Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:09 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,245,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved by grace View Post
If you don't know much about IFB churches, I will explain them. They are an extreme right-wing Baptist denomination that split from the other Baptist churches because they percieved them to becoming too worldy. Our beliefs are similar to regular Baptists, just with extreme legalism and conservatism

Ok, enough about all that other stuff. Let me ask you when you say extreme legalism.. what does that mean? like having to follow rules? I have heard people call ifb churches legalists, but I'm not exactly sure what they are refering to?
I think people mean, for instance, the polygamists in Texas - the way they make the women dress like they're back in pioneer days and the goofy hair-do's, un-plucked eyebrows, etc. I grew up near a church that had a sort of compound where the members lived and the women were like that - and they were never allowed to cut their hair. The men had the "beard minus the moustache" thing going on too. All very strange, and I'm sure based on specific Biblical verses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 05:29 AM

7 posts, read 35,893 times
I am on the same page. I went to a college that was KJV only. Once one really studies it ( with the brains given..silly).
I now attend a fundemental church that has great preaching but opera type music..I also fell into alcoholism for the first time 4 years ago...hard. My church was ill-equiped and at the time gave horrible advice...since I had to leave my family for 6 months (rehab-pentacostal) and got home only to struggle some again...I know my savior and daily I struggle for obedience when things are tough.....I also want sooo baddly to find a church with true expository teaching..fundemental in teachings and abounding in love! There are some in my church that are loving and many that have forgotten that the grace they need may even exceed my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I was raised in and belong to an Independent Fundamental Baptist church and I was wondering if anybody else has had experience with this denomination, if anybody has left this denomination, and where they went afterward?

If you don't know much about IFB churches, I will explain them. They are an extreme right-wing Baptist denomination that split from the other Baptist churches because they percieved them to becoming too worldy. Our beliefs are similar to regular Baptists, just with extreme legalism and conservatism. The extent of legalism varies among IFB churches, but a few of the traits commonly seen among all are:

-Only the Authorized King James Version of the Bible is the inspired word of God
-Forbidding of indulgence in popular culture i.e. music, movies, dancing, etc
-Strict dress codes for men and women; no shorts for men and women must wear a dress when seen in public
-A woman must submit to her husband under all circumstances; she is forbidden to work
-Forbidding the visitation of movie theaters
-Discourge friends and relationships between members and those outside the church body
-The belief that ALL forms of alcohol consumption is sinful, and that when wine is used in the new testament its referring to grape juice
-The belief in a literal interpretation of Genesis; God created the universe in 6 days 6,000 years ago and any other interpretation is heresy
-Strict rejection of science and technology
-Sex outside of marriage, adultry, and homosexuality are strictly forbidden and are punishable by hell
-Strict allegiance to the pastor
-Rejection of a secular education; many churches have their own school at the church for K-12 and smaller churches without schools generally have a large amount of parents who homeschool
-Some IFB churches are very politically active, requiring their members to support a candidate based on their stance on abortion and homosexuality
-Countless other things that vary from church to church.

Over the past year I've really questioned this doctrine. I was taught growing up to accept it on faith and to question it was a path to hell. I am getting ready to relocate and want to find a more mainline or progressive church, but how do I transition between the extreme doctrine I've known my whole life and a church that accepts things that would be hell-damning by IFB doctrine?

Old 07-04-2008, 05:34 AM

WOW! Where is the loving restoration Gal 6:1 or do you believe that you are above these things? I have been in many churches and this mans claims are true. I can debate the Bible over and over but without LOVE (not acceptenace of sin)..it is nothing....love God and others...The to-do fundemental list is outtacontrol...time for the God of Grace and TRUTH>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifbjosh View Post
Wow. I'm assuming you are looking for a church where it's ok to lie? Because at the very least you stretched the truth so much that it was no longer recognizable as truth. I have been independent fundamental Baptist churches since I was four. I vaguely recognize some of the standards that you mentioned, but not to the extreme that you have described them. The items you are questioning are not the "doctrine" of independent fundamental Baptists. If you see that as the doctrine, you are going to church for the wrong reason and you are switching denominations for the wrong reason. I don't know when you've been taught that spirituality is determined by the worldly activities you are allowed to partake in, but it can't be farther from the truth. Although the amount of rules you put on yourself is not indicative of your spirituality, living a separated life can affect your spiritual life positively. You've got deeper problems than the "hell-damning by IFB doctrine". What you are looking for is a place to meet your social needs and nothing more. Might I suggest a book club? Or a country club? Wait... The country club has a dress code.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:36 AM

So sad...but God's truth is still the same John 3:16...this is what happens when one looks as man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My parents dragged me to one of these churches from birth to about age 8. I absolutely hated it. "Turn or Burn SINNER!", the preacher would yell at the end of his sermon, scaring people into getting "saved". It also turned out he was having an affair with his secretary and embezzling money from the church. These churches are a cancer on your brain. Get out while you can!

Old 07-04-2008, 05:42 AM

Oh, I pray that you have found salvation in Christ alone! John 3:16 Acts 6:11

There are both..independant fundemental stand alone and Southern Baptist. Southern Baptist have a group that they support to get missionaries out faster etc...I attend a seperate group but applaud all groups spreding the gospel that includes forgiveness by grace thru faith alone..if only more CHRISTIANS would get the grace picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but being raised a Jehovah's Witness, I dont know alot about your group, I do have one question. Are your churches really independent or are they governed by a higher church authority? a centralized home office?

Old 07-04-2008, 05:47 AM

I am not usually this strong in my post. However, the Catholic church is sending people to hell. They are great at the humanity stuff...feeding poor, helping others (inportant still) but miss the grace!
Peter has a vision in Acts about food and we are told by Paul that in the last days we will be instructed..don't marry (priest) or eat (lent) cetain foods.

Salvation is by grace alone ...thru faith alone and their is one mediator between God and us JESUS...not a priest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! read Matt-Acts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I know your church probably said bad things about the Catholic Church, but if you want to go to the Church that Jesus, Himself, started, and go to Church as Jesus intended and said would last forever, then give it a look. Have an open heart and sit in the back and judge for yourself. I believe with honest research of the Apostles, Disciples of the Apostles, and the early Church, a passion for the truth, and and open heart, you will come home to the Catholic Church. Start with Matthew 16:13-19.

Then Check: Catholic Answers: Library: Church & Papacy

Old 07-04-2008, 05:48 AM

I agree...It is your personal relationship with CHRIST ALONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This kind of arrogance and sarcasm is exactly would I would expect from an IFBer. I remember sitting through countless sermons where the preacher bashed other denominations for being too much like a "country club".

One thing I will point out is because the churches are independent, some IFB churches are more extreme than others. The legalistic rules I described were based on being raised in an IFB home for 22 years and what I heard every Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night from the pulpit. I also agree with you that spirituality is not defined by rules and regulations against worldly activities, but I do believe IFB (in general) put so much emphasis on legalism and allegiance to the church that they forget the real reason they are Christians.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:53 AM

The Bible speaks for itself....God too!.......Just DO NOT call yourself Christians...followers of JESUS CHRIST..he would not approve..Check the Bible ot and new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
The whole point is that you can take Bible verses that fundamentalists use to demonize gay people, go to earlier translations, and come to a different conclusion. Just because there isn't a verse in the KJV that say, "And I sayeth, homesexuals shall be treated the same as heterosexuals" doesn't mean I can't come to a different conclusion.

I know who I am, what I choose, and what I can or can't change. If you want to use the Bible to point fingers and say I'm a threat to the country, a demon, or whatever, that's your right. Just keep your opinions out of laws!

Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,616,442 times
WoW! great discussion & quite informative. Clearly there are expressions of faith in every Baptist church & enough variety to suit most evangelicals. I encourage our poster to explore nearby churches.

It seems there are traditions within many denominations that emphasize self-denial in order to devote more time studying Scripture. For example, there are many orders of nuns/monks who turn away in isolation for intense prayer. The relationship with God is 24/7.

My in-laws are Lutheran [including Missouri Synod who forbid women ordination\ strongly pro-life\ highly doctrinal - catholic piety]. There is much tension in the Anglican communion w/ talk of African dioceses splitting from Canterbury [over issue of homosexuality].

Sorry about the diversion.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:28 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,245,901 times
I see a church near where I live that's labeled "Primitive Baptist". It's in a little old house, so couldn't have many members. Anyone know what that denomination is about? I suppose I could Google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity