Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:59 AM

45 posts, read 118,473 times

Advertisements

Looking for cities that spark new creative energies consistently.. and ones that foster the local arts well and hold them in a bit higher regard to the average citizen than say pro sports or the Hollywood machine.
1. New York City
Discuss the rest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 11:37 AM

815 posts, read 1,856,927 times
Doesn't it depend on the personal preference of the artists in question?
I know people would love NYC and those that hate it, I know people who would love Austin, and those that hate it. Both cities have a sizable arts community.
NYC of course has the most opportunity...but it also has the most competition. Double edged sword.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:45 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,698 times
2. Detroit- should be at the top of the list. It is becoming a global arts mecca with a strong foundation of local artists, artisans, and craftsmen, but it also attracts international talents

3. Cleveland- I am not overly familiar, but I keep hearing good things about Cleveland's art scene

4. New Orleans- seems like a natural location for artists. It's cheap, soulful, eclectic, and inspiring

5. Boise- for a smaller city, it has a reputation as being a destination for the electric arts scene

6. Grand Rapids, MI- If you didn't know, Grand Rapids has a very vibrant arts community and hosts very large shows every year

The above cities do not have large egos like the coastal cities. They are also inexpensive and have inspiring features, albeit in different ways.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 PM

45 posts, read 118,473 times
It definately depends on the artist. Wanting to discuss some of the big cities that artists are inspired by...but can also thrive in. I am personally picturing places like Pittsburgh, San Fran, and Seattle with their mixes of beautiful topography and urban coolness

Old 08-29-2011, 02:16 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I was thinking something similar, that it depends on the artist. What they're drawn to, what inspires them, etc.

I think my first thought on an "arts city" was Santa Fe, New Mexico although it might not be large enough to count as a "city" by C-D standards as its metro has less than 200,000 people. Also even then there's the "it varies from artist to artist" as I've heard of artists who found Santa Fe difficult or over-hyped. For larger cities maybe the Bay-Area or, if you want cheaper, the "Research Triangle" of North Carolina or something.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:35 PM

8 posts, read 19,153 times
I wouldn't default New York at number one anymore, simply because of the competition and industry establishment (and because it ranks behind several places for music and electronic media, IMO).

In no particular order: Grand Rapids, Austin, Ann Arbor, Tucson, Minneapolis, Bay Area (particularly north counties), Ogden, Denver/Boulder, San Antonio, Charlotte and Detroit.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:48 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Santa Fe, Albuquerque, and Taos, New Mexico. Really there is very palpable artistry and a vibrant creative class all over the state. Santa Fe is the 3rd largest art market in the country.

//www.city-data.com/forum/santa...est-place.html

Old 08-29-2011, 07:50 PM

815 posts, read 1,856,927 times
Wait, are we talking visual art...

what about performance art, literary art, film...NYC still has significant clout in these. particularly since it still has a stronghold on the media/publishing world. And of course, NYC is critic central and still a large "filter" for buyers/sellers/showcases.
The main argument I often see against NYC for an artist is that they are often priced out, simply b/c their work as an artist can't afford the high NYC rents.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:59 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Syracuse Art, Life & Tech SALT District « Near Westside Initiative

Syracuse Arts Directory

Syracuse Arts Home

Old 06-27-2017, 10:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Albuquerque new mexico

Even if a person is not an artist they would feel obliged to make art. I have sat enraptured for hours just from the color of the sky alone. Never anywhere have i seen a sky that color. They don't call it the Land of Enchantment for nothing. Hold a piece of turquoise so blue and so deep you feel yourself falling into it.

Like I said even if someone has never given art a second thought they can't help but want to make art just being there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City