Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:26 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,725,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It's hard for me to take Warden seriously when his litmus test for whether or not someone is choosing an easy path is whether or not they're willing to try to make every word of the bible fit together in a cohesive whole. That's the most important thing we should be concerning ourselves with? And here I thought the most important thing was learning how to love. NOPE, that's TOO EASY.
Once again you are proving your ability to MISQUOTE (not Jesus in this case! ). I stated that the LITMUS test is not about words, but about THEMES. That's very different, and I would have to give you an "F" in any undergraduate course where you took such liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:30 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,410,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Once again you are proving your ability to MISQUOTE (not Jesus in this case! ). I stated that the LITMUS test is not about words, but about THEMES. That's very different, and I would have to give you an "F" in any undergraduate course where you took such liberty.
Oh, yep, you got me Prof. I misunderstood you (not misquoted you). You said, "None of you do because you've chosen what I consider to be an easy path--either every single word is holy beyond or imaginations, or that it is by and large hogwash and we will pick and choose and condense what we say."

Because you used the singular "path", it seemed to me that you were clumsily* saying that IF people didn't take every word of the bible as holy, it must mean it's all hogwash for them. It wouldn't have been the first time someone has made that claim. It sure was confusing to have you contradicting the stance you'd been taking before about the bible not being infallible, so I'm glad you cleared it up for me. Mea culpa.

Although, the fact of the matter is that while I misunderstood the "every word holy" bit, I didn't misunderstand your accusation that people who don't accept your version of cherry picking consider the bible to be largely hogwash. Not nice, or accurate, Prof.

So, my misunderstanding aside, and your accusation aside, Warden, it's hard for me to take you seriously when you say the litmus test for whether or not someone is choosing an easy path is whether or not they're willing to ferret out the themes in the bible. Especially since you mean that they must ferret out the themes that you have concluded are there, and in the way that you say they should be ferreted out.. That's the most important thing we should be concerning ourselves with? And here I thought the most important thing was learning how to love. NOPE, that's TOO EASY.

* I'm not slamming you with the "clumsily" remark. It's not always possible to get things perfectly clear, nor is it always possible to take the time to do so, and I understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity