Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:45 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Only to you are they irrelevant ... for others they will once again hear that desire to want to know the purpose of why God does something is not any of our business.
Unless it is revealed - and that is what Paul said - the purpose is spelled out right there in the text - it is not a mystery - oh Vey!

Quote:
God does not give an account of himself as to the purpose of doing something.
All that we are to do is to be content that election is done as was stated earlier by a different poster:
... "according to his own purpose and grace"
Of course he does or so the writers of the bible say since they are writing under inspiration of the HS. Again, the bible gives the purpose - there is no need to assume or guess or act as if you are intruding upon some holy knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 03:54 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,058,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josaleah View Post
I clearly see election in the Bible, but is the purpose of election?
As a Universalist, I struggled with that issue at first and dug deeper because it didn't make much sense to me.

What I learned is that there is a parrellel of the Old Covenant to the new covenant. In other words, in the Old Covenant God chose a People - Israel, however, He had to purify them and therefore CHOSE the tribe of Levi to do that. That tribe became the levitcal priesthood that managed the Temple and provided mission for the sacrifices and atonements.

Under the New Covenant, God has shown that the calling is to ALL and He has chosen some at this time (those in Christ) to be Priests and rule with Him over the remainder when He comes to remove their sins.

So the few that are chosen are just a few (those in Christ) OF THE ALL (those not in Christ). Hope that helps.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:58 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,058,044 times
Quote:
Thank you for responding.
1 Peter 1:5 says: who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be REVEALED in the last time.

Could this be the same revealing that the creation eagerly awaits in Romans 8? The revealing of the sons of God? The elect?
Romans 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. Verse 21 says: because the creation itself will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

Could this be giving us some insight on the purpose of election? A purpose that includes the deliverance of creation from bondage? I would love some more insight!

God bless you all!!!
Yes, it is shedding light on it. As I stated in my last post, the purpose is to stand up a Priesthood that will administer to the rest at the appearing of the Lord at the end of this age and the start of the next age of his rule. At that time these priests will be in rule with Him to assist in the removal of sin from sinners. Basically to atone the rest of mankind.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:14 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,488,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Yes, it is shedding light on it. As I stated in my last post, the purpose is to stand up a Priesthood that will administer to the rest at the appearing of the Lord at the end of this age and the start of the next age of his rule. At that time these priests will be in rule with Him to assist in the removal of sin from sinners. Basically to atone the rest of mankind.
Exactly!! Joy in the morning. It is so good to see a few that actually read the Bible,

Old 06-24-2014, 04:35 PM

30 posts, read 21,352 times
Quote:
The elect or the chosen are only the most heartless and uncaring from each family. These will be the ones selected to take their mothers and fathers and sons and daughters who have already been burning in the fires of hell and have been resurrected to face a kangaroo court in which they have already been judged "guilty". Following a mock trial, these elect will fling their kin once again into a fiery hell dubbed 'the lake of fire". These elect were especially selected so as to feel no compassion for their doomed kin but laugh gleefully whenever a fat one's flesh sizzles and pops. Isn't that what you've been taught?
Wow, Human! I so relate with what you said! If we are being honest, that is the logical end of the teaching of election that I see in the church? But, what if election isn't that at all? What if the elect are the ones who have been called for a grand and glorious purpose? For the purpose of co-reigning with Christ in the restoration of all creation? My Bible tells me that all creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God! Why? Because the creation itself ALSO will be delivered from the bondage of corruption! I used to live in so much bondage and fear but God is setting me free! Your post revealed to me that you have a merciful heart! Our God delights in showing mercy! Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy!

Old 06-24-2014, 04:42 PM

[QUOTEYes, it is shedding light on it. As I stated in my last post, the purpose is to stand up a Priesthood that will administer to the rest at the appearing of the Lord at the end of this age and the start of the next age of his rule. At that time these priests will be in rule with Him to assist in the removal of sin from sinners. Basically to atone the rest of mankind.][/quote]

Hallelujah!!! This is what I am seeing as well! Thank you for sharing that!

Old 06-24-2014, 05:12 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,488,053 times
Quote:
Wow, Human! I so relate with what you said! If we are being honest, that is the logical end of the teaching of election that I see in the church? But, what if election isn't that at all? What if the elect are the ones who have been called for a grand and glorious purpose? For the purpose of co-reigning with Christ in the restoration of all creation? My Bible tells me that all creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God! Why? Because the creation itself ALSO will be delivered from the bondage of corruption! I used to live in so much bondage and fear but God is setting me free! Your post revealed to me that you have a merciful heart! Our God delights in showing mercy! Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy!
You have your arms around it. I was only pulling on the legs of all those "Christians" who go around claiming to worship a heartless and uncaring murdering and unjust God. That is what most churches teach and shout from the pulpit each and every Sunday. May God forgive them for the bad press they heap upon Him.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:33 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,496,052 times
Many are called, but few are selected to teach the rest of humanity; for few be it that overcome the false teachings of men.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Many are called, but few are selected to teach the rest of humanity; for few be it that overcome the false teachings of men.
Interesting point.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:13 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,670,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
The elect or the chosen are only the most heartless and uncaring from each family. These will be the ones selected to take their mothers and fathers and sons and daughters who have already been burning in the fires of hell and have been resurrected to face a kangaroo court in which they have already been judged "guilty". Following a mock trial, these elect will fling their kin once again into a fiery hell dubbed 'the lake of fire". These elect were especially selected so as to feel no compassion for their doomed kin but laugh gleefully whenever a fat one's flesh sizzles and pops. Isn't that what you've been taught?
no, thats not right.. first no person in heaven is going to do that task of flinging people into hell as you described.

secondly, there will be no more tears in heaven, so this scenario as you described wont happen. I dont know if we will have more knowledge of how God does things, or what.

And God does not take pleasure in the unrighteous going to hell. thats why Jesus went thru all he did so that people will not go there.

if someone refuses God's grace, they have no one to blame as they have been warned and told how to avoid hell. Including right here, so you have no excuse now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity