Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:56 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,793,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
More isolated verses? And taken out of context, too?

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you. There is much more to many of these verses that is displayed here.

One is not expected to be perfect or to be God or Jesus. You can toss as many isolated verses at me as you choose. I've read my Bible.
Jesus quoted isolated verses also.

They stand on there own though you choose to ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 01:36 PM

874 posts, read 638,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus quoted isolated verses also.

They stand on there own though you choose to ignore it.
Again, I disagree with you. Isolated verses can say whatever you mean for them to say. Without context you don't have an overall picture and you sure don't have a message.

People who read the Bible one verse here or there or a few verses here or there, just don't get the whole picture; they don't get the message. I've read the Bible. I got the message. You can say what you choose about me, but it doesn't make it true.

PS. You are not Jesus.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Again, I disagree with you. Isolated verses can say whatever you mean for them to say. Without context you don't have an overall picture and you sure don't have a message.

People who read the Bible one verse here or there or a few verses here or there, just don't get the whole picture; they don't get the message. I've read the Bible. I got the message. You can say what you choose about me, but it doesn't make it true.

PS. You are not Jesus.
Well I have read the whole Bible and am quoting verses that stand on there own.

Learn the meaning of;

"I know the Lord and I keep His word."

Old 01-26-2015, 04:09 PM

874 posts, read 638,119 times
Quote:
Well I have read the whole Bible and am quoting verses that stand on there own.

Learn the meaning of;

"I know the Lord and I keep His word."
How very arrogant of you to assume that I do not know the Lord. I'm not one of your little chippies or a non-believer that has never read the Bible. You can't bully me as you do them. Any statement to me about how I don't know God and I don't know Jesus and I don't know what I read in my Bible just shows you are another self-righteous, holier-than-thou, Bible thumper who thinks you know the whole world and nobody is right but you. Take it somewhere else, jack, because it won't work with me. You have your interpretation and your opinion and I have mine. It is as simple as that. I'm not trying to sell you on anything.

You asked a question. I answered it with my interpretation of what I read. If you don't agree, that is fine. It is not incumbent upon you to agree. I've got no bone to pick with you or anybody else. My opinions are my own from what I have read and what I feel with my walk with God. It is a "take it or leave it" situation. Nobody changes his/her mind about convictions. We each walk our own path - whether it is to vegan or to God. We can discuss anything, but throwing out a verse here and there isn't the way I see it being productive.

Church has been doing that for far too long. They show you the Bible, they pick out a verse here or there, they tell you what it means and then they tell you how to read the Bible and how to interpret it. That is how they have convinced church goers that there is a burning pit of fire licking at all our heels, God is standing behind every tree with a lightening bolt in each hand waiting to strike you dead, God is mean and vengeful, Christians are going to heaven the minute they die, heaven is a place of big mansions on golden streets enclosed by a fence with pearly gates, God has chosen a select few to go to heaven and black people were put on this earth to serve the white man. It just goes on and on without ceasing. I gave that up 40 years ago. I'm simply not going back to that. An isolated verse or two here and there can be made to say whatever you want it to. That doesn't work for me. I had too much of that in church. You say your verses stand alone. I disagree. I don't think many of the verses stand alone. If they did, there would not be so much contradiction in the Bible.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:27 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,603,249 times
Quote:
Jesus said that,"Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees and scribes you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven."

It is possible to be perfect, righteous and Holy in the eyes of God but mainstream Christianity doe not know how.
How about then, You tell us how to be perfect!

Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
How very arrogant of you to assume that I do not know the Lord. I'm not one of your little chippies or a non-believer that has never read the Bible. You can't bully me as you do them. Any statement to me about how I don't know God and I don't know Jesus and I don't know what I read in my Bible just shows you are another self-righteous, holier-than-thou, Bible thumper who thinks you know the whole world and nobody is right but you. Take it somewhere else, jack, because it won't work with me. You have your interpretation and your opinion and I have mine. It is as simple as that. I'm not trying to sell you on anything.

You asked a question. I answered it with my interpretation of what I read. If you don't agree, that is fine. It is not incumbent upon you to agree. I've got no bone to pick with you or anybody else. My opinions are my own from what I have read and what I feel with my walk with God. It is a "take it or leave it" situation. Nobody changes his/her mind about convictions. We each walk our own path - whether it is to vegan or to God. We can discuss anything, but throwing out a verse here and there isn't the way I see it being productive.

Church has been doing that for far too long. They show you the Bible, they pick out a verse here or there, they tell you what it means and then they tell you how to read the Bible and how to interpret it. That is how they have convinced church goers that there is a burning pit of fire licking at all our heels, God is standing behind every tree with a lightening bolt in each hand waiting to strike you dead, God is mean and vengeful, Christians are going to heaven the minute they die, heaven is a place of big mansions on golden streets enclosed by a fence with pearly gates, God has chosen a select few to go to heaven and black people were put on this earth to serve the white man. It just goes on and on without ceasing. I gave that up 40 years ago. I'm simply not going back to that. An isolated verse or two here and there can be made to say whatever you want it to. That doesn't work for me. I had too much of that in church. You say your verses stand alone. I disagree. I don't think many of the verses stand alone. If they did, there would not be so much contradiction in the Bible.
I did not say you do not know the Lord. I was saying there is a deeper meaning to the verse. Jesus said a similar thing when He told a man to learn the meaning of ; "I desire mercy not sacrifice."

Seems obvious what it means but it is deeper than the obvious. Sorry you got so worked up.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I have been telling you.

"Serve the Lord with reverence and rejoice before Him."

Old 01-26-2015, 09:41 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,603,249 times
Quote:
I have been telling you.

"Serve the Lord with reverence and rejoice before Him."
Are you saying that God considers you perfect because of you works? It seem to me that you are. I'm not sure that you are but if you are, that is not the message of the bible.

Think about the only class of people that Jesus had harsh words for, worse than harsh, condemnation in fact.
They are the ones who strived to live lives in accordance to every tittle of the law and they considered themselves righteous for it. It's too easy for us to become just like the Pharisees and teachers of the law. I do fully agree with you that we are to serve the Lord with reverence and rejoice before him but we must always realize that we do not do this an any way nearing perfection. We can't be perfect servants the way Christ was. WE don't love God with ALL of our hearts, minds soul and strength the way Christ commanded us to. We will always be self serving to some degree or another. Thanks for the grace of God that forgives us for our imperfections and considers us perfect just as Christ Jesus is. He stands in my place before a Holy God.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that God considers you perfect because of you works? It seem to me that you are. I'm not sure that you are but if you are, that is not the message of the bible.

Think about the only class of people that Jesus had harsh words for, worse than harsh, condemnation in fact.
They are the ones who strived to live lives in accordance to every tittle of the law and they considered themselves righteous for it. It's too easy for us to become just like the Pharisees and teachers of the law. I do fully agree with you that we are to serve the Lord with reverence and rejoice before him but we must always realize that we do not do this an any way nearing perfection. We can't be perfect servants the way Christ was. WE don't love God with ALL of our hearts, minds soul and strength the way Christ commanded us to. We will always be self serving to some degree or another. Thanks for the grace of God that forgives us for our imperfections and considers us perfect just as Christ Jesus is. He stands in my place before a Holy God.
The son said; "The man who believes in me shall do the works I do and far greater than these because I go to the Father and whatever you ask in my name I will do so the Father will be glorified in the son."

Notice He says whatever you ask in His name He will do. He does it as the Father for the son or you if you choose to do it so the son or you will glorify Him, the Father. He is not saying so He will glorify the Father but anyone who chooses to do the works He did shall glorify the Father.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:44 AM

709 posts, read 379,097 times
Default Follow the Lord Jesus Christ

Quote:
21. Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. (Matt 19:21)

This call is a valid also in our time, to sell your extra part and to share the money to those who do not have nothin, or too less, and follow to Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity