Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 10:37 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,538,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I'm thinking you may be behind the times with your church. Your new Pope, the first man of integrity AND common sense in the office in decades is taking a different approach:

More Change in the Vatican: Pope Francis Fires Critic of Abortion, Gay Marriage | Occupy Democrats

I love this man. The bravest Pope in centuries.
That is because you only believe what the secular media writes about him. No Pope can go back on Mt Sinai to change the Ten Commandants. Yes, the Pope wants to welcome all people but he will never endorse gay sex or gay marriage. He can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 06:59 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,236,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That is because you only believe what the secular media writes about him. No Pope can go back on Mt Sinai to change the Ten Commandants. Yes, the Pope wants to welcome all people but he will never endorse gay sex or gay marriage. He can't.
I don't recall "thou shall not be gay" in the big 10.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:02 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,939,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I don't recall "thou shall not be gay" in the big 10.
Yeah, the big 10 are kind of devoid of a few "thou shalt nots".

You know, like slavery or pedophilia.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:46 AM

10,096 posts, read 5,751,134 times
Quote:
You are so wrong. My God hates your type of follower. You will be the goats on judgment day and crying out, "Lord, lord." You stand in the temple beating your chest and say, "Thank God I'm not like that homosexual over there!" While the poor gay person is trying to find someone to help him, accept him, understand his needs, and perhaps even find Jesus Christ. But you DENY him that right. I was saved in a fundamentalist church. I attended an SBC related college under a College President who had formerly headed the Gideon Bible Society. I studied scripture in college and came just three hours short of a double minor in Bible. Then God spoke to me and convicted me of the ugliness that too often arises from fundamentalism. Fundamentalism simply does not care about people. The only brother a fundamentalist wants is a twin brother. And guess what---Paul refuted Jesus. You can't say you believe in plenary inspiration and then go change what Paul wrote. He suggested to heap coals of fire on sinners heads by praying from them. The moment you begin to "explain" scripture--what it means--you have brought your prejudice to the table. And you clearly do that every time you post.

Ok so now you pull the bragging card? I don't care if you spent 20 years in seminary and have degrees. If you are going to disregard Paul and parts of the Bible then you lose your foundation.

Sorry, but your "holier than thou" rhetoric sounds a lot like the Pharisees that Jesus found hypocritical. You accomplish nothing by being condescending to Bible believing Christians.

Quote:

You and your fundamentalist buddies are the enemy of Jesus Christ in this country. I've provided the poll numbers showing youth from 16-29, including church going youth, believe Christianity to be homophobic and not following Christ. How clear can it be painted? You are driving people from Christ. 95% of the major problems in our country are caused by religious zealots trying to interfere with other people's lives. Do whatever you want--just keep your God-denying laws off the books and let people live in peace.
95% of the problems are caused by people thumbing their nose at God and living in sin. We could significantly reduce a lot of social problems if people obeyed God's laws on sex alone:

Less STDS
more stable marriages
children less likely to be violent and rebel
less teen pregnancy
less abortion

We are not the reason young people don't go to church. There are numerous reasons, one being just the way society has changed into a nonstop busy high stress lifestyle. People don't have time for church, it seems. The internet has also opened countless doors for Satan to influence people's minds. A young person can instantly have access to countless images and movies of perversion through the internet. No wonder they don't have a desire to go to boring church and seek God.

Quote:

And as a broken record I reply the same way again. It doesn't make any difference what I think--or what you think--real Christians are called to follow the example of Jesus--not follow the Bible, which at its very best is a guide.

No, if I truly followed Christ's example I would come after the bunch of you with a whip to drive you from the House of God. Instead He enjoins me to do as He commands and leave that judgment to Him. It will come.
Yet the same Christ said this:

Jesus replied, "Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. John 8:34

So by supporting gays, you are promoting a form of slavery.

Jesus also said that he called sinners to REPENT:

Jesus answered them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.†Luke 5:31-32

But your starch refusal to even acknowledge that homosexuality is a sin says a lot here.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:00 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
95% of the problems are caused by people thumbing their nose at God and living in sin. We could significantly reduce a lot of social problems if people obeyed God's laws on sex alone:

Less STDS
more stable marriages
children less likely to be violent and rebel
less teen pregnancy
less abortion
Tell that to Alabama & Mississippi. If I'm not mistaken, Mississippi is the #1 most religious state in US.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:46 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times
Quote:
...snip... Yes, the Pope wants to welcome all people but he will never endorse gay sex or gay marriage. He can't.
If he doesn't, one of the next two will.

The tide has turned.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 AM

251 posts, read 300,056 times
Gays don't have to explain themselves. You just have to accept it or shut up. It's so bad now where if you disagree with their decision, it's considered hate speech. It will be a time where all pastors won't even be able to speak on it. It's getting there now. At the church I recently left, a gay couple ask the pastor do his church allow homosexuals to attend. Now WHY IN THE WORLD would you go to a place where they study from a book that condemns your lifestyle? (To me that's just a reason to push the agenda more if the pastor says no to shut him up about if if he does accept.) Then get mad if the pastor does a sermon on it? I'm not sure if they actually attend the church but just saying I guarantee that would happen sooner or later at that place.
Now I don't agree with homosexuality, but I also don't care if you are one as long as you're not pushing it in my face every three minutes. On the other hand, I do understand that they want to learn about the bible or just fellowship in a church. Right to religion, etc. Just find it odd to want to be apart of a religion that finds what you do a sin.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:59 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,942,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corijei View Post
Just find it odd to want to be apart of a religion that finds what you do a sin.
It is not a religion that finds that, it is a religion with a disparity of opinions about that. Good idea to check so you don't go to an uptight congregation, though.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:26 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,728,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Tell that to Alabama & Mississippi. If I'm not mistaken, Mississippi is the #1 most religious state in US.
And Mississippi ranks as one of the states with the highest rate of teen pregnancy, crime, murder, gun violence and incarceration rate in the entire nation (Louisiana may be worse).

But, by GOD, they are religious!!

Old 10-24-2014, 02:29 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,728,352 times
Quote:
Well, you don't recognize the trends among Catholics in THIS country.

Quote:
While the Vatican vacillates over whether to welcome gays into the church, the new kids in the flock seem to have no qualms about the subject.

Close to 85% of self-identified Catholics between the ages of 18 and 29 believe gays and lesbians should be accepted by society, according to a 2014 survey conducted by the Pew Research Center.

These younger Catholics are also supportive of legalizing same-sex marriages, with 75% throwing their weight behind the concept.

The positive attitudes toward homosexuality are less likely to be found among older adults. About 57% of Catholics aged 65 and older told Pew that they believe homosexuality should be accepted.
Carol Kuruvilla, October 17, 2014
Overwhelming 85% Of Young American Catholics Support Gays And Lesbian, Pew Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity