Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 03:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times

Advertisements

I was raised in and belong to an Independent Fundamental Baptist church and I was wondering if anybody else has had experience with this denomination, if anybody has left this denomination, and where they went afterward?

If you don't know much about IFB churches, I will explain them. They are an extreme right-wing Baptist denomination that split from the other Baptist churches because they percieved them to becoming too worldy. Our beliefs are similar to regular Baptists, just with extreme legalism and conservatism. The extent of legalism varies among IFB churches, but a few of the traits commonly seen among all are:

-Only the Authorized King James Version of the Bible is the inspired word of God
-Forbidding of indulgence in popular culture i.e. music, movies, dancing, etc
-Strict dress codes for men and women; no shorts for men and women must wear a dress when seen in public
-A woman must submit to her husband under all circumstances; she is forbidden to work
-Forbidding the visitation of movie theaters
-Discourge friends and relationships between members and those outside the church body
-The belief that ALL forms of alcohol consumption is sinful, and that when wine is used in the new testament its referring to grape juice
-The belief in a literal interpretation of Genesis; God created the universe in 6 days 6,000 years ago and any other interpretation is heresy
-Strict rejection of science and technology
-Sex outside of marriage, adultry, and homosexuality are strictly forbidden and are punishable by hell
-Strict allegiance to the pastor
-Rejection of a secular education; many churches have their own school at the church for K-12 and smaller churches without schools generally have a large amount of parents who homeschool
-Some IFB churches are very politically active, requiring their members to support a candidate based on their stance on abortion and homosexuality
-Countless other things that vary from church to church.

Over the past year I've really questioned this doctrine. I was taught growing up to accept it on faith and to question it was a path to hell. I am getting ready to relocate and want to find a more mainline or progressive church, but how do I transition between the extreme doctrine I've known my whole life and a church that accepts things that would be hell-damning by IFB doctrine?

Last edited by bchris02; 12-22-2007 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 82,726 times
Default Re: Independent Fundamental Baptists

Wow. I'm assuming you are looking for a church where it's ok to lie? Because at the very least you stretched the truth so much that it was no longer recognizable as truth. I have been independent fundamental Baptist churches since I was four. I vaguely recognize some of the standards that you mentioned, but not to the extreme that you have described them. The items you are questioning are not the "doctrine" of independent fundamental Baptists. If you see that as the doctrine, you are going to church for the wrong reason and you are switching denominations for the wrong reason. I don't know when you've been taught that spirituality is determined by the worldly activities you are allowed to partake in, but it can't be farther from the truth. Although the amount of rules you put on yourself is not indicative of your spirituality, living a separated life can affect your spiritual life positively. You've got deeper problems than the "hell-damning by IFB doctrine". What you are looking for is a place to meet your social needs and nothing more. Might I suggest a book club? Or a country club? Wait... The country club has a dress code.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:51 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
My parents dragged me to one of these churches from birth to about age 8. I absolutely hated it. "Turn or Burn SINNER!", the preacher would yell at the end of his sermon, scaring people into getting "saved". It also turned out he was having an affair with his secretary and embezzling money from the church. These churches are a cancer on your brain. Get out while you can!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:06 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
bchris02, might I recommend trying something different? When you move, why not find out where several churches are in your area, and try a different one each week? Most Christian church congregations are pretty friendly and if you explain to them what you're looking for, I'll bet you'd find a lot of people willing to help you in your search.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:10 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times
Quote:
Independent Fundamentilist Baptists
Ooohhh...I just got the shivers!

Say it again!

*disclaimer: I say that because my beleifs and the IFB beliefs clash on a huge level, not trying to say they are "bad".

Old 01-31-2008, 03:21 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
If you still want to stay in the Baptist tradition, but want more grace and freedom check out the churches in the Baptist General Conference (http://216.177.136.28/chdirect/CHURCHES_list.php - broken link). Here is a little history (http://216.177.136.28/content/category/12/57/70/ - broken link)of that specific denomination. You generally won't find the fundamentalism and extremism.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:21 PM

706 posts, read 1,241,203 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but being raised a Jehovah's Witness, I dont know alot about your group, I do have one question. Are your churches really independent or are they governed by a higher church authority? a centralized home office?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:44 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I was raised in and belong to an Independent Fundamental Baptist church and I was wondering if anybody else has had experience with this denomination, if anybody has left this denomination, and where they went afterward?

If you don't know much about IFB churches, I will explain them. They are an extreme right-wing Baptist denomination that split from the other Baptist churches because they percieved them to becoming too worldy. Our beliefs are similar to regular Baptists, just with extreme legalism and conservatism. The extent of legalism varies among IFB churches, but a few of the traits commonly seen among all are:

-Only the Authorized King James Version of the Bible is the inspired word of God
-Forbidding of indulgence in popular culture i.e. music, movies, dancing, etc
-Strict dress codes for men and women; no shorts for men and women must wear a dress when seen in public
-A woman must submit to her husband under all circumstances; she is forbidden to work
-Forbidding the visitation of movie theaters
-Discourge friends and relationships between members and those outside the church body
-The belief that ALL forms of alcohol consumption is sinful, and that when wine is used in the new testament its referring to grape juice
-The belief in a literal interpretation of Genesis; God created the universe in 6 days 6,000 years ago and any other interpretation is heresy
-Strict rejection of science and technology
-Sex outside of marriage, adultry, and homosexuality are strictly forbidden and are punishable by hell
-Strict allegiance to the pastor
-Rejection of a secular education; many churches have their own school at the church for K-12 and smaller churches without schools generally have a large amount of parents who homeschool
-Some IFB churches are very politically active, requiring their members to support a candidate based on their stance on abortion and homosexuality
-Countless other things that vary from church to church.

Over the past year I've really questioned this doctrine. I was taught growing up to accept it on faith and to question it was a path to hell. I am getting ready to relocate and want to find a more mainline or progressive church, but how do I transition between the extreme doctrine I've known my whole life and a church that accepts things that would be hell-damning by IFB doctrine?

I know your church probably said bad things about the Catholic Church, but if you want to go to the Church that Jesus, Himself, started, and go to Church as Jesus intended and said would last forever, then give it a look. Have an open heart and sit in the back and judge for yourself. I believe with honest research of the Apostles, Disciples of the Apostles, and the early Church, a passion for the truth, and and open heart, you will come home to the Catholic Church. Start with Matthew 16:13-19.

Then Check: Catholic Answers: Library: Church & Papacy

Last edited by juj; 02-01-2008 at 10:55 AM..

Old 02-01-2008, 10:56 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,126 times
Im not a baptist from what I have witnessed they have stayed the course where as my denomination has jumped on every spirtual bandwagon fad.....Put your Faith in God read your bible, pray and seek the truth, He does know what your in need of. I use to belong to a UPC, that was very legalistic, but now am free of that, Im grateful of the discipline and praying that I was taught to do.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:39 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifbjosh View Post
Wow. I'm assuming you are looking for a church where it's ok to lie? Because at the very least you stretched the truth so much that it was no longer recognizable as truth. I have been independent fundamental Baptist churches since I was four. I vaguely recognize some of the standards that you mentioned, but not to the extreme that you have described them. The items you are questioning are not the "doctrine" of independent fundamental Baptists. If you see that as the doctrine, you are going to church for the wrong reason and you are switching denominations for the wrong reason. I don't know when you've been taught that spirituality is determined by the worldly activities you are allowed to partake in, but it can't be farther from the truth. Although the amount of rules you put on yourself is not indicative of your spirituality, living a separated life can affect your spiritual life positively. You've got deeper problems than the "hell-damning by IFB doctrine". What you are looking for is a place to meet your social needs and nothing more. Might I suggest a book club? Or a country club? Wait... The country club has a dress code.
This kind of arrogance and sarcasm is exactly would I would expect from an IFBer. I remember sitting through countless sermons where the preacher bashed other denominations for being too much like a "country club".

One thing I will point out is because the churches are independent, some IFB churches are more extreme than others. The legalistic rules I described were based on being raised in an IFB home for 22 years and what I heard every Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night from the pulpit. I also agree with you that spirituality is not defined by rules and regulations against worldly activities, but I do believe IFB (in general) put so much emphasis on legalism and allegiance to the church that they forget the real reason they are Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity