Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:54 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,382,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
They are one in the same.
I just explained their differences. At length. And the best you can do is simply assert the opposite again without any substance?

The official definition of suicide is "To kill oneself". The definition of euthanasia is "the painless killing of a patient"

So even from the basic definition they are different things. One is the killing of oneself. The other is the killing of ANOTHER.

But I went at length into the other differences between them. You simply seem to have ignored that.

If you have to conflate two different words, with two different definitions, into one single meaning.... in order to fit the square block of your biblical opinion through the round hole of reality.... then you have an issue there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 09:01 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,411,850 times
Quote:
We are called to trust God, not man and allow God to work through us as long as we are on this Earth. Taking your own life is placing yourself above God and denying Him the opportunity to do a great work in your life. Even if you are going to die in a week, you don't know the lives you are going to touch for God in those seven days or if God has a different path fro your life and you live much, much longer.

But it is not up to you to decide that someone else must suffer through the agony of a terminal illness because of what you believe.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:53 AM

16,711 posts, read 15,712,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
As God said:
1 Corinthians 6:20
"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?

You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies"
and:
Job 27:8
For what hope have the godless when they are cut off, when God takes away their life?
and:
Ecclesiastes 8:8
As no one has power over the wind to contain it, so no one has power over the time of their death.

As no one is discharged in time of war, so wickedness will not release those who practice it.
Assisted suicide and those who practice it will not be released from their wickedness.
How did you twist those quotes around to mean suicide is a sin?

Old 10-21-2014, 11:48 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,256,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I just explained their differences. At length. And the best you can do is simply assert the opposite again without any substance?

The official definition of suicide is "To kill oneself". The definition of euthanasia is "the painless killing of a patient"

So even from the basic definition they are different things. One is the killing of oneself. The other is the killing of ANOTHER.

But I went at length into the other differences between them. You simply seem to have ignored that.

If you have to conflate two different words, with two different definitions, into one single meaning.... in order to fit the square block of your biblical opinion through the round hole of reality.... then you have an issue there.
There are two different definitions for euthanasia, it is either a physician-assisted suicide or a mercy killing. One is suicide, as no one would argue, and the other is murder. Again, if you choose to end your life before God's timing, you are saying that God doesn't know what He is doing. You are trusting in man instead of God and making God very small. God is not very small, He is very big and the Scripture tells us so...
We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. (2 Corinth. 4:8-10)
So the true question is, should we trust/follow ourselves or men or doctors or God? If the answer to that is 'God' as it should be for anyone who claims the salvation of Christ, then His plan and His will for us is what we ought to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
But it is not up to you to decide that someone else must suffer through the agony of a terminal illness because of what you believe.
Indeed you are correct, which is why these are not my opinions or decisions. The OP asked whether it was a sin, and I am assuming he meant is it a sin against God as that is what sin is. Well, then whoever is faced with the trial of a terminal illness, it is God they must lean on and He has revealed His will and nature in the Scripture.

If it is God's will that His children should take their own lives, I would ask that it be shown through the Scripture, because all I have read is the constant theme of trust, faith, endurance, patience and being a testimony of Christ. Don't you think Jesus could have taken His own life at any moment during His torture and execution? He knew His life and death had a purpose and even though He was tempted, He remained steadfast to His Father's appointed time. As those who are called to be 'Christ-like' we ought to do the same.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Indeed you are correct, which is why these are not my opinions or decisions. The OP asked whether it was a sin, and I am assuming he meant is it a sin against God as that is what sin is. Well, then whoever is faced with the trial of a terminal illness, it is God they must lean on and He has revealed His will and nature in the Scripture.

If it is God's will that His children should take their own lives, I would ask that it be shown through the Scripture, because all I have read is the constant theme of trust, faith, endurance, patience and being a testimony of Christ. Don't you think Jesus could have taken His own life at any moment during His torture and execution? He knew His life and death had a purpose and even though He was tempted, He remained steadfast to His Father's appointed time. As those who are called to be 'Christ-like' we ought to do the same.

It is your opinion that God reveals his will and nature through your scripture. It is further your opinion that your understanding of how to apply your scripture to this subject is the correct one.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
There are two different definitions for euthanasia, it is either a physician-assisted suicide or a mercy killing. One is suicide, as no one would argue, and the other is murder. Again, if you choose to end your life before God's timing, you are saying that God doesn't know what He is doing.You are trusting in man instead of God and making God very small. God is not very small, He is very big and the Scripture tells us so...
We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. (2 Corinth. 4:8-10)
So the true question is, should we trust/follow ourselves or men or doctors or God? If the answer to that is 'God' as it should be for anyone who claims the salvation of Christ, then His plan and His will for us is what we ought to do.

God desires mercy not sacrifice. Why do you think that mercifully sparing people a horrific, painful death would be a sin against the God whose "mercy never ends"?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:00 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,507,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
As God said:
1 Corinthians 6:20
"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?

You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies"
and:
Job 27:8
For what hope have the godless when they are cut off, when God takes away their life?
and:
Ecclesiastes 8:8
As no one has power over the wind to contain it, so no one has power over the time of their death.

As no one is discharged in time of war, so wickedness will not release those who practice it.
Assisted suicide and those who practice it will not be released from their wickedness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
How did you twist those quotes around to mean suicide is a sin?
"no one has power over the time of their death." Ecclesiastes 8:8 ... God
(most) suicides \ and all assisted suicides is the person determining their time of death ... thus it is a sin
"God takes away their life" .... who is it that ultimately takes life? .... God
"Why I’m Choosing to Die on My Own Terms” ..... a prime example of the sinful attitude

"
Do you not know that your bodies ...have received from God? You are not your own" .... God
(most) suicides \ and all assisted suicides is the person determining they have the right to do with their (or to the affected participant) body as they seem fit.

Our body \ life is not ours but is given \ "received"

Thus it is against the commandment of "Thou shalt not kill" and the commandment "Thou shalt have no
other gods before me"

"so wickedness will not release those who practice it" ..... God
God does not command \ approved of anybody to practice suicide.

Last edited by twin.spin; 10-21-2014 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 10-21-2014, 03:35 PM

9,695 posts, read 10,036,927 times
God said ``You will not kill``....So through Jesus repentance is a must and turning away from sin , as Killing is a sin ........So if you kill yourself you then cannot repent to Jesus , so you will have unrepentant sin on your table at your eternal judgement before Jesus, because you cannot repent after you pass away .......So if you did not loose your mind which Jesus would prefer for your eternal life then Jesus could judge you a sinner , and you could perish

Old 10-21-2014, 04:08 PM

18,253 posts, read 16,951,533 times
Pain is the overriding issue in this question. If a person is in intractable pain that cannot be relieved with drugs then they should be able to end their lives guilt-free without the fundamentalists hovering over them wagging their fingers at them saying they'll go to hell and burn forever if they do. But short of intractable pain I don't think it's good to end one's life.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:22 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,762,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
But short of intractable pain I don't think it's good to end one's life.
Might not be a good idea, but it should be up to each individual what they want to do with their own life. No one has any right whatsoever to condemn anyone for choosing to end their life. If anything, empathy is called for, not judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity