Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:48 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,398,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
As I see it, we are born into hell (this world). That is how Jesus descended into hell to free those shut up in prison as the scriptures say.
In this place (hell) is where death reigns and spoils the lives of everyone. This whole world system is hellish. Fortunately, it is not eternal.
The Religious minded are still incarcerated; but there is always hope.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 06:35 AM

14,905 posts, read 17,200,511 times
Quote:
according to the bible? if so then I guess it's good I won't have any children,
those children will have children and they will keep populating so by not having
children then I saved a lot of them from not only suffering in this world but
also from hell which will last forever, I saved lives

There are many scriptures in the Old Testament and New Testament which speak of the eventual restoration of all to God, meaning that the punishments/corrections of God are limited and have a higher purpose. God bless.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:14 AM

14,905 posts, read 17,200,511 times
Quote:

Jesus' death upon the cross was NOT universal. It applies ONLY to those who
accept it.
The apostle Paul teaches us:

1 Timothy 2

2 I exhort, then, first of all, there be made supplications, prayers, intercessions, thanksgivings, for all men:
2 for kings, and all who are in authority, that a quiet and peaceable life we may lead in all piety and gravity,
3 for this [is] right and acceptable before God our Saviour,
4 whodoth will all men to be saved, and to come to the full knowledge of the truth;
5 for one [is] God, one also [is] mediator of God and of men, the man Christ Jesus,
6 who did give himself a ransom for all -- the testimony in its own times --

(Young's Literal)

also 1 John 2:2

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an [a]Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2 and[b] He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 08-07-2014 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 07:27 AM

7,599 posts, read 6,101,988 times
As Thrillobyte said, NO
We can trace the Hell myth to the early church, when scare tactics were employed to convert pagans and other non-CHristians to the faith.
'Hell' as an invention of the church - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6I5VSZVqc

That being said, there are a few logical arguments which can disporve it.
First, the argument of legalism, the belief of "Unless you believe exactly as I do, you will go to hell"
This fails on two levels. One, since our billions of neurons will guarantee that no two beliefs can be exaclty alike, because our thoughts, experiences and our beliefs are unique down to the 0.0000000001%, no two people are likely to have the exact same beliefs. Which means only one person will live in heaven, making it in fact a very lonely place.
Second, since belief is a direct path to hell, let us say that one whose actions are unacceptable, such as a child molester, can hold the "right" beliefs. Does this seem like a fair system when a child molester can enjoy an eternity in heaven as he holds the right "Beliefs" while the beliefs of the philanthropist, who does not believe in heaven, condemn him to hell? Actions would, in a legalistic religion, have no bearing. The good fruit/bad fruit definition becomes to convoluted as to make success impossible. Does a loving diety want this for his creation?

Second, let us look at this from a neurological perspective. I observed a patient advancing through Alzheimer's disease, from simple forgetfulness to comatose. As his brain changed, so did his memory and his personality. He went, in a few years, from knowing who he was to not even knowing his name. He used to talk about watching the Yankees, how he looked forward daily to seeing what Mickey Mantle would do in his next t game, to not even m what baseball was. Along the way, he ceased to be a thinking, self aware human. His EEG and CT scans changed, and with his brain, his neurological function changed as well. He died in a comatose state, unable to respond to the world around him, but physically alive with vital signs and bodily function.
So what of the brain ? When it died, over the yeas, his memory died too. He forgot not only who Mickey Mantle, his favorite player was, but even who HE himself was. When the brain dies, memory dies as well. When the body dies, consciousness ceases. No memory of past events exists. None whatsoever. So to suggest some accountability, we must ask, to what degree? What if belief dies with the brain?
What if there is no afterlife? Science suggests strongly that there is no afterlife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDcZkrl-eoY

One thing is certain: Without a living brain, there is no consciousness. And without Consciousness, there is no memory. Look at an EEG of a comatose trauma victim as proof.

So, no afterlife, no hell.

Third is the definition of heaven or hell. Growing up in a very abusive Baptist church in small town Texas, I was reminded weekly that myself, my peers, and those in the church would all be in heaven because we were members of the "right church" and had "Accepted Jesus" Looking around, it was difficult to want to spend 2 hours with these people on a Sunday morning. I could not fathom an eternity with them. TO me, that would be hell. We were taught though, that hell was a place of suffering. Well, that church was a place of suffering. Plain and simple, it was hell on earth. We had them all, a pastor who was molesting his daughter (which was OK, because that was a "family problem and no one is perfect and god will forgive him"0 we had the run of the mill closet alcoholics, the hypocrites, we had people dying monthly of "Unusual circumstances such as hit and run accidents, we had racists, catholic haters and of course homophobes, who suggested that homosexuals should have no rights, should be locked up or taken out and shot, as one Sunday school teacher said. An eternity with these people would be pure hell.
So how could heaven be such a place if it is populated with these followers? Every city probably has one or more congregation like this one, where the negative, self hating people flock to promote hatred and misery in each other's lives. And they all claim to be the exclusive saved populace of mankind. Heaven or Hell ? To me Hell would be a collection of those who are extremely negative and hate-filled, while Heaven would be a place of positive energy and good. And these do not exist along religious lines. There are many good atheists and many evil Christians. What then ?

So no, no one could go to hell, as no place could exist within the minimal realm of human knowledge. In other words how could we even know of such a thing, as we cannot even define it?

Old 08-07-2014, 07:57 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,079,327 times
From what I believe or understand, the people that go to hell have chosen to go there and due to their irreparable hardness of heart, would refuse to go to heaven. But I don't think that somebody who is truly striving to follow God, regardless of their sin status, is going to be sent to hell.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:46 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,943,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
From what I believe or understand, the people that go to hell have chosen to go there and due to their irreparable hardness of heart, would refuse to go to heaven. But I don't think that somebody who is truly striving to follow God, regardless of their sin status, is going to be sent to hell.

I am just wondering if you have actually pondered what you said in the bold? If so, how then, does "love conquer all"? Is love too weak? Are some hearts stronger than God? How can that be?

Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 PM

11,286 posts, read 11,057,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
From what I believe or understand, the people that go to hell have chosen to go there.
I don't believe in a fiery hell (or any hell for that matter), but even if it existed, why would someone "choose" to go there? Unless, of course, by "choose" to go to hell you really mean to not accept Christ before they die. I can't say I've ever met anyone that wants to go to hell (although I'm sure that somewhere, some exist). Just because someone may not be a born again Christian doesn't mean they want to spend eternity in flames. Can you see why there may be a little bit of an issue there?

Many fundamentalists I know believe that God knows where you're headed long before you ever pop out of the womb. If He wants you to go to Heaven to be with Him, He'll let the Holy Spirit win you over. If His plan for you is eternal torment, He will harden your heart so you will never find the way. As sick and disturbing as this may sound, it is not an uncommon belief among many Christians. To take it a step further, many believe He not only knows the way you're going to die, but He sanctions it as well. I've always found this to be particularly disturbing, especially when I hear about a child on the news that was kidnapped, raped, and murdered. I'm always reminded of this when I hear someone say "God is in control".

Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,762,890 times
God does not send anyone to hell.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:48 AM

26 posts, read 50,238 times
Default Hell or Heaven Depends on your Deeds

The reason you mentioned for not having children is irrelevant to decide what is going to happen after you die. If your children do good deeds they will surely go to heaven if not then hell. So you can't just predict what is going to happen. So don't make up your mind to that and be optimistic.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:17 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,943,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanviola View Post
The reason you mentioned for not having children is irrelevant to decide what is going to happen after you die. If your children do good deeds they will surely go to heaven if not then hell. So you can't just predict what is going to happen. So don't make up your mind to that and be optimistic.

So if you do good deeds, you go to heaven, and if you don't then you are tortured forever (hell)?

Are you being sarcastic, or are these the things you really believe? Sorry, sometimes it's hard to tell the tone of a post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity