Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:53 PM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times

Advertisements

Usually this is mentioned when the homosexual agenda advances in our culture... however is not not mentioned when the rich get away with breaking the law, or when the government let's crime slide without punishment to certain people.

But on occasion someone will remark about the moral decline and corruption of the country.

Here's my question. Will we know when God has had enough? And what will those signs be?

I remember when Hurricane Katrina was occurring - some would suggest God's punishment - people said they were crazy.

California has had numerous wildfires in their state - but to suggest it to be because of God's punishment would be insensitive to many.

You can even go back to 9/11 and the WTC - would anyone consider that as punishment from God?

How about the economy? Many people out of work... the government mismanages the money it gets and has the country in extreme debt... higher prices for necessities...

Deuteronomy 28 lists a bunch of curses that would occur if Israel did not follow the Lord. I know we are not Israel - but it would seem foolish to think that some of those predictions would not happen here upon us not following the Lord. And if the Lord did act, there are plenty of worldly excuses to overlook God's hand - global warming, the world hates us so they attacked, it's the Republicans fault or the Dems, etc.

I understand that the world won't understand - but will Christians see God's hand in these events? OR is it God removing His protection from us so that we self destruct on our own? OR do we simply echo the world's reasoning?

Old 05-21-2014, 02:02 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Billy Graham once commented that his wife Ruth told him, "If God doesn't punish American soon He will have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah."

Things in America are at levels of degeneracy that Sodom could never in their wildest imaginations conceive. If God was punishing New Orleans for its sin, He didn't do a very good job because ten ears later new Orleans is more wicked than ever.

Perhaps we can surmise that, on the whole, these are all natural events brought on by man's incessant tampering with the climate. The fact that this year was the hottest AND the coldest on record at least in this country, and extreme weather-related events around the globe are increasing at an exponential rate would suggest God has little or nothing to do with punishing the world for its evil.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

California has had numerous wildfires in their state - but to suggest it to be because of God's punishment would be insensitive to many.
California, the birthplace of both the Pentecostal movement and the Jesus People (hint - hint), has been burning (and having earthquakes) since before the Spanish arrived and the only people there were Native Peoples.

Was God punishing the Indians?

Old 05-21-2014, 02:16 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
2Co 5:19 how that God was in Christ, conciliating the world to Himself, not reckoning their offenses to them, and placing in us the word of the conciliation."

God is at peace with the world and has been for the last 2000 years and has not been reckoning their offenses to them.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
California, the birthplace of both the Pentecostal movement and the Jesus People (hint - hint), has been burning (and having earthquakes) since before the Spanish arrived and the only people there were Native Peoples.

Was God punishing the Indians?
I am wondering if believers in Christ would know when God was acting against the country because of our moral status.

Not concerned with the Indians from centuries past...

Old 05-21-2014, 03:01 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,762,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
2Co 5:19 how that God was in Christ, conciliating the world to Himself, not reckoning their offenses to them, and placing in us the word of the conciliation."

God is at peace with the world and has been for the last 2000 years and has not been reckoning their offenses to them.
So, you think!

Old 05-21-2014, 03:09 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
So, you think!
I believe so and as the Father sent Jesus he sends us too with a message of peace and reconciliation. With a message of beauty for ashes, joy for mourning, and a garment of praise for those who are faint. I suppose it falls down to how you view the world in how you respond to it. If you believe it needs saving you will save it, if you believe it needs to be sent to hell without mercy you will do so.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:09 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Usually this is mentioned when the homosexual agenda advances in our culture... however is not not mentioned when the rich get away with breaking the law, or when the government let's crime slide without punishment to certain people.

But on occasion someone will remark about the moral decline and corruption of the country.

Here's my question. Will we know when God has had enough? And what will those signs be?

I remember when Hurricane Katrina was occurring - some would suggest God's punishment - people said they were crazy.

You can even go back to 9/11 and the WTC - would anyone consider that as punishment from God?

How about the economy? Many people out of work... the government mismanages the money it gets and has the country in extreme debt... higher prices for necessities...

Deuteronomy 28 lists a bunch of curses that would occur if Israel did not follow the Lord. I know we are not Israel - but it would seem foolish to think that some of those predictions would not happen here upon us not following the Lord. And if the Lord did act, there are plenty of worldly excuses to overlook God's hand - global warming, the world hates us so they attacked, it's the Republicans fault or the Dems, etc.

I understand that the world won't understand - but will Christians see God's hand in these events? OR is it God removing His protection from us so that we self destruct on our own? OR do we simply echo the world's reasoning?
Read Matthew 14 and 2 Tim 3 oh and rev 11:18.

Man is doing it, under Satan's guidance and God is simply allowing it for a time and then it will end.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I believe so and as the Father sent Jesus he sends us too with a message of peace and reconciliation. With a message of beauty for ashes, joy for mourning, and a garment of praise for those who are faint. I suppose it falls down to how you view the world in how you respond to it. If you believe it needs saving you will save it, if you believe it needs to be sent to hell without mercy you will do so.
Someone cut Revelation out of your Bibles... at least Chapter 4 and beyond.

I think you guys are way off. Please don't hijack the thread with the "all are saved" mantra. There are plenty of other threads for that.

I am asking a specific question.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Moral collapse......

Let's see...... you can donate to charity by putting your spare change in a jar at the check out register when you do your weekly grocery shopping. People went IN to the WTC and Pentagon on 9/11 to save the lives of total strangers. People, when they see a house is burning, pound on the door to make sure no one burns to death in their beds. Then they dial 911 and grab a hose to do what they can until the fire department gets there. People adopt kids they don't know to give them a good home. The U.S. Postal Service just had a food drive. You can also donate food at any Walmart. (In case you've never noticed the box is usually right there at the exit/entrance by the video rental booth and the claw/toy machine.) People donate blood so people they will never meet will survive an operation. People donate their time to coach Little League. NFL players go to Africa to build schools (which they fund). People buy coffee for the homeless guy they see every morning on their way to the subway. A tornado hits Anyplace U.S.A and people get in their trucks and drive all night to help people clean up the mess. And rebuild.

Shall I go on?

And you think God is going to send death and destruction because this country is immoral? Really?

Whoa. That's some religion you've got there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.