Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:47 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,531,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Paul's words here only apply to actual Christians, not fake Christians, that is: Those who claim to believe but really do not. They have already fallen, or never believed in the first place.

Thrillobite: How sad but true, that so many seminaries in the USA do teach their students that the Bible is not really God's word. I feel especially blessed by God that He has kept me in the one true faith and showed me, through my education and my own studies that the Bible is God's inerrant word. Remember, even the Bible teaches that the Bible is a closed book and not understandable by those who don't believe and do not have the Holy Spirit. 1Cornth Chapter 4.
augie, though we're doctrinally world's apart on some issues, thankfully Bible inerrancy is not one of them. Both of us as pastors can appreciate what we've been taught and what we've learned. As I reach a point in my career of service where I can now look back and not just forward, there is nothing I'd rather have been asked to do with my life. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 09:58 AM

63,891 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
P
Thrillobite: How sad but true, that so many seminaries in the USA do teach their students that the Bible is not really God's word.
That is because for those who do not put their head in the sand and ignore reality . . . the Bible is NOT God's word . . . Christ IS and He abides with us so we do not need anyone to teach us or pretend that they know what God wants from us. I realize that for those who have presumed to become teachers about God that can be quite disconcerting and perhaps even threatening. C'est la vie.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:35 AM

217 posts, read 146,740 times
Also, I'm obliged to point out the 100% truth that the Bible never claims to be the literal word of God.

Yes, I'm included 2 Timothy 3:16 in that.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:28 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,608,571 times
If your issue is that people commit suicide and if the Word of God were true per that scripture, then that person would not have committed suicide.

I cant even begin to be able to judge that like you have, OP. So many factors go into people making decisions, with their free will, that I cannot even begin to be able to judge.

Secondly, Paul did not write the bible, The Bible was written by the Holy Spirit (thru the penmanship of a person of course, who had to record what the Holy Spirit said, because Paul was the vehicle the Holy Spirit used to record it.

The bible provides everything God wants us to know. If we live by it, we will have the consequences of it. Nowhere is life guaranteed.. nowhere is happiness guaranteed, tribulation is guaranteed, and pain, and sin abounding in the world. Even jesus while on the earth, and all the horrible Romans running the place, jesus did not stop them. Jesus came to bring salvation. So because there is tribulation, sin, troubles, trials, etc. the person chose to react to the words in the Bible in that way. I do not know if the bible says that people who have committed suicide are lost in hell. I cannot say where that person went. I can only guess.

so you have a lot that the Bible DOES promise and even that is ignored. We are not robots, God doesn't force us to live if we choose death. He does promise that thru tribulations we will be kept safe.

Then again, you have many people who believe they are Christians and they feel they are entitled to the promises in the bible, but perhaps they were not truly saved. then the promise of God keeping us may not apply to that person, and they followed the consequence of using their free will to die.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:16 PM

217 posts, read 146,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post

Secondly, Paul did not write the bible, The Bible was written by the Holy Spirit (thru the penmanship of a person of course, who had to record what the Holy Spirit said, because Paul was the vehicle the Holy Spirit used to record it.
Paul did not even write all the letters attributed to him in the Bible. Only 7 of his letters are not disputed to be by him.

And the Bible never states the Holy Spirit wrote the Bible, let alone how it possessed people and wrote it itself.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,151,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comm08 Paul did not even write all the letters attributed to him in the Bible. Only 7 of his letters are not disputed to be by him.

Modern day scholars may dispute the authenticity of Paul's letters for various reasons but the early Christians who lived what they believed and risked their lives to follow in the teachings of Jesus and his apostles did not.

The Chester Beatty Papyrus contains just about all of the text of Paul's letters. The significance of this papyrus is not lost on Christians because it shows that very early in the history of Christianity Paul's letters were in circulation among believers. This also includes the epistle to the Hebrews which is in dispute as to authorship by modern day scholars but apparently not by early Christians.

Another significant manuscript is the Muratorian Fragment. Very early in the history of Christianity there is confirmation of not only the majority of what we know as the New Testament or Christian Greek Scriptures but notes on its authors as well. This also includes Paul's letters to the Corinthians, Ephesians, Colossians, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comm08 And the Bible never states the Holy Spirit wrote the Bible, let alone how it possessed people and wrote it itself.
At times when it was crucial to convey an idea or thought with exact words God directed the human writer word for word. Most times he conveyed his thought(s) and allowed the human writer to express such thought or thoughts with his own words. Either way it was inspired.

It's not a stretch to think how an omnipotent being guides the minds and hearts of men to write his thoughts.

To illustrate, in the medical field physicians in hospitals have dictation rooms where they dictate their "thoughts" which a medical transcriptionist then puts into written form. This is human to human. If we accept an omnipotent being( some do, some don't) this would not present a problem.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:35 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,074,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Whether a way is provided or not is not necessarily indicated by whether one is taken. How many headlines read, "Pastor decides not to commit suicide?"
So then it's indistinguishable from not being true. Still, I don't see why decisions would ever be too constricted in this reality that one wouldn't be able to maneuver away from bad temptations; Regardless of whether any Heavenly beings do anything for someone or set anything up.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:05 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,936,645 times
Paul's word, is not God's word.
Jesus IS God's word John 1;
False statements that the church has been propagating for years, that ever single thing in the bible is God's word, has done more damage than good.
There are literally volumes of stories and personal comments men have included in the texts, that plainly are not God's instruction what so ever, and I don't need to list them.
Paul's teaching reflects a man that has not repented but created a gospel all his own, not in any parallel with Jesus teaching, actually side lining Jesus teaching.
Even by the very fact men prefer the idea of Paul's definition of "grace" (God compromising with sin ) rather than accountability "God's thru-rough examination through and through, Jesus taught.
God does not compromise with sin.
Paul even leveled a threat on any one teaching another gospel other then his own. So for fear of Paul, some believers assumed him to be an authority. But not all , and not me .
Jesus is the final authority Matthew 7;21,22,23,
Jesus clearly told the disciples that the Holy Spirit was the only one He designated to teach in his place and specifically instructed the disciples NOT to be called; father , rabbi, or master , which Paul disregarded altogether and instructed oppositely . The commission of preaching Jesus gospel is notifying the world ,Jesus had provided the access to God via the Holy Spirit
so that one could be obedient, and not sin under the assumptions men made concerning God's will.
What the holy spirit teaches me, does not confirm Paul's teaching.
Review Paul's conversion on the road ; he does not bring with him, the testimony of those traveling with him.
He is an egocentric , every posting of Paul starts with himself .
By the way knowing and performing with the power of Jesus name does not certify obedience. Matthew 7;21,22,23,
Had Paul understood the value and been walking in obedience , 1 Corinthians 13; would have been about obedience not love.
By the fact that Paul's teaching are defended so adamantly , and Jesus teachings are ignored so freely by most preachers should tell you something.
Jesus said His gospel was to the whole world .Matthew 16;15,
How is it Paul believes his gospel supersedes Jesus gospel? Galatians 1;9,
Why is it many of the churches I visit seem more concerned with the academic and social among men, than the spiritual and the relationship with God.
Jesus gave no special regard to those wearing authority, in fact spoke harshly to and about them, yet Paul teaches the opposite ,that those in authority are ordained of God.
BTW God is a respecter of persons.
They that obey Him have His preference, over those that do not.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:39 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,327,329 times
If only we could understand that this great mysterious book called the bible serves one purpose, and that is to know God by Christ within us. It is neither the way, the truth or the life.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:35 PM

63,891 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
augie, though we're doctrinally world's apart on some issues, thankfully Bible inerrancy is not one of them. Both of us as pastors can appreciate what we've been taught and what we've learned. As I reach a point in my career of service where I can now look back and not just forward, there is nothing I'd rather have been asked to do with my life. God bless.
I find the acceptance of Bible inerrancy in the face of modern scholarship on the "sausage-making" of its selection and compilation to be the leading indicator of unreasoning credulity. It is difficult to take anyone seriously after such a proclamation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is because for those who do not put their head in the sand and ignore reality . . . the Bible is NOT God's word . . . Christ IS and He abides with us so we do not need anyone to teach us or pretend that they know what God wants from us. I realize that for those who have presumed to become teachers about God that can be quite disconcerting and perhaps even threatening. C'est la vie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comm08 View Post
Also, I'm obliged to point out the 100% truth that the Bible never claims to be the literal word of God.
Yes, I'm included 2 Timothy 3:16 in that.
Amen! But it seems not to bother the true believers in this man-made doctrine that has so egregiously warped and corrupted Christ's Gospel message and unambiguous example of agape love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity