouns are either masculine or feminine. Does this mean that when a noun is feminine that means it's a female? No!

It simply means that Christ was distinguishing between two different 'rocks,' the masc. noun petros refers to Peter and the fem. noun perta refers to something totally different.

"petra" occurs 4 times in the NT:
Matt. 16:18, "And I also say to you that you are Peter (petros), and upon this rock (petra) I will build My church; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it."

Matt. 27:60, "and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock (petra); and he rolled a large stone against the entrance of the tomb and went away."

1 Cor. 10:4, "and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock (petras) which followed them; and the rock (petra) was Christ."

1 Pet. 2:8, speaking of Jesus says that he is "A stone of stumbling and a rock (petra) of offense"; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed."
Here's a similar example in French. Nouns are shown which 'gender' they are by either la, or le.

Example: 'pen' is feminine; la plume, the word "pencil" is masculine;le crayon, and the word "life" is fem.; la vie. Does this mean than that the pen is a female, the pencil is male, and life is a female.? Of course not.

So to say the noun fem. noun 'petra' can only be used to mean a female is incorrect.

And BTW, the word 'spirit' in the Hebrew is feminine. Does this then mean the Holy Spirit is a woman? You see how silly your quote above is?
I have posted 25 quotes from serious scholars...people with lots of years of education and letters behind their names...guys whose writings are published in journals and reference works used by others for study. They get paid to study this stuff, and they disagree with you.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:06 AM

1,030 posts, read 841,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's their church, so they can make the rules
You are right. They can make the rules for their man-made organization that have no effect of the Gospel of Jesus Christ or salvation. They can only control those who bow to them while alive on this earth. Once they realize the limit of their authority the will begin to see the light.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:17 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
No one is judging anyone's cultural heritage. It seems to me that the fundamentalist Catholics can be just as misguided as the Sola Scriptura fundamentalist Protestants, Julian . .
I think the number of free thinkers in the Catholic CHurch is vastly greater than in the Sola Scriptura camp. Fundies in Catholicism are very rare. I think you are confusing an exercise in apologetics with fundamentalism.

The CC is strongly based on tradition (with big T and little t) and that is where the beauty comes in. That is why Peter Kreeft converted when he visited Saint Patrick in NYC.

Religion is religion and they make their own rules. It is futile to assume one is better than the other. The Sola Scriptura folks try to get around this by saying they do not belong to organized religion. But, in the end they are much more religious than ALL others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.