Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 12:22 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times

Advertisements

The next full moon on Halloween will be: October 31, 2020

Try to have some fun, while you carve the pumpkin this year. LMBO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 08:03 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The next full moon on Halloween will be: October 31, 2020

Try to have some fun, while you carve the pumpkin this year. LMBO

Jerwade... have you been using that "tan in a bottle"? You know that stuff makes you orange. No use trying to get it off now, you have to wait for it to fade. Sorry, buddy.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:18 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
I need a new broom..The one I ride now one doesn't have On Star

Old 09-13-2014, 12:10 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,805 times

That does look a lot like a spray on orange tan, Sparrow!

Miss Blue -that's funny

Old 09-18-2014, 09:55 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,437 times
1. No, it's not a sin.

2. No, it's not a holiday of pagan origin. It's of old Christian origin.

3. The early Church followed the Jewish tradition that a day begins at sundown, so the beginning of the paired holidays of All Saints's Day (Nov 1) and All Soul's Day (Nov 2) begins at sundown the day before (Oct. 31), and was later considered an early celebration of those two events. (The same survival of Jewish practice is why you can go to Mass on Saturday evening and satisfy your Sunday Mass obligation.) Both holidays began as a way of praying for the souls of the dead in Purgatory, and mocking the forces of darkness. A variation of it can be found in every country with Catholic traditions, including the Philippines and Mexico.

4. No, despite what crackpot ideas you read on the Internet, El Dia de Los Muertos didn't have an Aztec/pagan origin either. It's part of the same Catholic tradition.

5. There was NO pagan tradition of a holiday centered on the dead on October 31 before the Christian festival began. The Celts had a medieval festival called Samhain (which just means "November," it's not the name of a deity) which was held at this time, but it was essentially a cattle trading and political festival with no real religious significance. It was a time when cattle were moved from the highlands to the lowlands, some of the stock was slaughtered and the meat sold or shared around big bonfires on the plains, and the clans held meetings to deal with political matters. It had no connection to the dead.

6. Any authoritative claims people make about pre-Christian pagan origins of Halloween, or anything else, has to be tempered with the knowledge that none of the Celtic pagan tribes had a written language before the introduction of Christianity, so almost all of the claims about such things are based on recorded medieval practices, and guesses or bad anthropology by Victorian folklorists like Sir Edward Frazer, whose prejudices against Christianity led them to assume that any Christian festival MUST have had a pagan origin, so Halloween MUST have derived from some kind of pagan celebration of the dead. Even if there was no record of any such holiday.

7. The Catholic celebrations of All Saints / All Souls Days began as a general feast day to celebrate the Martyrs of the early Church, which were celebrated on different days in different regions. The day used in Germany (November 1) was the one that was finally chosen to be celebrated throughout the Church worldwide (around 800 AD). The Church fathers in Germany probably had never heard of Samhain, and it had nothing to do with Celtic practices.

Also, as this was also about 4 centuries after St. Patrick had converted the Irish to Christianity, there would have been no need to adopt any supposed pagan holiday to try to appeal to the pagans - they had already been converted long ago, and paganism no longer existed in mainland Europe or the British Isles.

8. Neither Christmas nor Easter had a pagan origin, either, but that is for another time.

Last edited by Arizona Mike; 09-18-2014 at 10:12 PM..

Old 09-18-2014, 11:53 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Default Is it a sin to enjoy halloween?

Of course not . . . but it does depend on your state of mind. That is what I was referring to in the other thread. We are focused on things and acts and forget that it is our state of mind . . . the WHY we are doing anything that determines its character. IF you are participating without agape love and doing things that reflect that lack of love resulting in harm to others . . . then Yes it would be a sin.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:13 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
As christians, we dont celebrate Easter, Christmas or Halloween. We havent always done this, it took a lot of thought, counseling with others and consideration.

So if you ask my children " What are you doing on Halloween" or " what are you dressing up as?" they will tell you " we dont celebrate it". Same with " Will Santa bring you XYZ" or " Whats Easter Bunny bringing".

and no my children are not scarred for life because of it.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:17 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No, it's not a sin to enjoy anything if no one is hurt.
Somebody has never read the 10 commandments

Old 10-25-2015, 08:12 AM

1,146 posts, read 648,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
Is it a sin to enjoy halloween? I'm not talking about worshipping other Gods, or witchcraft, or having evil intentions. I'm talking about putting decorations up, using old fashioned costumes with halloween themes such as spooks, skeletons, jack o lanterns, bats etc. I've done some research on the holiday. It can be a little blurry. But I do know that November 1st is All Saints Day. One thing I've heard is halloween began as a tradition to 'scare' the evil spirits away the night before All Saints Day. And the costume wearing was a way to 'confuse' the bad spirits so they couldn't tell who to attack. Demons are mentioned in the bible (considered fallen angels) so it would not be sinful to believe they exist. What would be wrong with 'scaring' them away? I guess I felt it was OK to enjoy halloween, but am a little confused by some Christians reaction to the holiday. I grew up loving the season and usually look forward to it.
Does anyone have any expertise on this subject? Or any knowledge to share??

Thanks!
Halloween is the witches' sabbath. What was once a Christian observance has become spiritual wickedness.

The Bible specifically warns against polluting one's religion. The decoration of one's work place, home and observance with costumes and parties is not consistent with spiritual principles the Bible presents.

Halloween is the embodiment of spiritual wickedness. It is not CUTE.

Anyone who has read and studied the Bible will tell you that. Anyone who has done battle with the forces of darkness will tell you that. Halloween is perverted.

It is better to walk the streets of your neighborhood naked than to put on the garb of satan and advertise it's kingdom of evil.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft....

Old 10-25-2015, 08:23 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Halloween is the witches' sabbath. What was once a Christian observance has become spiritual wickedness.

The Bible specifically warns against polluting one's religion. The decoration of one's work place, home and observance with costumes and parties is not consistent with spiritual principles the Bible presents.

Halloween is the embodiment of spiritual wickedness. It is not CUTE.

Anyone who has read and studied the Bible will tell you that. Anyone who has done battle with the forces of darkness will tell you that. Halloween is perverted.

It is better to walk the streets of your neighborhood naked than to put on the garb of satan and advertise it's kingdom of evil.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft....
It is the cultural precursor to Dia de Los Muertos. We remember our ancestors and share stories.
Anyone who has enjoyed dress-up will tell you it is fun.

This is me throwing kisses from the choir loft. I would throw beads, but I used them up at Mardi-Gras.

Much like the Emperor, I find most fundamentalist ideologues are without apparel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity