Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 09:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times

Advertisements

Love does not acknowledge it self, rather it seeks out what it can do for that of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 09:51 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Are we really going to play count the verses with each other?

Colossians 3:12-14New International Version (NIV)

12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Hebrews 10:24 (King James Version)

24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

1 John 3:11 (King James Version)

11For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

1 John 4:7 (King James Version)

7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

John 17:3 (King James Version)

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

1 John 4:11-12 (King James Version)

11Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
12No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

1 John 4:21 (King James Version)

21And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

John 13:34 (King James Version)

34A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 15:9-10 (King James Version)

9As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 15:12 (King James Version)

12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

John 15:17 (King James Version)

17These things I command you, that ye love one another.

1 John 3:23 (King James Version)

23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
There is nothing there that describes the love Jesus spoke of.

I showed you the kind of love He wants but you choose to ignore it.

Jesus loved others by telling them the word of God. The word of God is life and I lay my life down every day just as Jesus did.

"There is no greater love than to lay down your life for your friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you."

See , obedience, again, is what He wants.

Last edited by Peacegiver; 07-01-2014 at 10:29 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 10:37 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Are we really going to play count the verses with each other?

Colossians 3:12-14New International Version (NIV)

12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Hebrews 10:24 (King James Version)

24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

1 John 3:11 (King James Version)

11For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

1 John 4:7 (King James Version)

7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

John 17:3 (King James Version)

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

1 John 4:11-12 (King James Version)

11Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
12No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

1 John 4:21 (King James Version)

21And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

John 13:34 (King James Version)

34A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 15:9-10 (King James Version)

9As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 15:12 (King James Version)

12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

John 15:17 (King James Version)

17These things I command you, that ye love one another.

1 John 3:23 (King James Version)

23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
There is nothing there that describes the love Jesus spoke of.
If I thoght you were not aware of 1Cor 13 or Galatians 5 or the Sermon on the mount I would have posted them. ! Cor 13 summarizes what love IS:

1 Corinthians 13 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

13 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13 But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:51 PM

8,168 posts, read 6,921,471 times
Quote:
Even Athiest love others with her so called agape love. That is not what will make others think you are a disciple of the son of man.

- why do you say "so called" agape love?
- Who is "her"?
- why would an atheist want others to think they are a "disciple of the son of man"?
-Still trying to understand why you say "EVEN"... "Even atheists love others.." ??

Old 07-02-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
If I thoght you were not aware of 1Cor 13 or Galatians 5 or the Sermon on the mount I would have posted them. ! Cor 13 summarizes what love IS:

1 Corinthians 13 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

13 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13 But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.
I am aware of what Paul said love is but I do not follow Paul or the Epistles. I follow the word of God from Jesus and those who came in the name of the Lord, the son of man.

Gods ways are not mans ways. His ways are far above mans ways. The love of God is with His prophets and His servants possess His mercy.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
- why do you say "so called" agape love?
- Who is "her"?
- why would an atheist want others to think they are a "disciple of the son of man"?
-Still trying to understand why you say "EVEN"... "Even atheists love others.." ??
Maybe I used the word "her" incorrectly but I was referring to Mystic. I think Mystic is a women but I could be wrong.

I didn't say Athiests would want people to think they follow the son of man but that they can have agape love just as a Christian can so that kind of love will not distinguish Christians from other faiths as Jesus said His followers would be known for their love for one another.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:01 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,047 times
Quote:
Some people take one commandment and turn it into a theology of it's own but neglect all the others. The first and greatest commandment is to love God as Jesus said. He said to abide or remain in His love not agape love. Never said it. He said, "Abide in my love. You will abide in my love if you keep my commandments just as I have kept my Father's commandments and live in His love. " He describes what the commandments are when He said that the Father commanded Him what to say. Those are the commandments. Whatever God told the son to say is what God commanded. Since the son is the truth, the word of God, then the commandments or what God commanded the son to say is the word of God. So to remain in His love is to remain or abide in the word of God as Jesus did by spreading it. That is why Jesus said His followers were sent into the world as He was sent with the same words and to continue in His word.

Reference;

"The Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to speak and since I know His commandment is eternal life what I say is spoken just as He instructed me."

"The man who hears my word puts it to use."

Can you abide in the love of Christ as He did ???
What were the original Greek words? Agape? Eros (probably not) Philios? Was there a different word coined in this context?

Have to start at the beginning.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:19 AM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
I am aware of what Paul said love is but I do not follow Paul or the Epistles. I follow the word of God from Jesus and those who came in the name of the Lord, the son of man.
Gods ways are not mans ways. His ways are far above mans ways. The love of God is with His prophets and His servants possess His mercy.
Right so we Obey just to Obey like good little unthinking robots . . . got it! What about the Sermon on the Mount then??

Old 07-02-2014, 10:23 AM

8,168 posts, read 6,921,471 times
Quote:
Maybe I used the word "her" incorrectly but I was referring to Mystic. I think Mystic is a women but I could be wrong.
Oh you were talking about Mystic? So, "his agape love". What do you mean by "his agape love" then. Why "his"?? Why not just "agape love"?

Quote:
I didn't say Athiests would want people to think they follow the son of man but that they can have agape love just as a Christian can so that kind of love will not distinguish Christians from other faiths as Jesus said His followers would be known for their love for one another.

Do you not believe that God is love?

Love stems from the root: the Creator.

If we are following the path of LOVE, we are following the Creator, whether we "profess to believe" or not. Atheists may take offense at that, I don't know. But since I DO believe in a Creator, it is the only logical conclusion I can arrive at.

Why "christians" would take offense at that, is totally beyond me.

IMHO...It isn't about division.
It isn't about "my side versus your side".
It isn't about "I'm a special chosen one and you're not."
It isn't about "non-believers versus believers"

It is about our spiritual maturity.
Maturing into LOVING BEINGS as our Creator's plan for EACH of us.

Each and every life lived is vital to the whole picture.

peacegiver, Your "obeying" is your path to walk. And I wish you peace on your path, but one day, you will be shown that God loves each and every single one of us. Our "labels" will flutter to the ground...

thank God.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:12 AM

348 posts, read 294,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Oh you were talking about Mystic? So, "his agape love". What do you mean by "his agape love" then. Why "his"?? Why not just "agape love"?

Do you not believe that God is love?

Love stems from the root: the Creator.

If we are following the path of LOVE, we are following the Creator, whether we "profess to believe" or not. Atheists may take offense at that, I don't know. But since I DO believe in a Creator, it is the only logical conclusion I can arrive at.

Why "christians" would take offense at that, is totally beyond me.

IMHO...It isn't about division.
It isn't about "my side versus your side".
It isn't about "I'm a special chosen one and you're not."
It isn't about "non-believers versus believers"

It is about our spiritual maturity.
Maturing into LOVING BEINGS as our Creator's plan for EACH of us.

Each and every life lived is vital to the whole picture.

peacegiver, Your "obeying" is your path to walk. And I wish you peace on your path, but one day, you will be shown that God loves each and every single one of us. Our "labels" will flutter to the ground...

thank God.
Yes but this is not a one on one conversation. There are clearly attempts being made to define Christianity, all would be true in area's of agape , although in defining the belief system there is an order within agape otherwise the light of discernment is truly avoided and the defining belief would truly produce the robot. The gentle directives are contained in the Word and example. So I'm not disagreeing although agape requires a foundation in keeping with emphasis where definitions are being introduced. Maybe I'm wrong or missing something but can't find where the frame for agape is being recognized in the faiths defining.

Last edited by Sophronius; 07-02-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity