Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:00 PM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I like two things, some of which appear in other Gospels, but all of t=which appear in Matthew:
The two great commandments: 1) Love God, Love your neighbor as your self and 2) whatever you do to these, the least of My brethren you do to ME!
Funny how so many so called Christians run from these ...
Amen!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 02:36 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,931,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What are you humming?

Yes, it's a fad, at least the term is. Do you think anyone in the nearly-2000 years of Christianity before maybe the 1980s or 1990s went around shrieking that Jesus was their personal savior? The term might have had some impact the first time it was used, I suppose, but then when these little catch-phrases become overused, they sound silly and demean the very point they were first intended to make.

Think of "born-again Christian", a term that became popular in the mid-70s. Now it just sounds dated and well, stuck in the Seventies.

I guess I'm just not into "pop Christianity", or, as our poster cpg#### calls it, "The Church of What's Happenin' Now".

- Well said.

'Born Again Christian' (?) Sure, Born Again Of Christianity. Through Many Denominations! LOL

- But Instead: "Born Again Of Water And The Spirit". "Born Of The Spirit Is Spirit" - John 3:3-7

No one is suppose to be A Born AGAIN Christian!

So being, A Born Again Spirit would be more correct I'd think.
But this proves no denominational affiliation to credit!

Old 05-26-2014, 05:44 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen!!!
And a double Amen from me.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:50 AM

1,382 posts, read 767,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
When a Christian preacher tells people unless one believes and accepts the Lord Jesus as his personal savior he cannot be part of His body, the preacher is in fact telling non-Christians they are not part of the body of Christ. And if not part of His body, what then?

Our Savior says, separate from him man can do NOTHING:

NAS John 15:5 "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me, and I in him, he bears much fruit; for apart from Me you can do nothing.

So if man can do NOTHING while separate from Christ, how can he do the good acts of believing and accepting the Lord?

NAS Jeremiah 13:23 "Can the Ethiopian change his skin Or the leopard his spots? Then you also can do good Who are accustomed to doing evil.

If a person CAN believe and accept the Lord, isn't that proof he is already part of the body of Christ?
Dear MO,
Your position seems to be on par with the virgins who went to the wedding feast and found out they couldn't get in because they didn't have oil for their lamps (Mt 25:11-12)

The demons "believe" "and shudder". (James 2:19)

The "false prophet" of Mt 7:15-23 says he prophesized in his name and performed many miracles, but Yeshua said he will tell the miracle worker, who called on the Lord, that "I never knew you".

It is possible that without the oil, one does not enter into the kingdom of heaven, and as shown by Yeshua in Mt 7:14, "few are those who find it"? One must seek the Lord while he may be found Isaiah 55:6. Making falsehoods and deceptions a refuge, is a bad choice.

There is good fruit and bad fruit. The tree with the bad fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire (Mt 7:19). As shown in Mt 7:23, it is not enough to call on the "Lord". The poor guy who was given and Talent, and hid it under a rock, was "cast out into the outer darkness" Mt 25:29-30.

Isaiah 28:15-18
15Because you have said, “We have made a covenant with death,
And with Sheol we have made a pact.
The overwhelming scourge will not reach us when it passes by,
For we have made falsehood our refuge and we have concealed ourselves with deception.”

16Therefore thus says the Lord G[SIZE=1]OD[/SIZE],
“Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a tested stone,
A costly cornerstone for the foundation, firmly placed.
He who believes in it will not be disturbed.
17“I will make justice the measuring line
And righteousness the level;
Then hail will sweep away the refuge of lies
And the waters will overflow the secret place. 18“Your covenant with death will be canceled,
And your pact with Sheol will not stand;
When the overwhelming scourge passes through,
Then you become its trampling place.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:07 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
So if man can do NOTHING while separate from Christ, how can he do the good acts of believing and accepting the Lord?
I think that's what the OP was getting at, and it's an interesting question - here's what I believe scripture teaches...

A lost person is actually using the faith given him/her when accepting Christ as their Savior - you'll notice each one of us has been given a measure of faith to use, and one person doesn't have more faith than the other:

Quote:
...God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. (Rom 12:3)
So the unbeliever is actually calling that which is not as though it were! (Rom 4:17) Good job, welcome to the family of God!

Old 05-26-2014, 04:35 PM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
Dear MO,
Your position seems to be on par with the virgins who went to the wedding feast and found out they couldn't get in because they didn't have oil for their lamps (Mt 25:11-12)
The oil that is missing from far too many Christian lamps is agape love!!! I promise you . . . if you do NOT have it . . . you are NOT "born of God" and you do NOT know God and His Son. It will not matter one iota what you claim to believe or who you claim to associate with or what rituals you have performed.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
All of them. The complete NT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity