Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:07 AM

33,360 posts, read 26,617,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Being double tongued is okay in your book?...I become all things to all people so that I might save some, to the drunkard, a drunkard, to the homosexual, a homosexual, to the murderer, a murderer, to the pedophile, a pedophile, to the cereal killer, I become as a cereal killer, all that I might save some...And this line of thinking is not deceptive to you?...Are you telling me that Paul was the first undercover agent in history?...One does not jump into shark infested waters to save a person, they throw that person a life preserver with a rope tied to it in order to pull that person to safety...Just as one is told to shake the dust off of one's feet and move on, not to pretend that you are one of them...
1 Corinthians 9:20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21] to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. 22] To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some.

You don't understand and are therefore distorting what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 9:20-22. He was simply referring to his differing approaches to Jews and Gentiles, and to the weak, in order to gain a hearing for the gospel message. 'To those are without law' is a reference to the Gentiles. He did not become as a drunk, or a murderer, or the other things you listed.
9:22. In his references to Jews and Gentiles in the preceding verses, Paul explained his voluntary restraint of freedom in order to reach unbelievers with the gospel. Some suggest that the weak in this verse refers to Jews and Gentiles together in a state of unbelief and so was intended to summarize Paul's previously stated convictions (cf. Rom. 5:6 where ''the weak'' are also called ''the ungodly''). It is more likely, however, that Paul was referring explicitly to the weak Corinthians described in 1 Corinthians 8:9-11 (cf. Jew, Greeks, and the church of God in 10:32). His concern to win them was not in the preliminary sense of justification as in the case of unbelieving Jews and Gentiles (9:20-21) but to win the Corinthians in terms of sanctification and maturity in Christ (cf. Matt. 18:15) --- and so to save them for God's ongoing work in their lives (cf. 1 Cor. 5:5; 8:11). Paul's condescension to the scruples and customs of all men (cf. ''everyone'' in 9:19) found application on a momentary case-by-case basis since it would be impossible to satisfy simultaneously the penchants of both Jews and Gentiles alike.

[The Bible Knowledge Commentary, New Testament, An Exposition of the Scriptures by Dallas Seminary Faculty, pp. 524-525]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,528,038 times
Quote:
Being double tongued is okay in your book?...I become all things to all people so that I might save some, to the drunkard, a drunkard, to the homosexual, a homosexual, to the murderer, a murderer, to the pedophile, a pedophile, to the cereal killer, I become as a cereal killer, all that I might save some...And this line of thinking is not deceptive to you?...Are you telling me that Paul was the first undercover agent in history?...One does not jump into shark infested waters to save a person, they throw that person a life preserver with a rope tied to it in order to pull that person to safety...Just as one is told to shake the dust off of one's feet and move on, not to pretend that you are one of them...
For you to conclude that then we too must reiterate the same condolences
You are just a poor child that doesn't realize that you've been led astray...I feel so sad for you...

Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 AM

33,360 posts, read 26,617,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Paul never compromised the gospel message which is salvation by grace through faith, and not by works, whether speaking to the Jews or to the Gentiles. He was never dishonest about what he represented. While not under the law, when trying to gain a hearing with the Jews Paul was willing to subject himself to the scruples of the Jews as in Acts 21:20-24.
Quote:
Mark 10:
17 And as he is going forth into the way, one having run and having kneeled to him, was questioning him, `Good teacher, what may I do, that life age-during I may inherit?'

*18* And Jesus said to him, `Why me dost thou call good? no one is good except One--God;

*19* the commands thou hast known: Thou mayest not commit adultery, Thou mayest do no murder, Thou mayest not steal, Thou mayest not bear false witness, Thou mayest not defraud, Honour thy father and mother.'

*20* And he answering said to him, `Teacher, all these did I keep from my youth.'

*21* And Jesus having looked upon him, did love him, and said to him, `One thing thou dost lack; go away, whatever thou hast--sell, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven, and come, be following me, having taken up the cross.'

Luke 18:
*19* And Jesus said to him, `Why me dost thou call good? no one is good, except One--God;

*20* the commands thou hast known: Thou mayest not commit adultery, Thou mayest do no murder, Thou mayest not steal, Thou mayest not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.'

*21* And he said, `All these I did keep from my youth;'

*22* and having heard these things, Jesus said to him, `Yet one thing to thee is lacking; all things--as many as thou hast--sell, and distribute to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven, and come, be following me;'
Jesus was replying to someone who thought that He must keep the law to be saved, and so told him what he had to do under the law to be saved. But no one can keep the law perfectly and so no one can be saved by trying to keep the law.

As recorded in John 6:27-29, Jesus corrected the crowd who thought there were works of God that they could do to be saved by telling them that there was only one thing they could do to be saved. And that one thing was to believe in Him.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,966,428 times
That whole perception about Paul lying is worked up from his simple statement that in order to see how the Gospel impacted different ethnic and religious backgrounds, he put himself into each groups shoes; looked at the message and explained it the way they would bes understand it. One of the worst things anyone can do is go looking for faults and manufacture them where there is none.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:51 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,393,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
That whole perception about Paul lying is worked up from his simple statement that in order to see how the Gospel impacted different ethnic and religious backgrounds, he put himself into each groups shoes; looked at the message and explained it the way they would bes understand it. One of the worst things anyone can do is go looking for faults and manufacture them where there is none.
Yes, like when he was in Athens

“The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. 25And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’b As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:08 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,437,340 times
Quote:
to the cereal killer, I become as a cereal killer,

(I love it that I'm not the only one who gets words mixed up sometimes when posting on here. )

Old 06-29-2014, 03:24 PM

64,017 posts, read 40,319,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen, Warden. It is all too easy to become depressed beyond reason when you have been told from an early age that all your normal feelings and desires . . . not to mention foibles and failings . . . are "filthy rags" and you are a pathetic wretch deserving of eternal torment if you don't reject them and believe whatever nonsense the flavor is of the religion you are raised in. Religions have a heavy burden and a lot to account for. Christ would NEVER have wanted the evil, condemning, intolerant nonsense that passes for religion today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Wasn't it Jesus who said this:
Cite the source and I will answer. But the simplest way for you to test whether or not anything was actually from Jesus or God is to test it against the Spirit of agape love. If in your heart of hearts you think it is agape loving . . . then it is of God. If NOT . . . it is neither from Jesus nor God. When you ask the Comforter to lead you to the truth and you sincerely question your heart (without imposing what you THINK you are supposed to believe from the "precepts and doctrines of men") . . . what does your heart tell you about the passage? Is it agape loving?

Old 06-29-2014, 04:03 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,437,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I will not share what actually happened, but a family member of mine did something to me just over 2 weeks that you would be astounded if i told you. I am neither waiting for him to say sorry nor am i treating him like a pagan or tax collector, i have no hard feelings whatsoever. If i can walk in unconditional forgiveness towards another how much more can our Heavenly Father?.
Sounds like Jesus was giving people instructions that he knew would be necessary to restore peace when they let an unwillingness to forgive get the best of them. Sort of like he said Moses had done when Moses told people how to get divorced in a way that made the best of a bad situation.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:08 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,966,428 times
We are all aware that actions have consequences and have said so more than once. That we shpuld let someone know that what they did is wrong may be our part, how it is done and for what reason is what should be discussed. Free rides are not consistent with agape and consequences should be learning experiences.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:27 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,393,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Sounds like Jesus was giving people instructions that he knew would be necessary to restore peace when they let an unwillingness to forgive get the best of them. Sort of like he said Moses had done when Moses told people how to get divorced in a way that made the best of a bad situation.
Pleroo, i promise you that was the first thing that came to mind having read that portion of scripture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity