Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:45 AM

250 posts, read 219,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have no problem with people gathering. My issue is with a special building/room that was built for the purpose of a man to stand in front of a pulpit speaking to a congregation about God. Teaching them what God is all about. That is wrong and I have always felt it ever since I was a child.
I agree that often too much is put into the building. But to have a place to meet does not seem wrong to me. Without a place to meet you would not meet in a place. Having a place for someone to stand and address others does not seem wrong to me either. If you consider that a special place or a holy place then it's wrong. Jesus and all the Apostles addressed others. It's they way we communicate in a group. One speaking at a time. Often only one. I know there are some groups that have several speakers or a different speaker each time they meet. And of course, there are those who choose to have one speaker all the time. But I believe in most cases that is the decision of the group as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 07:58 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,880,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith_Plus_Nothing View Post
I agree that often too much is put into the building. But to have a place to meet does not seem wrong to me. Without a place to meet you would not meet in a place. Having a place for someone to stand and address others does not seem wrong to me either. If you consider that a special place or a holy place then it's wrong. Jesus and all the Apostles addressed others. It's they way we communicate in a group. One speaking at a time. Often only one. I know there are some groups that have several speakers or a different speaker each time they meet. And of course, there are those who choose to have one speaker all the time. But I believe in most cases that is the decision of the group as a whole.
I guess my issue relates to the forcing of children to do this. When I was a kid we had both Sunday school and church each week. I really hated it. It's also a very long time. I think sermons in general are too long and put too much emphasis on one man. Yes, it does say that we are to gather together, but it doesn't say anything about selecting a special man to teach the others.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:09 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,196,220 times
In truth, you'll be looking forever if you seek a church that aligns 100% with your beliefs. Despite there only being 138,000 words in the New Testament, there are something like 35,000 denominations in the United States alone, if you count the non-denominationals. And every single one of them was founded by someone who didn't agree with the other 34,999.

Then again, it's really an act of egotism, spiritual vanity if you will, to seek total agreement for the absolute truth of matters is really unknowable. Instead, all we can do is read the Gospels and provide our best guess, conscientiously arrived at through reflection. So what you should be seeking is a church that makes such an approach possible, instead of boasting that they speak the absolute truth.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I guess my issue relates to the forcing of children to do this. When I was a kid we had both Sunday school and church each week. I really hated it. It's also a very long time. I think sermons in general are too long and put too much emphasis on one man. Yes, it does say that we are to gather together, but it doesn't say anything about selecting a special man to teach the others.
Matthew 5:1 Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2 and he began to teach them.

Rom 10:14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?

Acts 20:7 On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.

I think their is some support for having one speaker and sometimes even going for a long time.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:20 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,880,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith_Plus_Nothing View Post
Matthew 5:1 Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2 and he began to teach them.

Rom 10:14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?

I think their is some support for having one speaker and sometimes even going for a long time.
No, because Paul explains also in Romans how the pagans have understood God in their hearts, and how God will reward them according to that knowledge. He even explains how having the extra scriptural knowledge that Jews/Christians have can bring more judgement on the person if they do not follow it.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:24 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,934,911 times
The biggest problem in such cases is that so many church groups have required beliefs about God that have nothing to do with living in the Way Jesus taught. If you can forgive them for holding such views and work with them in mutual support of living in that Way, why should you hold such views against them, Don't ask, don't tell. If you would rather be absolutely open about not holding such doctrines and needing support and fellowship in spite of your difference you might have a problem. May I suggest you see if there is any kind of liberal Quaker Meeting in your area? They are generally open to differences of opinion in such matters.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
No, because Paul explains also in Romans how the pagans have understood God in their hearts, and how God will reward them according to that knowledge. He even explains how having the extra scriptural knowledge that Jews/Christians have can bring more judgement on the person if they do not follow it.
I was just showing how Jesus and Paul addressed a group and how Paul once went a long time. Not sure how your reply relates to what I was discussing. Are you saying we should not learn more about scripture so we won't be guilty of not following it?

Old 07-13-2014, 10:20 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,530,829 times
Quote:
I have heard so many good and kind-hearted Christians say that it is more important to go to church in order to fellowship with other believers in the community and just to share in each other's lives. Don't question every little thing. Just live in your own faith and be there for others.

But even though that sounds good, I can't get behind that idea.

Some of the kind hearted members even say that they don't agree with the judgemental views that are a part of the church's official doctrine, or the doctrine represented by its denomination.

How can you say that you should go to that church if you don't believe everything that is taught? Not only are you saying that you should go and support the other members, but you are also saying that you should financially support the preacher so that he can continue teaching and spreading a belief you disagree with. You are perpetuating a teaching that you don't agree with, which I think is too great a cost, even if you are giving loving Christian support to other members.

Does this make sense?
I agree with you, leave immediately.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:24 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I could never be a Muslim. As a Christian I am free to trim my nails any way I wish by the grace of God.

To OP: can you name any club, political party, workplace or charity you are a part of or support that you agree with 100%? I don't know anyone who attends a church that agrees 100% with what is taught. We are not mindless fools. We all attend churches which are right for us. Not perfect.

I can assure you that if I ever found the perfect church, it would be no longer perfect if I joined.
Laughed out loud. That was great.

Churches are composed of human beings; therefore, no church is ever going to be 100% "right". It doesn't matter.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:01 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,526,413 times
Default Seem like we have the same compassion and conviction

Quote:
I have heard so many good and kind-hearted Christians say that it is more important to go to church in order to fellowship with other believers in the community and just to share in each other's lives. Don't question every little thing. Just live in your own faith and be there for others.

But even though that sounds good, I can't get behind that idea.

Some of the kind hearted members even say that they don't agree with the judgemental views that are a part of the church's official doctrine, or the doctrine represented by its denomination.

How can you say that you should go to that church if you don't believe everything that is taught? Not only are you saying that you should go and support the other members, but you are also saying that you should financially support the preacher so that he can continue teaching and spreading a belief you disagree with. You are perpetuating a teaching that you don't agree with, which I think is too great a cost, even if you are giving loving Christian support to other members.

Does this make sense?
What is accomplished if we say the body of Christ is 500 faiths or 500 opinions about
Jesus Christ---Ephesians 4:5.

Fake unity just a good buddy meeting----Amos 3:3 and John 8:32.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity