Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:37 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I have faith that my car will start every morning, but I have never read the owner's manual nor have I read the factory service manual. The "book" is not a source of faith, it is a guide. Faith is from the heart, not from written word(s) or stories.
That's nice. But it doesn't change the fact that Bible believing Christians put their faith in the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:30 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
For some reason this makes me feel so very, very sad, Pleroo . . .
It made me sad at first, too.

However, as I see it, the way I view things now would not be displeasing to Jesus as I imagine Jesus might have been. As I understand Jesus, his main purpose was always to assure people that God was good and loving and that they could approach God without fear and without need of any intermediary (person or sacrifice or anything else) to soften God's supposed anger. It seems to me that Jesus' point, if Jesus was truly wise, would have been that God's desire was for people to live in love for self and others, and that people could do that best when they were connected to the Source of love, without any fear hindering them.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:00 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,246,120 times
Romans 10:17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God". and it is written, in what we call the bible.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
Romans 10:17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God". and it is written, in what we call the bible.
The "word of God" is not fully contained in any one book, nor fully spoken by any one person. There may be truthful things contained within the bible (I believe there is), but that is not the only place that truth is found. People can hear "God's word" in many places.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:19 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,811,862 times
33 Immediately therefore I sent to thee; and thou hast well done that thou art come. Now therefore are we all here present before God, to hear all things that are commanded thee of God.

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The "word of God" is not fully contained in any one book, nor fully spoken by any one person. There may be truthful things contained within the bible (I believe there is), but that is not the only place that truth is found. People can hear "God's word" in many places.
I know that, but listen, John 20:30 "And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

so why are you not believing the thing that are written?.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:22 AM

Acts is good book to learn from. in essence there are verses concerning those who have not read the Bible. And there are countless. God does not discount them. His power is Authority.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Acts is good book to learn from. in essence there are verses concerning those who have not read the Bible. And there are countless. God does not discount them. His power is Authority.
yes, and true, that's why he have given us his Holy Spirit to reveal, discern, and understand. I am persuaded that God written word is true.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:27 AM

Let me clarify. Those that were unable to read the bible. or be taught what is written.
But be carefull.
In Jesus day there were Sadducees . Sadducees considered only the written Word to be from God.
Pharisees gave oral tradition equal authority to the written Word of God.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
I know that, but listen, John 20:30 "And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

so why are you not believing the thing that are written?.
Just because something declares itself to be necessary to believe does not mean it is, wouldn't you agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity