Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 05:31 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,891,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I don't understand post #15.
I explained it in my original post. Peter calls the flood a symbol for repentance/baptism. It's a theory but to me it's pretty plain and clear. More clear than trying to explain it in any way as a literal event.

But if you are looking at Noah's flood as a literal story then you won't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 09:48 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,821,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I explained it in my original post. Peter calls the flood a symbol for repentance/baptism. It's a theory but to me it's pretty plain and clear. More clear than trying to explain it in any way as a literal event.

But if you are looking at Noah's flood as a literal story then you won't understand.
It's clear he believed it was a real event. When he invokes symbolism, he compares baptism to what happened to Noah and his family. They were "baptized" through the flood.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times
Quote:
It's clear he believed it was a real event. When he invokes symbolism, he compares baptism to what happened to Noah and his family. They were "baptized" through the flood.
And all the other humans and animals and insects and plants were baptized to death.

Amen.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:32 AM

145 posts, read 116,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And all the other humans and animals and insects and plants were baptized to death.

Amen.
No, they were not saved through the flood. They were destroyed by it. Baptism does not kill.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Amen.
In other words, when one person is saved, then it must mean automatic bad news for other people around them.

Believing something like that, says a lot about the person who believes it. It explains a lot about popular religion. Religious people have always opposed science and progress, anything that might help other people who are not like them. In fact there are probably some religious people who relish the fact that their personal enemies are going to suffer horribly in some way. That's why God prefers these people, because they think this way.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:13 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Believer View Post
No, they were not saved through the flood. They were destroyed by it. Baptism does not kill.
You missed my point.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Believer View Post
Agreed.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
In other words, when one person is saved, then it must mean automatic bad news for other people around them.
Not true. We each have a choice to make. Noah preached repentance- no one listened.

Quote:
Believing something like that, says a lot about the person who believes it. It explains a lot about popular religion. Religious people have always opposed science and progress, anything that might help other people who are not like them. In fact there are probably some religious people who relish the fact that their personal enemies are going to suffer horribly in some way. That's why God prefers these people, because they think this way.
While there are people that say that, the fact is that Christians share their faith worldwide, with the hope of salvation for others.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Not true. We each have a choice to make. Noah preached repentance- no one listened.

While there are people that say that, the fact is that Christians share their faith worldwide, with the hope of salvation for others.
I have actually heard respected Christian leaders say that. That they sometimes had so much trouble convincing people to see things their way, (out in the workplaces etc) and that they were almost glad to think they might not be saved, out of frustration from not being able to convert them. So they had the attitude of, Why should I care about these heathens?

But I have never heard a non-Christian express such a horrible thought as that. It makes me think there is something inherently wrong morally with Christians sometimes.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:09 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,247,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I have a theory.

The Bible as a whole is a book of mythology, a book of wisdom., a book of history, a book of faith.

Once one is able to free one's self from the trap that everything in the Bible is literally true (and then having to search high and low from here and there to "prove" that it is, even though the contradictions are obvious) then one can revel in what the Bible offers in terms of insight into the human condition, and more importantly, one can properly focus on the Message of Jesus.

Of course, I have studied human culture worldwide, and my primary Professor was a Professor of Comparative Religion, so I have been able to discern what parts of the Bible are myth and which are not. Granted knowledge and wisdom, one can discern a LOT of the evolution of human thought over time.

Or one can remain stuck in the Middle Ages.
So well said. This takes intellectual integrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity