Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 11:30 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Maybe if they go through the hassle of setting up the instruments, they feel like they need to play enough songs to make it worthwhile.

In my church, we sing a song, greet everyone...sing 1-2 more, then we have the rest of the service. We end with a song. But we are a small country church that doesn't have a band. Instead we have a piano player.

It's funny though...what you're describing is the typical evangelical seeker-sensitive mega church. Such churches pride themselves on not being traditional....not being liturgical. But they still have their liturgy--their "Order of Service". People get used to 20-30 minutes of worship time, then an offering, and the sermon for 45 minutes.
Softening the digestive system, prior to swallowing a sermon?
Appears to be the standard format, before, and after passing around the plate?

I wonder how it would work, if the Church kept 10% of the offering for its overhead.
And gave 90% to families that were in need, you know those who have limited resources?

Now, that might be something to sing about.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 12:02 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The older hymns may have "archaic" language, but they are, in general, much more grounded in theology than the new "praise" songs that dominate the church scene. I'm thinking of Rock of Ages, What a Friend We Have in Jesus, Standing on the Promises of God, The Old Rugged Cross, It Is Well with my Soul, Amazing Grace. The newer songs seem to be much more repetitive in their stanzas and are the words are sometimes overpowered by the music.

I am a big fan of Southern gospel quartet music, also--such as the songs put out by the Gaithers--either through creation or popularization. I'm thinking of The Cross Made the Difference for Me and Because He Lives off the top of my head.

Music can be every bit as inspiring as preaching--and on occasion more so.
Those are good songs, i wish they would sing maybe 3 stanzas or 4 at most, and then do more of those songs .. seems like the familiary with the stanzas somehow makes the song more relatable. I guess the 4th, 5th and 6th stanzas dont seem to have meaning or something - to me. maybe someone it does. maybe you feel that way about all those stanzas.

Have you ever though actually just not sung the song like a robot, but actually paid attention to the words? ok like that song about an ebeneezer, do you think people know what an ebeneezer is? its a pretty song, but its sort of archaic.

theres one modern song i like by Michael McDonald, its a modern song but i like it - it reminds me of something they sing up in heaven. dang i cant remember the name but its one of his famous ones.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It seems to be a format.

But, I see people dragging their sleepy families in...the standing for even 40 minutes
baffles me...I swear some people are hungover.

Wouldn't encouraging, inspiring words be better to start with ...then...filled up...
it seems natural people would joyously sing?

I see (feel) people 'singing on empty'.

Saw a famous preacher you know from TV last night, possibly
8000 there, I figure...35 minutes standing, singing, another 30 minutes showing/telling
about all the worldwide help they do...then, finally, over an hour of advice, coaching and
inspiration with many Bible verses referenced, finally.

If I go back... I will slip in an hr late. Just sayin...

Any pastors that can explain why jumping and singing first before there
are inspiring words/sermon?

PS...If I start a church...I will inspire and pump people up first, then, say, "Let's get up
and sing to the Lord, yeah!!! Hallelujah!"

Thanks in advance
Entertainment value, hyperventilation leads to a feel of the spirit and they expect it.

Now that said a song preceding the sermon is OK as it is a form of prayer or worship praise. But keep it short and then either before or after an opening prayer and then ....... teach.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:26 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Also, since i have bad knees, I also do not stand just because they order me to. I am not a sheep. so im a bit rebellious about all that stupidity of being a sheep, for what? what does standing have to do to make this stupid song any more holy? maybe this is why i do not like church. I cant stand these stupid standing for 40 minutes and singing a stupid song.
When it comes time for people in my church to stand, I ask everyone to rise as they are able, in body and spirit. Some folks can't stand and they sit - no biggie... no-one cares one bit.

As for the 30 minutes of singing, never been in one that long, but have attended churches that do sing a lot. My take is they are trying to be entertainment first and church second. If the folks aren't entertained from the minute they arrive, they might not return and might not bring their $$.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:49 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
The church where I go is called ``Praise`` So the worship singing can be 45 minutes , but I have gone to service where the whole meeting was singing , while the Pastors and the elders would pray for people who were going up to the front to get prayer , as this was the lead in the Holy Spirit sometimes as people needed prayer in sometimes hard times , and then there was no Word of God in these meetings , and even sometime the offering was missed ......

Old 09-06-2014, 02:57 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,841,543 times
Ive been to both kinds of churches and in between.

Pentacostal churches can go on singing (or preaching) for a very, very, very, very VERY long time. Methodist churches have about 2-3 songs, then preach for about 30-45 minutes and 1 song at the end. The one non-denominational church we attend preaches first for 1.5hrs, then sings for 30min. The other non denom church we attended sings 2 songs, then preaches for an hour, then 1 song.

Personally i dont like preaching first, its boring to me.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:22 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Those are good songs, i wish they would sing maybe 3 stanzas or 4 at most, and then do more of those songs .. seems like the familiary with the stanzas somehow makes the song more relatable. I guess the 4th, 5th and 6th stanzas dont seem to have meaning or something - to me. maybe someone it does. maybe you feel that way about all those stanzas.

Have you ever though actually just not sung the song like a robot, but actually paid attention to the words? ok like that song about an ebeneezer, do you think people know what an ebeneezer is? its a pretty song, but its sort of archaic.

theres one modern song i like by Michael McDonald, its a modern song but i like it - it reminds me of something they sing up in heaven. dang i cant remember the name but its one of his famous ones.
Not only do I peruse the words, we have a set of books that tells the historical developmental background of many of the songs. My most favorite is "It Is Well With My Soul." The author, Spafford, wrote the song after having lost his four daughters in a shipwreck where only his wife survived. Knowing the history of the song makes it much more meaningful.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:26 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
When it comes time for people in my church to stand, I ask everyone to rise as they are able, in body and spirit. Some folks can't stand and they sit - no biggie... no-one cares one bit.

As for the 30 minutes of singing, never been in one that long, but have attended churches that do sing a lot. My take is they are trying to be entertainment first and church second. If the folks aren't entertained from the minute they arrive, they might not return and might not bring their $$.
The length of singing is less a problem for me than the length of the morning prayer. I attended a denominationally related college that had "required" chapel the first year I was there and the minister from the largest Baptist church in town usually gave the once per week message. He would literally pray ten minutes while we stood. I know--I began timing him!

What got me even more is that most of his prayers were informing the Lord about what the Lord knew, as in, "Lord, you know, that we as your people---" etc, etc.

We were all praying "Come on songs!"

Old 09-06-2014, 04:54 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
I've been trying to sort-out my attitudes towards this. Over many years in 'street ministry', I used a 'worship service' format that included 2-3 hymns/music and announcements, followed by 30-40 minutes of in-depth Bible Teaching. This seemed to be a pretty good balance that helped folks transition from whatever they were doing prior to the service ... and still keep their attention and focus on God and His Word. Often when speaking, I would carefully watch the congregation and, if I appeared to be losing them, would cut it short!

Over the past 2-3 years (now more attending, than teaching/preaching), I've noticed a transition in church worship services. For one thing, only the singing and music part of the service is often referred to as "Worship"(?). For another, there seems to be a growing tendency to keep folks on their feet singing for 20+-minutes (which, sometimes leaves me feeling a little tired and manipulated) -- followed by a 20-minute 'lite' sermon.

I'm not particularly concerned with 'how I feel - or what I'm getting out of the service', but, I sometimes wonder (as I always have when leading the service), what the congregation in general, is getting out of the service... and if they are growing and being challenged --- or simply being 'occupied or entertained.'

Last edited by jghorton; 09-06-2014 at 05:13 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 05:06 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Not only do I peruse the words, we have a set of books that tells the historical developmental background of many of the songs. My most favorite is "It Is Well With My Soul." The author, Spafford, wrote the song after having lost his four daughters in a shipwreck where only his wife survived. Knowing the history of the song makes it much more meaningful.
Thats true,, especially do you know the history of "Amazing Grace".. its great just like that one you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity