Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 04:01 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,709,058 times

Advertisements

Barbara Walters recently criticized a Christmas card she received from the White House this year for featuring a seven-line scripture from the Bible.

http://blews.blogspot.com/2007/12/ba...residents.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 04:58 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,630,300 times
This surprises her, somehow, that she received a religious card from a president who has always been very clear about his beliefs? But, I'll bet she would have been miffed if she hadn't received a card from the White House, at all. Why can't she just say "thank you", and let it go at that? Merry Christmas, Barbara!

Old 12-18-2007, 07:21 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,085,773 times
I disappointed in the White House for sending her a card..

Old 12-18-2007, 07:26 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,912,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I disappointed in the White House for sending her a card..

Awesome

Old 12-18-2007, 07:32 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,481,433 times
Actually, I have to agree with the responses so far. I don't take offense at getting a Christmas card, and quite personally, I think I have lost a bit of respect for Ms. Walters for doing, in my opinion, what seemingly violates ethical journalism. Is it absolutely necessary for the media to take every little event and blow it up? I don't know what Ms. Walter's personal belief system is (I always assumed she was Jewish?) but it shouldn't really matter. I'd view it as a great complement that the President of the United States of America, no matter what I think of him as a leader, had the kind thought to send me such a card. It makes me also wonder how many other cards she's received from him in the past as well? It's been 7 years.... you mean to tell me that one of the greatest female journalists of this century (at least in the US) has never received a Christmas card?

You know what they say... If it smells like poo....

Old 12-18-2007, 07:47 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,565,472 times
Since when has the president EVER not claimed to be a christian? Just because you are president (a whole lot of people evidently wanted him knowing his religion convictions) doesn't mean you have to give up saying "Merry Christmas" with a line of scripture on it..I will give the man credit for not being ashamed to tell the world that he believes in God

Old 12-18-2007, 07:53 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,496,269 times
I watch The View and to say she criticized the card is not a fair statement.

I do think its inappropriate for the president to send OFFICIAL christmas cards that have a bible quote on them.

Anyone remember all that about seperation of church and state. You either have that seperation or you don't, you can't demand it when it works for you and then ignore it when you don't.

I don't think it was a politically sensetive thing for him to do.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:02 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,912,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I watch The View and to say she criticized the card is not a fair statement.

I do think its inappropriate for the president to send OFFICIAL christmas cards that have a bible quote on them.

Anyone remember all that about seperation of church and state. You either have that seperation or you don't, you can't demand it when it works for you and then ignore it when you don't.

I don't think it was a politically sensetive thing for him to do.
So when a person becomes President, they have to 'pretend' to not have any religious affiliation?

I understand separation of church and state in the political arena, but really this is a personal matter.

It almost seems that elected officials are supposed to relinquish their rights once they enter office.

I can't agree with that.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:07 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,304,784 times
Well, I don't know. It seems to me that if someone sends a Christmas card at all, Christmas IS a Christian holiday so... I don't really see objecting to sending a card with something religious on it. It seems a little bit ironic to say we can send a "Christmas Card" but it better not have anything to do with God or Jesus! Does that strike anyone else a little weird? (If the scripture referenced "the God of all creation" that's pretty inclusive of most people if they celebrate any "holy days" at all.)

Old 12-18-2007, 10:23 AM

8,009 posts, read 9,218,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
So when a person becomes President, they have to 'pretend' to not have any religious affiliation?

I understand separation of church and state in the political arena, but really this is a personal matter.

It almost seems that elected officials are supposed to relinquish their rights once they enter office.

I can't agree with that.
If its a personal manner, then if HE paid for the cards and their delivery and not the taxpayers than its ok. If he sent it as the President via tax payer money, I'd say it showed a lack of concern towards other religous and non religous groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity