Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is James the brother of Jesus?
Yes 27 90.00%
No 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:26 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,453,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
There are only two James.

Sola Scriptura folks have been taught you that James the Just is the brother of Jesus. How do they even call themselves Sola Scriptura?
(Matthew 13:55) 55 Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary, and his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?

Not said by believers, but neighbors of the family. His family, other trhan Mary, did not believe he was the Messiah until after his resurrection, so no spiritual brotherhood involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,453,946 times
Quote:
Not a straw man, just a joke. But, I give you points for that!
Fortunately I have a sense of humor (and it gets me in trouble from time to time).

Old 05-13-2014, 08:32 AM

12,688 posts, read 6,755,364 times
Quote:
How do you explain this verses? Note that I quoted the KJV.

Matthew 10:2-4
King James Version (KJV)
2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;

3 Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus;

4 Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him.

Anticipated thanks!
I have no clue what you're asking here.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:33 AM

368 posts, read 392,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Please post any verse in the NT where "Brother" in context means anything other than a brother as in fleshly brother.
First of all, why do you want to restrict this to the New Testament? Why not look at the Septuagint Greek Old Testament -- except, of course, that you know it provides too many examples of exactly what you want to avoid?

But fine, let's just begin by looking at the New Testament:

Matthew 1:2 Abraham was the father of Isaac, and Isaac the father of Jacob, and Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers, Only five of Judah's "brothers" are his full brothers, having Leah as their mother. The remaining six of Jacob's sons are half brothers: Dan and Naphtali are the sons of Bilhah, Gad and Asher are the sons of Zilpah, and Benjamin and Joseph are the sons of Rachel.

Matthew 14:3 For Herod had seized John and bound him and put him in prison, for the sake of Herodias, his brother Philip's wife; Philip and Herod had different mothers, and were only half-brothers.

Acts 9:17 So Ananias departed and entered the house. And laying his hands on him he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on the road by which you came, has sent me that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit." Saul is not a blood relative of Ananias at all.

Romans 16:23 Gaius, who is host to me and to the whole church, greets you. Erastus, the city treasurer, and our brother Quartus, greet you. Quartus is not a blood relation.

Acts 7:2 And Stephen said: "Brothers and fathers, hear me." Stephen addresses a crowd of his fellow Jews (that is, fellow descendants of Jacob) as "brothers".

And let's not forget the feminine form -
John 19:25 So the soldiers did this. But standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. Two sisters of full blood would not have the same first name. As it so happens, the early Christian writer Hegesippus tells us that Clopas was the brother of Joseph, making Mary the wife of Clopas the sister-in-law of the mother of Jesus.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:37 AM

12,688 posts, read 6,755,364 times
Quote:
There are only two James.
That's like saying there's only two people named Fred in the world. It's so nonsensical it actually hurts my brain.

James = This is what happens to the OT name Jacob when you translate it to Greek and then to English.

Jesus = Joshua

John = Jonah

Mary = Miriam

Judas = Judah

These names are like Sara, Tom and William today. Those names were extremely commonplace.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:39 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,367,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
(Matthew 13:55) 55 Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary, and his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?

Not said by believers, but neighbors of the family. His family, other trhan Mary, did not believe he was the Messiah until after his resurrection, so no spiritual brotherhood involved.
I understand your disappointment. But, as we have said at nauseam "brothers" has many meanings. For example you and I are brothers in the forum.

However, Matthew 10:2-4 is very specific about who the fathers are. There is no room for misinterpretation.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
That's like saying there's only two people named Fred in the world. It's so nonsensical it actually hurts my brain.

James = This is what happens to the OT name Jacob when you translate it to Greek and then to English.

Jesus = Joshua

John = Jonah

Mary = Miriam

Judas = Judah

These names are like Sara, Tom and William today. Those names were extremely commonplace.
Do not be misleading. I am talking about the two apostles named James.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:42 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,233,257 times
James, the author of the Book of James in the New Testament, and the first Bishop of Jerusalem, whose martyrdom is recorded in the Bible, was Jesus's half-brother by Mary. He was not a follower or believer of Jesus until he saw Him after the resurrection.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I have no clue what you're asking here.
Pretending to be disoriented is another poor technique while losing a debate.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:44 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,233,257 times
Quote:

Jesus = Joshua

John = Jonah

Mary = Miriam

Judas = Judah

Correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity