Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 10:01 PM

10,122 posts, read 5,043,286 times

Advertisements

At Revelation 22 v 2 we see the returning of the Genesis tree of life for the curing or healing of earth's nations here on earth, so during Jesus' coming 1000-year kingdom reign over earth as Isaiah [ 33 v 24 ] wrote that > No one will say, "I am sick...."
The sick will be healthy as described at Isaiah chapter 35
Job looked forward to the time his flesh would be fresher than in youth at Job 33 v 25.
Since the earth abides forever - Ecclesiastes 1 v 4 B; Psalms 78 v 69; 93 v 1; 96 v 10; 104 v 5; 1st Chronicles 16 v 30; Jeremiah 10 vs 11,12
then when the humble meek inherit the earth forever - Psalm 37 vs 11,29 - then they will No longer be unhealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 10:06 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,795,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gousa14 View Post
I find it sad how there aren't many Christians with Aspergers. I think having Aspergers segregates me from the faith and the "popular" crowd. I try to assimilate with more normal or "relevant" people. I see that the whole "aspergers identity" thing promotes segregation more than combats it.
Even if God could cure that, why would you want to be "cured"? I have Asperger's and I love it. I wouldn't want to be "neurotypical" even if I could be.

I have read that most people with Asperger's are not Christian because they have reasoned that Christianity is untenable, illogical, and just plain false. I was Christian for a long time but I'm almost totally deconverted for this same reason. What was once blind faith on my part has been revealed to have been untenable, misplaced, illogical, and ridiculous.

But hey, you're one of the <0.4%. As another "Aspie" friend of mine told me when I received my diagnosis, life is good on this side of the fence. We have cookies.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,157,527 times
Well, this is a toughie because if you weren't on the autism spectrum (technically AS was eliminated as its own category last May), would you be the same person?

That's the subject of hot debate among many autism communities, but it's worth considering, at least.

My son is autistic (not AS; classic/Kanner autism) and I hope to heck he NEVER gets to the awareness point (he is also intellectually delayed) that he would wonder whether something that is basically a part of every single thing he says, does or thinks can be "cured." IOW that WHO he is is a defect.

Maybe you're not defective at all.

If you're "cured" of your AS in the afterlife, does that mean you'll no longer love the things you love and have the interests that you have? That's where the "would this still even me?" part comes in (in my view - obviously other people may not feel this way).

As a child, I always wished - and, yes, even prayed outright - that I would be "cured" of whatever was "making me so strange" and "making me so crazy" (to others). As an adult, at a parent intake interview with my son's neuropsych, having not yet said ONE WORD about my own past or my own current thoughts, activities, etc., the neuropsych pulled this out of the blue: "Have you ever been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome?" I was taken aback. For, like, one second. And then all in a flash, my prior 43 years (this was several years ago) rewound in my head to show me that, yes...that would absolutely make sense. And not just because a neuropsych would probably be on the lookout for a family history.

That was THE FIRST time I EVER questioned what would have happened if I had "been cured." Would I still absolutely love research? Would I still be fascinated with the intricate details of specific time periods and locales in history? Would I still love the documentaries I love? The books I love? Would I still have such a weird but apparently fascinating (to other people) sense of humor? Heck, would I even still look beyond the mundane, to wonder "what if" at every possible turn, about every possible subject?

Would I still be me?

I don't think I would. And you know what? It brings me to tears thinking about not having and being and doing all those things. I love them all! Not like...love.

Sorry, that's more philosophical than religious. I can't answer whether God will "cure" autism in the afterlife any more than I can answer whether he will "cure" me of green eyes or being five-foot-one. I think the general consensus is happiness and acceptance, rather than huge changes once you get to the afterlife, unless you're talking about physical (i.e. a blind person can suddenly see, an amputee suddenly has his leg back, etc. - which is actually sort of a weird belief since you're not supposed to be in a physical body any more in the afterlife, but oh well). I like to think (but I'm a dreamer and a little crazy, apparently) that if there's a "heaven" and if people are "made whole" there, the "made whole" part is more about everyone celebrating everyone else...not everybody being changed into Joe Perfect X per whatever our own current and cultural definition of that is.

Last edited by JerZ; 11-02-2014 at 12:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity