Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 12:27 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
No attacking or being disrespectful towards someone's Christian beliefs here.
I suggest you start start with your fellow Christians who are gay and lesbian. At least two have been on this thread. Then respect your fellow Christians who support their gay family members. Then respect those of us who are Christian and fully support the LGBT community. Why? Because WE are Christians and our faith tells us to treat ALL people with dignity and respect and love. My Christian beliefs tell me they are children of God, made by God, loved by God, fine just they way they are and they don't need to change OR go back into the closet because one group of people (on this thread the Christian fundamentalists) has decided they should.

Thanks.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-10-2014 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 12:44 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,657,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
In reality, all the posts that carry such sentiments
  • ... I don't believe in God.
  • ... Homosexuality is OK.
has been judged by God and stated as being idolatry
Colossians 3:5
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature:
sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.

I fail to see how two consulting adults loving one another could be deemed as idolatry. All of the things you are stating would apply to straight people as well.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:56 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,933,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
That would make sense if this the little arrow > doesn't point to > Christianity where that so called "a book that doesn't carry any weight" does in fact hold itself to being the absolute and sole source of the truth.

But your sentiments do in fact show why many Christians that used to frequent this forum do not bother posting here anymore.
And that little book contents are interpreted in how many different ways? If it was so clear cut, and so inerrant, you would not have all those different groups calling themselves christians arguing not only what is meant by it, but even how many books should be included.

Right?

Old 10-10-2014, 12:56 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Did you read why I started this thread? Have I judged anyone? I have said the behavior is not normal.
By claiming the behavior is not normal, you are judging gays. The fact that you are heterosexual doesn't mean being gay is abnormal. All it means is that gay behavior isn't normal for YOU and other heterosexual people. For gay people, it is normal to be homosexual.

Quote:
The behavior is not according to God's design.
Ah, back to the God thing again. I challenge you to prove to me that your God is the correct one, the one we should follow. I'm not bashing religion, not at all. Everyone has the right to believe in whichever God or Gods they choose. If religion gives them strength in their life, great. But how do you know for a fact that the Christian God is the "right" one? What if Buddhism is correct? Or Hinduism? My father is Hindu. My mother was Christian. They are both very tolerant of homosexuality. They both believe that their gods love everyone, no matter who they love in their lives.

Quote:
It's a health risk - 20 years less of a lifespan for homosexuals.
Where did you get that reduced lifespan idea from? I'm not believing that for a second.

Quote:
I have said unbelievers are not expected to follow God's Word on this.
You mean a bunch of men's ideas on what the Christian God thought, right?

Old 10-10-2014, 01:13 PM

10,093 posts, read 5,743,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I suggest you start start with your fellow Christians who are gay and lesbian. At least two have been on this thread. Then respect your fellow Christians who support their gay family members. Then respect those of us who are Christian and fully support the LGBT community. Why? Because WE are Christians and our faith tells us to treat ALL people with dignity and respect and love. My Christian beliefs tell me they are children of God, made by God, loved by God, fine just they way they are and they don't need to change OR go back into the closet because one group of people (on this thread the Christian fundamentalists) has decided they should.

Thanks.
So showing respect means I am suppose to deny my beliefs and accept homosexuality as something natural and normal? If we are talking about real life, I do respect and treat gay people like I would anyone else, as friends and neighbors. Just look at my recent posting history, and you'll see where I offered some advice to a gay person on how they could find some gay friendly groups or churches in the area.

But coming on here and saying that I'm a fundie who believes in an outdated book of lies and myths and worship an immoral God is disrespectful and offensive.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Quote:

But coming on here and saying that I'm a fundie who believes in an outdated book of lies and myths and worship an immoral God is disrespectful and offensive.
I've never done that. If someone else has, take it up with them. I have.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-10-2014 at 01:35 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 01:20 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,344,502 times
Quote:
So showing respect means I am suppose to deny my beliefs and accept homosexuality as something natural and normal? If we are talking about real life, I do respect and treat gay people like I would anyone else, as friends and neighbors. Just look at my recent posting history, and you'll see where I offered some advice to a gay person on how they could find some gay friendly groups or churches in the area.

No, showing respect is keeping your religion out of legislation. As long as you aren't pushing (legally or otherwise) your beliefs on others then you're free to believe whatever you want provided it doesn't intervene with other people's rights.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:42 PM

10,093 posts, read 5,743,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
No, showing respect is keeping your religion out of legislation. As long as you aren't pushing (legally or otherwise) your beliefs on others then you're free to believe whatever you want provided it doesn't intervene with other people's rights.

But it's ok to push your belief on me? Legalization of gay marriage is certainly pushing a belief. It is forcing all members of society to accept the union as equally natural and normal as traditional marriage. Your side acts like it's the religious people that want to take over and change the laws. But the reality is that it is the homosexual community that wants to change the already existing laws and traditional societal beliefs.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:52 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,503,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
I fail to see how two consulting adults loving one another could be deemed as idolatry. All of the things you are stating would apply to straight people as well.
You may fail to see because idolatry has to do with who sets the rules is God .... claiming exception to God's rules declares that such a person is making themself god of themself, which then is idolatry by worshiping ones self interests over God's standards.

The created rules by God are:

God created the female as the "helper suitable" to male Genesis 2:18.

God declared that everything as created was more than ok ... it was "very good" Genesis 1:31

God commanded people not to engage in homosexual behavior Leviticus 18:22

God commanded that those who do, he judges it as detestable Leviticus 18:22

God declares that it's sexually immoral Mark 7:21

God declares that being sexually immoral includes homosexuality 1 Corinthians 6:9,

God declares that marriage is between 1 man \ 1 woman Mark 10:7, Ephesians 5:31

God declares that sexual relations are to be between 1 man \ 1 woman Matthew 19:5 1 Corinthians 7:2

God declares that such relations (1 man \ 1 woman) are to be honored by all Hebrews 13:4

God declares those who do are sexually immoral will \ are:
God declares that it is something in which it can be overcome 1 Corinthians 6:12, Ephesians 4:22

Last edited by twin.spin; 10-10-2014 at 02:02 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 01:59 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,344,502 times
Quote:
But it's ok to push your belief on me? Legalization of gay marriage is certainly pushing a belief. It is forcing all members of society to accept the union as equally natural and normal as traditional marriage. Your side acts like it's the religious people that want to take over and change the laws. But the reality is that it is the homosexual community that wants to change the already existing laws and traditional societal beliefs.
Nothing is being forced on you at all. Marriage is a legally binding contract, it is a right of the people. Your religion has no right to control or legislate said contracts.

You don't want to marry a gay couple in church? Fine whatever! You have fun with that!

Thing is is that marriage is a LEGAL recognition of two people and NOT a religious one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity