Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 06:09 PM

432 posts, read 669,354 times

Advertisements

_
Quote:
in the KJV:

Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
Quote:
in the NIV:

10 “See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.

[11] [a]

Footnotes:

a. Matthew 18:11 Some manuscripts include here the words of Luke 19:10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 06:49 PM

432 posts, read 669,354 times
Default Matthew 23:14

_
Quote:
in the KJV:

13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
Quote:
in the NIV:

13 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.

[14] [b]

15 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.
Footnotes:

b. Matthew 23:14 Some manuscripts include here words similar to Mark 12:40 and Luke 20:47.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:57 PM

145 posts, read 116,174 times
Ted, I see you have posted some passages from the KJV and the NIV, I suppose to show they differ. Not sure what you point is with this but I have encountered those who like to show how the NIV "removes" things and they show passages like you did in an attempt to prove their point. However, this is a useless comparison due to the fact they are English translations of different text. One has nothing to do with the other. The NIV even shows where the text they are translating differs in many places such as the two you posted to make sure the reader is aware of the differing text.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:49 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,226 times
This thread serves to underscore my suspicion that people idolize, revere, and for all practical purposes, worship the BIBLE. Those who continue to do this will die in a state of confusion.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:46 AM

145 posts, read 116,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
This thread serves to underscore my suspicion that people idolize, revere, and for all practical purposes, worship the BIBLE. Those who continue to do this will die in a state of confusion.
That is the typical response of someone who objects to what scripture say's and is used to justify their rejection of it. Is this the case with you? I don't know. Only you can answer that.

By the way, I thought you were the "Heartsong" that has posted a lot in the past but I see this is a new name. You may find it confusing to have a user name almost identical to another person. I am surprised the forum would allow us to do that.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:33 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Believer View Post
That is the typical response of someone who objects to what scripture say's and is used to justify their rejection of it. Is this the case with you? I don't know. Only you can answer that.

By the way, I thought you were the "Heartsong" that has posted a lot in the past but I see this is a new name. You may find it confusing to have a user name almost identical to another person. I am surprised the forum would allow us to do that.
I'm the same Heartsong as the old one - but had to open a new account because I lost my password when I cleared the cookies from my browser. I announced when I first posted with the _ underscore in the name that I was the same 'Heartsong' now using 'Heart_Song".

I do object to some things in scripture, yes, and so did Jesus.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:43 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Believer View Post
It is a fabricated excuse, as I have never in my life met anyone who worships the Bible. Many respect it and many may disrespect it. Very telling as to a persons belief in God.

Last edited by expatCA; 08-11-2014 at 08:45 AM..

Old 08-11-2014, 07:44 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:

Jesus didn't object to what was written he clarified it, adding insight and of course exposing how some misused it. He did not change or reject any of it.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:59 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
I challenge you to provide some type of evidence for the underlined statement. An assertion with no evidence doesn't make it so.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:30 AM

201 posts, read 148,450 times
Quote:
I disagree. I say these folks will die with a grounding in Biblical principals and be guilty of studying to show themselves approved. I submit that it is those who do not revere and study their Bibles that will die in a state of confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity