Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:23 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
How does he tickle their ears?. Walk into any christian fundamentalist church and you will hear preachers preaching to the choir exactly what they want to hear....... Their interpretation of the bible.
That may well be true that a fundamentalist pastor is going to say what their congregation wants to hear. But does that change the fact that Osteen is an ear-tickler?

I've never heard him preach the Gospel. He starts off every sermon with a joke, then proceeds to declare that everyone hearing him is the pinnacle of God's creation and that they deserve to be healthy, wealthy, and wise. How can one sit in front of 30,000 + people and declare that they are ALL destined to be have whatever their hearts desire?
Quote:
Say anything contrary to what they already know and believe and you ain't going to go down to well.

What is wrong with being good looking and having nice teeth ?.
Absolutely nothing. Unfortunately, though, that's about all he is.
Quote:
I would rather be good looking with nice teeth loving my neighbor as myself than to be a white washed tomb full of dead religion.
Wouldn't we all? Unfortunately, it's certainly possible to be a white-washed tomb full of dead religion, AND have nice teeth. Have you heard Osteen's sermon where he tells his congregation they should stop eating pork so that God will bless them? That's legalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:35 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That may well be true that a fundamentalist pastor is going to say what their congregation wants to hear. But does that change the fact that Osteen is an ear-tickler?

I've never heard him preach the Gospel. He starts off every sermon with a joke, then proceeds to declare that everyone hearing him is the pinnacle of God's creation and that they deserve to be healthy, wealthy, and wise. How can one sit in front of 30,000 + people and declare that they are ALL destined to be have whatever their hearts desire?

Absolutely nothing. Unfortunately, though, that's about all he is.

Wouldn't we all? Unfortunately, it's certainly possible to be a white-washed tomb full of dead religion, AND have nice teeth. Have you heard Osteen's sermon where he tells his congregation they should stop eating pork so that God will bless them? That's legalism.
Because he believes it and you don't.

Do you think those 30,000 or whatever show up every week to get fleeced by him, it is not like they are threatened with hell to entice them. If what he teaches works then praise God and share what God as blessed you with, if not go where what you are hearing works in your life.

That the communication of your faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.

You see, the only faith worth its salt to me is effective faith. Going week in week out to a church hearing the preacher trying to explain what he does not have a clue about and the best he's got is your a sinner and if you don't repent you are going to hell, and parroting the bible is the infallible inerrant word of God,he needs the right boot of fellowship, because he certainly is not breaking bread and feeding the flock.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Because he believes it and you don't.
What happens when one gets cancer? Or their loved ones commit suicide? Or if they get fired from their jobs? Or the health and wealth that he promises doesn't come to be?
Quote:
Do you think those 30,000 or whatever show up every week to get fleeced by him, it is not like they are threatened with hell to entice them. If what he teaches works then praise God and share what God as blessed you with, if not go where what you are hearing works in your life.
Because it DOESN'T work. Instead of people coming to know the real Gospel -- that Jesus died on the cross for their sins and that by trusting in him for salvation, they are instead taught to simply use him as a magic genie to get what their hearts desire.
Quote:
That the communication of your faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.

You see, the only faith worth its salt to me is effective faith. Going week in week out to a church hearing the preacher trying to explain what he does not have a clue about
Sadly, that describes Joel.
Quote:

and the best he's got is your a sinner and if you don't repent you are going to hell, and parroting the bible is the infallible inerrant word of God,he needs the right boot of fellowship, because he certainly is not breaking bread and feeding the flock.
Actually, this last bit describes the job of a pastor -- to preach the Gospel. I'm sorry if you disagree. We already know we don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, nor do you seem to care what the Bible actually says.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:

What is wrong with being good looking and having nice teeth ?.
Not a thing. But if you're trying to claim the other guy is doing it wrong I think it's in the handbook to toss in a comment about their teeth.

"Look at his teeth! Look at his teeth!" What happens? People are distracted ("Why yes. He's like a Kennedy. He has nice teeth.") and you've given yourself room to say absolutely nothing of value.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Not a thing. But if you're trying to claim the other guy is doing it wrong I think it's in the handbook to toss in a comment about their teeth.

"Look at his teeth! Look at his teeth!" What happens? People are distracted ("Why yes. He's like a Kennedy. He has nice teeth.") and you've given yourself room to say absolutely nothing of value.
My point is that he's all style, no substance. If he was a 350 pound, sweaty sasquatch-looking kind of guy wearing a cheap suit while telling people that God will bless them they're obedient....I doubt that 40,000+ people would come to his church.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:25 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,273 times
When it comes to false teachers, like Joel Osteen, there are three main points to remember.

1st POINT

Matthew 7:15-16, "Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they?"

People like Joel Osteen, a wolf in sheep's clothing, give Christianity a bad name because his message is disguised as Christianity. But, he doesn't preach Christianity. Even if you wanted to argue that he does (which he doesn't), he doesn't preach the full gospel (all of the scriptures) as commanded. He admittedly says that he won't talk about sin, repentance, judgment, hell, holiness, etc., because he wants to stay positive and motivational. Wolves avoid difficult truths.

Joel Osteen doesn't want to talk about the very things that Jesus died for? He doesn't want to talk about the very purpose of Jesus' ministry?

If God says "beware," we'd better pay attention. These wolves set out to destroy. They aren't wearing read and holding signs that say they're out to deceive you. They're in sheep's clothing. They come across as Christians. But their fruit is that what they say does NOT match up with what God says in His word. There's a grain of watered-down truth that's twisted to make people think, "Huh. Yeah, okay." It's subtle. People hear that kernel of truth and, recognizing that, will then believe the rest must be true then, too.

Wolves and counterfeit teachers produce counterfeit, false believers. This is serious. Eternities are at stake. At the end of this road is destruction.

2nd POINT

2 Timothy 2:4, "I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths."

The reason that these wolves, like Joel Osteen, Benny Hinn, Rob Bell, Mormons, Universalism, etc., exist is because they are God's judgment on the people who follow them. They're those who want their ears tickled. They want to hear what they want to hear and that's it. So, God has given them what they asked for. He's given them over to deception. God has done this throughout the scriptures. That's why it's the carnal Christian who gets the most upset about hearing this; people who name the name of Christ but are still living according to their own lusts, desires and rules. Read Romans 1:18-32.

3rd POINT

Point One was about Matthew 7:15-16. Now look at the two verses before it. The folks on this Christian forum would be very wise to remember...

Matthew 7:13-14, "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it."

What is that narrow way? What's the small, narrow way, the ONLY way, that leads to life that only a few find? Here's the answer...

John 14:6, "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

It's only through Jesus that people will be saved, know God or spend eternity with Him. Period. That's pretty narrow, alright. Jesus declared that He's the truth. Truth is absolute. We don't all get "our own truth," as the politically correct system likes to say. The Truth is the Truth. Period. And you either accept it, or you don't. Not part of it. Not just the things you like or want. ALL of it.

That's why the way is so narrow, the gate small, and why only a few find it. People don't want to surrender their entire lives to Jesus. They want Jesus as an accessory. They pick and choose what they like from the Bible, twist some of it to fit what they want to believe, and throw away the rest. The wolves are happy to provide that broad way and the wide gate that lead "many" to destruction. Look at what this scripture says again! THE way, Jesus, is narrow and FEW will find it. The broad way that leads to destruction is wide and MANY will find it. Does this sound like everyone will be eventually saved? FEW people will. Only those who accept Jesus and His way.

This (and many other scriptures) fully destroys the teachings of Universalists that pervade this forum that say Jesus will eventually save everyone because God is love and God's desire is that everyone be saved. Yes, God is love and it's God's desire for everyone to be saved, but the scripture clearly says, over and over, that not everyone will be. God is also holy and a just judge. He has wrath and pronounces judgments. But, those of us who believe that are called hateful because we declare the whole gospel of Christ instead of picking and choosing from the scriptures what we like and don't like.

2 Peter 1:11 says that the true believer will receive a "rich welcome" into the eternal kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 2:1 says that the false believer will experience "swift destruction."

2 Peter 2:3 says their condemnation has long been hanging over them and their destruction has not been sleeping.

The way is narrow and only a few find it. Jesus is that only way. Jesus is the Truth. Your eternity is at stake. Be careful who you're listening to and being guided by. Read the parable in Matthew 13 about the wheat and the tares (weeds).

Jesus says in the book of Matthew that there will be many who have been involved in ministry in His name, to whom he will say, "Depart from me; I never knew you"

Matthew 7:21-23, "Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’"

Not everyone who claims to be a Christian actually is one. The way is narrow and few find it.

What do you want to hear when you stand before Him in judgment?

"Well done good and faithful servant." Matthew 25:21

or

"Depart from Me, I never knew you." Matthew 7:23

Old 09-05-2014, 12:31 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
My point is that he's all style, no substance. If he was a 350 pound, sweaty sasquatch-looking kind of guy wearing a cheap suit while telling people that God will bless them they're obedient....I doubt that 40,000+ people would come to his church.
What is the substance he lacks ? A big belly and stinking of sweat ?Phew . Or is it because it something other than his substance that tickles your ears ?.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
What is the substance he lacks ? A big belly and stinking of sweat ?Phew . Or is it because it something other than his substance that tickles your ears ?.
The Gospel. I've never heard him preach it.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:43 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbear468 View Post
Hello, all. I read these yesterday and found them interesting. Wanted to share with you.

Joel Osteen and his wife are heretics, and that’s why America loves them
Joel Osteen and his wife are heretics, and that's why America loves them - The Matt Walsh Blog

The Osteen Predicament - Mere Happiness Cannot Bear the Weight of the Gospel
The Osteen Predicament — Mere Happiness Cannot Bear the Weight of the Gospel – AlbertMohler.com

Osteenification and What it Portends
Osteenification and What It Portends
Since I seldom have much use for Televangelism in general, my first reaction was: "Who the Hades is Joel Osteen??"

If anyone is in the same boat with me there: Joel Osteen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems like a typical mega-church pastor where ratings and gathering giant crowds takes precedence over everything else. I don't think many men and women claiming to be sent by God can endure in that environment for long without

Is he a heretic? At this point, what's a heretic anyways?? We're long past heresy being "departure from the Universal Catholic Faith." So what does the word mean at this point? Is heresy any preaching that fails to coincide with your own beliefs? I honestly know and care very little about Joel Osteen. Just curious were all this passionate vitriol is coming from. Can somebody offer me some unfiltered examples?

Old 09-05-2014, 12:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Rick Warren is overweight, has thinning hair and wears Hawaiian shirts he buys at Costco. His teeth aren't up to the Orange County standards of dental excellence. He must have a great deal of substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity