Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:40 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,324 times

Advertisements

Jesus word bears this out, that those who do good works will enter the kingdom of God.
Matthew 5:16 NKJV
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

John 10:32 NKJV
Jesus answered them, "Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of those works do you stone Me.

Jesus said; ( Father) "I have glorified you by completing the work you gave me to do."

Notice that the works glorify God. These are not works of man but works of God. Understanding the difference is key.

What did Jesus say He came to do and why He was sent? He said He was sent to proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God. He said he was sent to testify to the truth which is Gods word. That is doing the works of God.

"He who acts in truth comes to the light so his deeds are revealed as works of God."

"All those who do good to the resurrection of life."

"Not everyone who cries to me Lord, Lord shall enter the kingdom of heaven but only those who do the will of my heavenly Father."

"The man who believes in me shall do the works I do"

He said; "The words I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing His works."

Jesus said; Follow me. He said ; "He who hears you hears me." Why? Because the words are suppose to be His words. That is why he said; "As the Father sent me so I send you."

That is why He said He gave His followers the words that were given to Him and they accepted them. He said to the Father that He sent His followers as He was sent. So if they have the same words and were sent as He was sent then they teach as He taught, same words same message. Those are the good works of the righteous.

"The righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 08:37 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,341 times
We are saved by Grace, not by Works. The Bible makes this perfectly clear. See Ephesians 2:8

However it also says that Faith without Works is dead. See James 2:14-26

Faith and Works are closely intertwined but should not be confused for one another. You cannot "earn" God's love, it is unconditional. When you have truly accepted his Free Gift of Salvation that is it, there is nothing more to it than that. However you are born anew and will be an agent for God, being guided by The Holy Spirit to help others.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:45 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
We are saved by Grace, not by Works. The Bible makes this perfectly clear. See Ephesians 2:8

Faith and Works are closely intertwined but should not be confused for one another. You cannot "earn" God's love, it is unconditional. When you have truly accepted his Free Gift of Salvation that is it, there is nothing more to it than that. However you are born anew and will be an agent for God, being guided by The Holy Spirit to help others.
That is a completely ignorant understanding of God's Word. Is it not ourselves that earn that salvation. But JESUS Christ DID earn it BY HIS WORKS!!!! Wake up people! Jesus CHRIST EARNED SALVATION! Read that again. JESUS EARNED SALVATION!!!!! They are HIS WORKS!!!. He owns them. They are NOT ours. They are His.. We are saved by His EARNED WORKS!!!!!

He overcame sin by His works. If we have Chist, HIS works will overcome out fleshy nature and save us by putting down sin in our own flesh.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:

If you only consider what Jesus said and not the Epistles, it is works that save because the works are the proof of faith. The works as the OP shows are the same works Jesus was sent to do. Many believe that the works are the miracles but Jesus words say it is the words the son of man was sent to speak that are the works of the Father. That is why Jesus said; "If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple, then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

He said "If the son frees you you shall truly be free."

The OT says that the son is the servant of God. So if the servant of God frees you, or you become the servant of God, then you will be freed by the truth, the word of God that you spread.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:14 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
So OP, if your premise is correct what good works did the thief on the cross do?

If you are correct, what good works did the Tax collector do to leave the temple justified in the parable of the Tax collector and the Pharisee?

If you are correct, then why did did Jesus say: Jn 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

And why did Paul write. Ro 3:27 Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of observing the law? No, but on that of faith. Ro 3:28 For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law.

No serious Christian will question that Good Works are expected and commanded by God, but the Bible does not say that it is our good works that save us. However, it says many times that we are justified, (declared righteous) by faith. Jesus death and resurrection earned our salvation, not our pitiful good works.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
So OP, if your premise is correct what good works did the thief on the cross do?

If you are correct, what good works did the Tax collector do to leave the temple justified in the parable of the Tax collector and the Pharisee?

If you are correct, then why did did Jesus say: Jn 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

And why did Paul write. Ro 3:27 Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of observing the law? No, but on that of faith. Ro 3:28 For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law.

No serious Christian will question that Good Works are expected and commanded by God, but the Bible does not say that it is our good works that save us. However, it says many times that we are justified, (declared righteous) by faith. Jesus death and resurrection earned our salvation, not our pitiful good works.

The thief on the cross did not go to heaven. Jesus said paradise which could mean a number of different things or He was speaking of the day the son of man comes into his kingdom which the thief spoke of.

As for believing in Jesus and not being condemned, the OP answered that because those who believe do the works Jesus did.

The tax collector and the Pharisee story was a parable about those who are proud about doing works of man not about doing the works of God as Jesus said His followers would do as He did. The tax collector who asked God to be merciful was not actually saying that verbally, he asked by doing the works of God though Jesus did not specifically say that but that is the only way to ask for Gods mercy. To humble yourself is to be like Jesus and serve the Father as He did because the son of man says he is meek and humble of heart yet he claims to be the son of God. Most would say he exalted himself because they do not see that to serve God is to humble yourself to God.

Here is the parable;

10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.
11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, "God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.
12 I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.'
13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner!'
14 I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted."

Old 05-18-2014, 04:33 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
One scripture which Jesus said which selfishness must be overcome and of the right spirit which good works is shown comes from Matthew 25: 35-41...............as Jesus says to people on His right hand who will inherit the kingdom .............``For I was hungry and you gave me meat............ I was thirsty and you gave me water ..............I was a stranger and you took me in ............Naked and you clothed me ...........I was in prison and you came to me ........................And He said to the people on the left hand...... `Depart from me you cursed in to everlasting fire , prepared for the devil and his angels ........I was hungry and you , gave me no meat ...........I was thirsty and you gave me no drink............I was a stranger and you did not take me in ............naked and you did not clothe me ............in prison and you did not minister to me ............in so much as you did it not to one of the lest of these you did it one to me ``..................

Old 05-18-2014, 04:41 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
If you only consider what Jesus said and not the Epistles, it is works that save because the works are the proof of faith.
So you're ignoring 3/4 of the NT. Hebrews said He took away the first (law) and implemented the second (grace). But of course you have to ignore that too. And since you only consider what Jesus said, consider this:

John 6:28-29:
28 Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?" 29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

Works flow out of salvation. Not the other way around. And then you have that pesky John 3:16 verse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
The thief on the cross did not go to heaven. Jesus said paradise which could mean a number of different things or He was speaking of the day the son of man comes into his kingdom which the thief spoke of.
Probably one of the most ridiculous things I've read here, which is saying a lot. Since Jesus said the thief would be Him, where did Jesus go?

Your argument eliminates the need for the cross. I don't understand why people think they are still living under the OT.

If you look at Romans and Galatians, then.....oh, wait. We have to ignore that since they say that we are under grace and not the law.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:21 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Ro 4:3 What does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”
Ro 4:4 Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation.
Ro 4:5 However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.

Well, the OP ignores Roms. 3. Lets see if he ignores Rom. 4. And Paradise isn't heaven? What a silly man.lol

Old 05-18-2014, 05:35 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:

Matthew 25 FF the words of Jesus HIMSELF!!!!!!!

Whatever you do to these, the least of My brethren, you do to ME!

Why is it that you faith alone people never quote Jesus Himself?

We are ALWAYS being tested. Being a follower of Jesus means accepting continuous testing. I think the Gospels are FILLED with supporting teachings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity