Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:48 PM

109 posts, read 451,647 times

Advertisements

I really believe in her and how she is using her gift to help people, is this considered devil worship, or can this also be a woman practicing her God given gifts. Is it wrong for a christian to believe in her, as far as being a medium is concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 10:08 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,602 times
Totally of the devil! She smells like smoke!

Old 11-24-2007, 10:19 PM

174 posts, read 504,967 times
The Bible is clear, one cannot converse with the departed and the consultation with mediums is strictly forbidden. Saul sought out a medium and it ended tragically. She is conversing with the demonic which is feeding her lies to deceive people. It doesn't matter whether it offers succor, it is directly against God. The devil has created many religions and methodologies which can soothe and succor the lost, but at the end of the temporal is death.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:10 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,583 times
Like Marks and Scamp have said, it is from the devil, or Satan. Her power is not slight-of-hand magician tricks, it is real, and it is supernatural. The problem with it is that it is not from God. The devil is not a stupid little red guy with a pitchfork...he is, in fact, a fallen angel, who is much more intelligent than we are. He has untold millenia of experience and education to draw on...we have, at best, perhaps a 100 years (if we even live that long). Lisa, and others like her, (John Edward also comes to mind) are deceived...they really do believe they have a gift from God. And because they genuinely do believe in their gift, they fool literally thousands along with them.
Here's what is actually going on: The Bible makes it clear that we can't communicate with the dead. So...who then, is communicating all this precise information? How does the medium know? When the medium makes contact with the "dead person", and relates intimate personal information that "only the dead person", and the living person being spoken to, would know, it seems like the real deal. However, the "dead person" is not a person at all...it is a familiar spirit.
BibleGateway - Quick search: familiar spirit

We are commanded of God not to consult, or listen to, anyone with a familiar spirit (a medium)
A familiar spirit is simply an evil spirit who is familiar with the deceased person...who knows intimate personal facts and information about them, and is able to pass that information on to the medium. This is why the Bible says NOT to consult with mediums...because it is literally fraternizing and communicating with demons...and is the beginning of a downward path to destruction, spiritually speaking. The demons aren't going to jump out and say "hey...here we are...we're evil demons, and we're here to fool you and lie to you...". No...they will use the medium, to their advantage, and they manage to fool even some highly intelligent persons...even many Christians are fooled. Not everything that is supernatural is of the devil, but this one is...

Bud

Old 11-25-2007, 08:14 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,266,175 times
I have never heard of her, but this sort of practice is strictly forbidden in scripture as the other posters have said. Someone may think they have a "natural" gift from God, but it actually be of a demonic source.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:47 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Like Marks and Scamp have said, it is from the devil, or Satan. Her power is not slight-of-hand magician tricks, it is real, and it is supernatural. The problem with it is that it is not from God. The devil is not a stupid little red guy with a pitchfork...he is, in fact, a fallen angel, who is much more intelligent than we are. He has untold millenia of experience and education to draw on...we have, at best, perhaps a 100 years (if we even live that long). Lisa, and others like her, (John Edward also comes to mind) are deceived...they really do believe they have a gift from God. And because they genuinely do believe in their gift, they fool literally thousands along with them.
Here's what is actually going on: The Bible makes it clear that we can't communicate with the dead. So...who then, is communicating all this precise information? How does the medium know? When the medium makes contact with the "dead person", and relates intimate personal information that "only the dead person", and the living person being spoken to, would know, it seems like the real deal. However, the "dead person" is not a person at all...it is a familiar spirit.
BibleGateway - Quick search: familiar spirit

We are commanded of God not to consult, or listen to, anyone with a familiar spirit (a medium)
A familiar spirit is simply an evil spirit who is familiar with the deceased person...who knows intimate personal facts and information about them, and is able to pass that information on to the medium. This is why the Bible says NOT to consult with mediums...because it is literally fraternizing and communicating with demons...and is the beginning of a downward path to destruction, spiritually speaking. The demons aren't going to jump out and say "hey...here we are...we're evil demons, and we're here to fool you and lie to you...". No...they will use the medium, to their advantage, and they manage to fool even some highly intelligent persons...even many Christians are fooled. Not everything that is supernatural is of the devil, but this one is...

Bud
Couldn't have said it any better myself. Excellent post.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:04 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,459,746 times
WOW! Hers is a 'gift' that must run in Lisa's family! WOW!

Lisa Williams Medium and Clairvoyant (http://www.lisawilliamsmedium.com/personal.message/ - broken link)
//
My personal 'spiritual' journey has been an exciting and rewarding one. I had to go through many life-changing experiences to understand what my calling was in life. I certainly never thought that what my grandmother told me was going to come true!

My Grandmother, Frances Glazebrook was a renowned Medium and Clairvoyant in the UK. Frances used to work with Spirit, in the days where it was kept behind closed doors, it was never really spoken of and many people were afraid of it. She worked with people all over the world from people in authority, celebrities to business people, and spoke to hundreds of people in spiritual churches throughout the UK.
//

Anyone see "what's wrong with this picture"?

Old 11-25-2007, 10:20 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,505,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
WOW! Hers is a 'gift' that must run in Lisa's family! WOW!

Lisa Williams Medium and Clairvoyant (http://www.lisawilliamsmedium.com/personal.message/ - broken link)
//
My personal 'spiritual' journey has been an exciting and rewarding one. I had to go through many life-changing experiences to understand what my calling was in life. I certainly never thought that what my grandmother told me was going to come true!

My Grandmother, Frances Glazebrook was a renowned Medium and Clairvoyant in the UK. Frances used to work with Spirit, in the days where it was kept behind closed doors, it was never really spoken of and many people were afraid of it. She worked with people all over the world from people in authority, celebrities to business people, and spoke to hundreds of people in spiritual churches throughout the UK.
//

Anyone see "what's wrong with this picture"?
I wonder if people in authority follow her predictions..I would hate to think that the people in authority make their decisions based on "readings" from medioms

Old 11-25-2007, 10:35 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,442,384 times
I believe she has been given a gift from GOD. Nothing more nothing less. I do not believe it is evil in any way shape or form.
You can say that the devil works in mysterious ways, well so does GOD.
I think that he puts these people on earth to let us know there is an afterlife so we will continue the belief in heaven and such. To know our family members are looking out for us and are angels on our shoulders so to speak. But that is my opinion.

1 Corinthians, chapter 12

1: Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
2: Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.
3: Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
4: Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5: And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6: And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

7: But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8: For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9: To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10: To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11: But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every
man severally as he will.

12: For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
13: For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Last edited by Miborn; 11-25-2007 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-25-2007, 11:15 PM

174 posts, read 504,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I believe she has been given a gift from GOD. Nothing more nothing less. I do not believe it is evil in any way shape or form.
You can say that the devil works in mysterious ways, well so does GOD.
I think that he puts these people on earth to let us know there is an afterlife so we will continue the belief in heaven and such. To know our family members are looking out for us and are angels on our shoulders so to speak. But that is my opinion.
...and I believe that Hebrews 12:1 refers to our loved ones which still pray intercessory prayers for us. But why would you choose to directly ignore the biblical mandates against consulting mediums?

Leviticus 20:6 And the soul that turneth after such that have familiar spirits, and after wizards (male witches), to go a whoring after them, I will even set My face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.

That's pretty condemnatory of the people who would seek such a person.

Bud mentioned familiar spirits. The words, "familiar spirits" are from the Hebrew, "owb".... It refers to the sound that comes from a water skin bottle when air is escaping from it. When it was squeezed to see if water was present in it, air bubbles would rise to the surface and create an "owb" sound. Thus the term was applied to the medium, who would betray the demon by the words they emitted.

The demons would imitate the dead, and in doing so, promote the doctrines of demons. They make predictions that would serve the demons. They would draw away people to themselves. People with familiar spirits will give away the fact that spirits are within (possession), or at work from without (obsession).

So, for us as Christians to consult with such is an abomination to the Lord.

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 "There shall not be found among you, any one that...
is a charmer... a consulter of familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer......
For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord...”

Saul sought out a medium to talk with Samuel, a judgment fell upon Saul and the next day he and his sons died in battle. The main reason for this immediate judgment was his dealing with this familiar spirit.

There are other examples in the Scriptures, Manasseh 'dealt with a familiar spirit’... (II Kings 21:6), Josiah had the workers who had familiar spirits ‘put away’..(II Kings 23:24)

You have also very wrongly attributed 1 Corinthians 12.

Don't equally wrongly assume that to view such a display is harmless.

Leviticus 19:31 “Regard not them that have familiar spirits...”

“Regard’ comes from the Hebrew word, ‘panah’ meaning ‘to face, to turn and look at directly...” We are not to want to be in the presence of such ones that are being exploited of a familiar spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity